after adding 2nd fan??

ham4864

Registered
i put every thing back together after adding the second fan.Now i'm burping the system.I have fill filled radiator,rock bike side to side,filled again,rocked again,filled again,till a can not put any more fluid in radiator. i start the bike and let run for 10 minutes.(Fans came on about half way mark).let bike cool off than rechecked and added more coolant.i then started and let run for 15 minutes.(fans came on as normal).i'm letting cool off.(now i have to go to work)I'll be back in 8hrs.:whistle:
The question is how do you know when you have put enough coolant in the system.I i'm correct the manual says it take 3.1 gallons.So far it only took 1.5 gallons.Is there a way to know when the thermostat is open.

i'm i doing these steps right.any tips,pointers,or advise would be great.should i let the bike run longer,should i unplug the fan switch.:please:help.

As a rule of thumb: After the bike cools check the coolant in the overfill tube. You should have enough between it's markings. Hope this helps!! JM2C

don't understand need more info.When you drain the system coolant is not removed from the overfill tube.

How much did you drain out! That will give a rough est of how much you'll be able to get back in, then add to the overflow bottle. Ill usually fill about half inch or so over the full line after I've burped a system at the cap and if it needs more it will draw it back in after a cool/hot/cold cycle.
Posted via Mobile Device

i just took the hose off of the water pump and let the rad. drain in a bucket.may be 2 gallons.how do you know if the thermostat is opening?

i made custom brackets for a second fan,that is why i drained the system. i may have read wrong..went back and read and its not gallons lol.

Last edited:
i made custom brackets for a second fan,that is why i drained the system.3.1 quarts i may have read wrong..

The question is how do you know when you have put enough coolant in the system.I i'm correct the manual says it take 3.1 gallons.So far it only took 1.5 gallons.Is there a way to know when the thermostat is open.

Ham4864 there's no way to see if the thermostat is open. To test the thermostat you will have to remove it and place it in water gradually raising the temp, while monitoring (See the manual).
Just monitor your gauge and the overflow bottle. And you should drain your overflow bottle if draining the radiator. You'll be surprised of the stuff that's in the bottom of that bottle. I hope I explained things better..sorry! JM2C

i put every thing back together after adding the second fan.Now i'm burping the system.I have fill filled radiator,rock bike side to side,filled again,rocked again,filled again,till a can not put any more fluid in radiator. i start the bike and let run for 10 minutes.(Fans came on about half way mark).let bike cool off than rechecked and added more coolant.i then started and let run for 15 minutes.(fans came on as normal).i'm letting cool off.(now i have to go to work)I'll be back in 8hrs.:whistle:

i'm i doing these steps right.any tips,pointers,or advise would be great.should i let the bike run longer,should i unplug the fan switch.:please:help.
It s 3.1 LITERS.... not gallons.

Back