Dropped My Busa

mikejmd

Registered
I dropped my 2009 Busa (4 mos. old) in a parking lot last weekend. I'll term it a senior moment. Actually, it was a last second right turn into a parking spot, and I neglected to straighten my wheel while applying too much front brake. The bike came to an abrupt stop. I did one of those "laugh-in" trike fall-over routines.
The damage was mild (some pits and scratches. I am posting pictures of the damage, and off course several repair questions.
1) The color rite paint is expensive. I have a Campbell/Hausfield turbine hvlp sprayer ($220) from home depot that I used to finish my customized 000 guitar kit. I also have a Pasch Anthem (variable nozzle airbrush) that I used to touch up a few scratches on it. I was spraying sealer followed by nitrocellulose laquer. The results were equal or better than a Martin factory finish.
The only areas of damage are shown in the photos. I will be using the Color Rite products (primer, base coat and top coat pearl white, silver top coat, and clear coat. Do you think air brushing alone could result in a seamless repair (assuming my skills are good)? I have been guilty of wasting material as I am not a professional painter.
I am thinking I would cut down material costs significantly using an airbrush. The last photo shows the finish I applied to my guitar.

2)The only part of the decals that are scratched-up are
the two arrowhead decals that are separate from the main Kanji decal (see pics). Are those two decals sold separately, or do I have to purchase the whole tape set from suzuki for that side? An alternative of course could be to remove those decals from both sides, but I would rather not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3)For the amount of damage I have can anyone suggest what quantity of each material to purchase? Of course, I would rather err on too much than not enough. The suggested thinning ratio for the base and top coats are 1:1

Thanks, Michael

P4240025.JPG

P4240026.JPG

P4240027.JPG

P4240028.JPG

P4240029.JPG

P4240030.JPG

P4240031.JPG

P4240032.JPG

P4240033.JPG

sorry to hear bro,

atleast you were on yours when you dropped it,I dropped mine in the garage the other day putting it on the rear stand,just wasnt paying attention.. and over she went,smashed mirror,scraped puig windshiled,cracked fairing,about a $300 rut-roo!! never did that before and trust me Ill never do it again:laugh:

live and learn brother,it can be fixed:thumbsup:

looks like some new decals and good rubbing compound may fix that like new

Last edited:
Been there done that --- :welcome: to the club!

Bike needs a small blemish... this way you're not so worried about it. :beerchug:

The finish on the guitar looks great but I think you may have a hard time spot painting the bike and making it match. Maybe a blend job might work. You may want to brush touch up if possible just to see how it turns out. Good Luck.

Back