Downsizing rear sprocket

Going from 43 to 40 tooth rear sprocket and because bike has abs, I heard someone bring up a point that the rpm and speed will be different and ecu needs to be flashed. Is this true?
I don’t get how one thing has anything to do with the other. I don’t see people flashing their car or truck ECUs when they get 24in wheels or 40in tires.

I don’t get how one thing has anything to do with the other. I don’t see people flashing their car or truck ECUs when they get 24in wheels or 40in tires.

Alot don't, but many do(cars), and it's just a speedometer recalibration.
Snap-on Versus, Solus, or similiar diagnostic tool can do that.
A seperate or piggyback unit like a Speedohealer for a bike is not needed.

Going from 43 to 40 tooth rear sprocket and because bike has abs, I heard someone bring up a point that the rpm and speed will be different and ecu needs to be flashed. Is this true?

I don't see it as a problem; as the abs is measuring the actual speed of the wheel(the rings on the hubs), it's not reading the speedometer.
But, it is a good idea to buy a Speedohealer to recalibrate the speedometer for any gearing or tire size change, so your mph and odometer are acurate.
The stock speedometer is off around 7% anyway.

View attachment 1590064[/QUOTE]
Alot don't, but many do(cars), and it's just a speedometer recalibration.
Snap-on Versus, Solus, or similiar diagnostic tool can do that.
A seperate or piggyback unit like a Speedohealer for a bike is not needed.
I don't see it as a problem; as the abs is measuring the actual speed of the wheel(the rings on the hubs), it's not reading the speedometer.
But, it is a good idea to buy a Speedohealer to recalibrate the speedometer for any gearing or tire size change, so your mph and odometer are acurate.
The stock speedometer is off around 7% anyway.
Yeah, I was referring to calibration for proper ABS operation purposes. I do have a speedo healer for when I switch between the different sprockets I have.

Yes, ecu needs flashed(sorry, didn't see that earlier).
The flash has nothing to do with the abs either. The abs is a complete stand alone unit.
The ecu needs flashed to remove the top speed limiter, otherwise you can't go faster than 186mph.
With it off, the gen2 is capable of 197mph with stock 18/43 gearing.
More timing cann be added at lower rpm and the secondary throttle plates can be set to open a more efficiant rate.
As well as a few other things.

The gearing has nothing to with the abs,
they are totally different circuits.
Your speedometer will be way off!

I’m Currently running 19/42 on my 2009 as suggested by a forum member and had to remove (as in, set to 0) my speedo healer, because my speedometer is pretty much on the money compared to my GPS without speedohealer correcting anything. Your 18/40 would be about the same, again............ per the gear commander website.

Pretty sure you will be close to correct speed but believe you may be traveling slightly above what the speedo states possibly with -3 teeth. Really nothing to worry about either way.

Pretty sure you will be close to correct speed but believe you may be traveling slightly above what the speedo states possibly with -3 teeth. Really nothing to worry about either way.
+3 will be more than slightly above....

Speedo will NOT be way OFF with 40 tooth . it will be Right On . However Odometer will be WAY OFF 5.4 miles for every 100 actual miles ridden via GPS . So ride 100 on bike it will really be 105.4 true miles . Not a big deal . But a 40 tooth will not have much chain adjustment using a 18 up front . I tried 19/40 for a bit , and axle was at back of arm with nearly no adjustment left . with a 18 it may have none , and be to lose .
Best thing is just put a 19 up front , and call it a day :) Since I changed gearing on my 2014 ABS bird the Odometer shows 26,750 miles . There is an additional 1428.3 miles not shown . I do not care , and enjoy the speedo being correct with no speedo healer device wired in taking up room / weight .

If you zoom in a little 75 mph speedo , and 75 mph GPS in bottom left corner . A little blurry
19/42 with a 190/50/17 rear tire

Real speed.JPG

The bigger issue if you are stock arm and chain is you may not be able to adjust a 40T to work. If your chain is stretched you don't have enough adjustment on the factory arm. If you haven't bought the sprocket I'd recommend a 41T... ;)

Speedo will NOT be way OFF with 40 tooth . it will be Right On . However Odometer will be WAY OFF 5.4 miles for every 100 actual miles ridden via GPS . So ride 100 on bike it will really be 105.4 true miles . Not a big deal . But a 40 tooth will not have much chain adjustment using a 18 up front . I tried 19/40 for a bit , and axle was at back of arm with nearly no adjustment left . with a 18 it may have none , and be to lose .
Best thing is just put a 19 up front , and call it a day :) Since I changed gearing on my 2014 ABS bird the Odometer shows 26,750 miles . There is an additional 1428.3 miles not shown . I do not care , and enjoy the speedo being correct with no speedo healer device wired in taking up room / weight .
Thanks for the info c10, speed is real close compared to gps. I actually lost top end, going to take it to a dyno shop and get ECU flashed. I had to shorten the chain about a link and a 1/2, that was pretty easy. Down the road i am going to carbon fiber wheels and possibly some engine mods.

It's always 2 links on chain never 1.5 as you would not be able to put it back together ;)
On top end hold 5th till you get power mods.
A strong gent 2 should be able to pull 5th to redline geared 19/42 but not 6th. About 10,800 is all mine will pull in 6th geared that way but that is 196 mph :)

It's always 2 links on chain never 1.5 as you would not be able to put it back together ;)
On top end hold 5th till you get power mods.
A strong gent 2 should be able to pull 5th to redline geared 19/42 but not 6th. About 10,800 is all mine will pull in 6th geared that way but that is 196 mph :)

What mods and what size rider?

An average size person with the "correct/basic" mods should have no trouble pulling that at all....

Just light 511 wet, 145 pound rider, full exhaust / ECU flashed / K&N air filter.
I'm sure you know stock gearing is 18/43.
When I ran it to 196 bike was about 530 wet, had touring screen with mra X screen installed, and rear rack.
Maybe with a stock screen / no mirrors it might hit 200.

I run 18/40 and think it is the best combo for the Busa. But the tune or the so called flash has to be fixed. You have to fix more than a flash. The stock tune is junk so you need to get after certain areas. I have spent a lot of time with the tune and have more power over the stock crap. I love the 18/40 and the tune You have so much power and control. People think that a big gear kills horse power or speed. Yes it does so fix the tune. I developed this combo over the years by testing. No dyno. I think back when I first bought this bike 08 I hated this thing. Now I love this bike more in control of power when you ride you just hunt your prey and mow them down.

Back