Dual fan setup

All considering a “2 fanâ€￾ setup should keep the following in mind:

A single Hayabusa fan will draw at least 6.5 Amps (I’ve actually measured its current draw). Adding a 2nd fan would cause twice as much current to be drawn (13 Amps for the 2 fans alone), which will easily allow your battery to discharge while operating at lower RPM such as when sitting in traffic at length or while only moving at a stop-n-go pace.

For this reason, you should make certain you have a manual means to at least cycle the 2nd fan off if idling for a prolonged period of time. Many with 2 fans have had their batteries discharge, as the charging system was never intended to provide the kind of current output necessary to power 2 fans while idling at length.

As for myself, I find just having the ability to manually override my OEM fan is good enough to keep things cool when stopped at length and not overly burden the charging system or battery. One of the key things to maintain for most efficient cooling of the engine coolant is to keep the area of the radiator that’s in front of the cooling fan as clean/bug-free as possible for max airflow/cooling for when the fan kicks on.

The area in front of the fan is also one of the direct paths of fresh incoming air when moving along. Therefore, this area is highly susceptible to bug carcasses and loss of cooling efficiency as a result. It pays to keep this area clean/bug-free, as it reduces the fan's "on time" thereby reducing power demand from the charging system/battery.

Back