taking front decals off?

bowhunter84

Registered
i am going to take all the decals off my bike and was wondering if the front ones are clear coated under the decals or on top of them?

is it going to hurt anything if i take them off?

i plan on using a heat gun is there any other tips you can share to make this an easier job?

thanks

The only ones clear coated are the ones on the tank.
Hair dryer and time is all you should need. :beerchug:

:poke:hair dryer and TIME....i have an 01 and i tried to take mine off, i was able to do one side but when it came to the other side..OMG..my fingers were killing me....i just made some new one (different color):type: and put it on top of the original ones. came out nice. :clap:
good luck with yours.

Yes, you can definitely use a heat gun but be careful as it's been pointed out that it can warp the plastic. I used a bit of Naptha (Lighter fluid) to remove any excess glue as it won't damage the clearcoat..

I did this to mine to put on chrome decals. The ones on the side are pain because the heat from the engine bakes on the adhesive. I used a heat gun it did not matter how hot or cold you got it the sticker came off and the adhesive stayed. I tried every product i could find and rubbed blisters on all 10 of my fingers and scratched my clear coat to pieces (buffed out). Finally I bit the bullet and paid the money to try Rapid Remover it took it all off in about 30 seconds and didn't harm the paint. Do a web search and find it, it is the only thing that will remove that adhesive because trust me I tried everything I could find. Goo gone, goop gone, gas, wd-40 anything you can think of I tried it with no luck. Rapid Remover spray on wait 10 seconds and squeegee off 3 - 4 times per side and it was gone. Barely even any rubbing. I'll look for the thread I made about this and post it for you.

Everyone is telling you that you can use a heat but to be careful not to melt the plastic and nobody is telling you to watch the paint? A heat gun will blister the crap out of paint before it melts plastic, same as a hair dryer. Use what Kv posted above. I remember his thread. He's already been there and done that.

I did this to mine to put on chrome decals. The ones on the side are pain because the heat from the engine bakes on the adhesive. I used a heat gun it did not matter how hot or cold you got it the sticker came off and the adhesive stayed. I tried every product i could find and rubbed blisters on all 10 of my fingers and scratched my clear coat to pieces (buffed out). Finally I bit the bullet and paid the money to try Rapid Remover it took it all off in about 30 seconds and didn't harm the paint. Do a web search and find it, it is the only thing that will remove that adhesive because trust me I tried everything I could find. Goo gone, goop gone, gas, wd-40 anything you can think of I tried it with no luck. Rapid Remover spray on wait 10 seconds and squeegee off 3 - 4 times per side and it was gone. Barely even any rubbing. I'll look for the thread I made about this and post it for you.

Yup, most of us that work in the sign industry and work with adhesive vinyls on a daily basis prefer Rapid Remover for adhesive removal. In the past 35 years I've tried just about every product out there and I can tell you that Rapid Remover is the safest & most effective product available for adhesive removal. By the way you are supposed to let it soak in for 60-90 seconds then squeegee off excess adhesive, after that you just wipe any remaing residue with a paper towel wetted with Rapid Remover. My shop is never without a 5 gallon can of Rapid Remover.

remover_group_new.jpg

well decals are off and rapid remover is AWESOME! took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish. i left the ones on the tank alone. i will cover them up with a set of tech specs when they get here.

now im trying to decide if i should leave it without decals or get some green ones made for it.

Back