drifting downhill with the motor off

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
yeah,, dumb question yadda yadda yadda

theres a big ass mnt i ride down pretty often it's normally at the end of the ride, and it's normally got loose gravel in the curves so "playing" is typically out of the question.

I always have the desire to just turn the motor off, and drift down in neutral (very very little traffic on this road). .. i always worry that it won't be good for the transmission because I'm assuming the oil pump isn't going to be pumping...

and yea I realize it's in neutral... but parts of the tranny are still going to be spinning..

enlighten me smart guys. is it gonna hurt somethign or not?

well there isn't oil being pumped around through the cooler... but then again the motor isn't on to heat it up either... I wouldn't think it would hurt much at all.... must be a steep hill if you can coast all the way down.

it will not hurt it for few times but it might in the long run. since your oil pump stopped pumping oil, your trans needle bearings that get fead oil from the pump will run pretty much dry, i wouldn't do it to my bike myself.

I would say no sweat. It's a manual tranny, you'll have a lot of wind moving through the radiator, I wouldn't worry...

But thats just me.

haha,, 2 for, 1 against...

as far as the hill it's just a lazy slope.. you would pick up quite a bit of speed.. but even drifting you'll hafta use the brakes cuz there are some major turns on the way down...

just a lil ole crooked one lane mnt road ya know. 40mph tops probaly

Angel gear is never a good choice
by turning off the engine, you are removing one of your avenues of control
I would leave it running and engaged, you just don't know what silly accident could happen, like a vehicle coming up behind you blasting it's horn coz the guy has lost his brakes .
sad.gif

Back