Down pipes

Jibit

Never Forgotten
with the guys with down pipes, how loud are they, are they tolerable? I currently have a heat wrapped piped and muffler but people keep telling me I'm loosing a lot of horse power from it, the only problem is that I like to ride, a lot! I don't need problems with the cops and I don't want something that gets annoying after an hour or so of riding

Greetings and Welcome!

Post some pics of your bike.

Someone will be with you in a moment.
smile.gif

Nothing like a pair of ear plugs wont cure. What kind of kit are you running?

I don't mind wearing ear plugs but I don't want to be annoying to my fellow riders either............don't laugh but its a Mr. Turbo kit

I run a ghetto stage one with just a dump pipe and it isnt as loud as you would think,the turbo muffles it alot,besides it sounds killer,and i ride for hours at a time!!It is only loud when you are really in it!!
race.gif

dump pipes are roughly the volume of a full race system on a NA bike. Although its a different type of loud that is hard to quantify. The noise level doesn't change a whole lot with different RPM's and throttle amount, unlike most exhaust systems that are much quieter when you're "off the cam".

I've done both several times, my last system I had two different exhaust systems that I could bolt on in no time and would switch between them often. At the race track I'd run the dump pipe, and on the street I'd run the full system. The full system (as you probably already know) is extremely quiet, almost as quiet as a stock bike. I personally like the stealth, both from the cops and from annoyed citizens with cell phones
mad.gif

It just sounds different,takes some time to get used to.Nothing sounds better up there around 10 grand though!
wink.gif

I run my dump pipe out the back side.  Never been bothered...
doesnt' the length cause a problem with the spool of the turbo?  do you have it wrapped for the heat?
I'd be curious about that also. I'm not a fan of a single exhaust on a Busa let alone a low mount. Unfortunately (depending how you look at it) the system I purchased came with a full exhaust. I may build a mid pipe so I can keep my dual high mounts. However if this will kill power I'll go another route. Hence I like your out the back/bottom idea.

its all a question of back pressure. The easiest way to find out if its a problem or not, is to put a pressure gauge close to the turbo in the dump pipe. Depending on the amount of boost you're running, I'd suggest anything over 5 psi is too much, although if you're running very high boost, that might not be a realistic figure.

I'm building a dual system for my bike, not just for the looks, although I do like it, its mainly to reduce back pressure. If you pick free flowing cans, they will reduce back pressure notably vs a single can. I'm using a set of TL Yosh RS-3's I got off a friend, they are extremely free flowing, have a 2" ID baffle....loud as hell on a TL, but quiet as a whisper on a turbo bike.

Ninja Eater thank you for the picture. I think that is the route I'm going to go. I mocked up the full exhaust tonight and the can won't clear my swing arm. (250 arm) I'm not certain if I want to cut up a $500 exhaust or just order a $150 dump pipe or a buch of U bends and make my own.

Ninja Eater did you make that pipe or did you cut up a full turbo exhaust system?

A dump runs $150 and looking at it it would take about $90 worth of material to make one including buying a turbo flange. So is it worth it to save $60 to sit out there and cut & weld? Probably not.

(Jibit @ Aug. 05 2006,14:02) ............don't laugh but its a Mr. Turbo kit
Why do you say dont laugh its a Mr Turbo system? I am looking at buying a bike with a MR Turbo system on it.
BTW this bike also has full exhaust, but I want to do a dump pipe. MR Turbo sells a Banana pipe kit now.

i had a front exitying dump on my stg1 busa and never liked it. its loud and reverbs off the road. nobody will ever want to ride next to you. it also leaves your shoe and pant leg reeeking like fuel, even on a properly tuned bike. not to mention you have to butcher your plastics.

a rear exiting dump isnt a bad idea, but truely the full exhaust system is probably only robbing you of 2-3%, hp wise.

my dump pipe has made my right shoe yellow, my pants always stink and my rear brake lever and reae set are gold in color from the exhaust. i dont think its real loud...nothing like a harley or chopper. but when u get the rpm's up...IT SOUNDS BAD ASS!!
super.gif

(Uaintlobusa @ Sep. 23 2006,11:55)
Why do you say dont laugh its a Mr Turbo system? I am looking at buying a bike with a MR Turbo system on it.
BTW this bike also has full exhaust, but I want to do a dump pipe. MR Turbo sells a Banana pipe kit now.
the only reason I said that is because I've been getting a lot of crap from local guys, mostly that race.  I wasn't sure of what response I would get here.  Personally I think all turbos are generally the same, its just a matter of how reliable they are and how they spool up.........and who tunes it.

(Jibit @ Oct. 03 2006,15:49)
(Uaintlobusa @ Sep. 23 2006,11:55)
the only reason I said that is because I've been getting a lot of crap from local guys, mostly that race.  I wasn't sure of what response I would get here.  Personally I think all turbos are generally the same, its just a matter of how reliable they are and how they spool up.........and who tunes it.
OK, cool, I was worried there for a minute, I ended up buying that bike (with the MR Turbo kit) the bike is being shipped to me now, I will get it next week.
It also has full exhaust, which I plan to change.
The guy Im getting the bike from had the bike shipped to MR Turbo anf they did the install, and did a little top end motorwork to it.
I caint wait to ride it

Back