DORK OF THE BOARD AWARD

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
What a week for the stupidest busa owner on this forum...myself!

1) Got the itch to see if I could tinker with my baby and do my own oil changes, took 45 minutes to get fairing (right side "under cowl") off and 20 minutes to get it back on. Is this a world record for slowness in removal of a fairing?

2) Discovered radiator hose clamp completely loose and hanging around the middle of the hose instead of at interface between radiator and beginning of hose. (you guys are right about dealers....they should have seen this at 600 or 4000 mile "inspection"...unless they forgot to tighten it up themselves which pisses me off. But the bike does run fantastic.

3) Tried every combination of layering, Gortex garments, scarfs, sweaters along with my new Vanson leathers ....in an attempt to keep warm in 50 degree riding weather. Finally, I look at the Vanson as I'm trying to take a few bugs off the surface and notice the fr**king jacket is perforated and the vents were in full open position....(I deserve nobel prize in Dorkiness for this one) So I went and bought yet another jacket (no perforations) and it works very very well.

:withstupid: :withstupid:

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Careful when shopping to uplift your humour, you may buy a skirt and some high heels. :D

Okay Babuski...since you just did it yourself, I have a some questions for you. BTW...you don't have that DORK title..I DO!! ;)

I've been trying to find out if the oil drain bolt has an o-ring or a crush washer. Did you see this mysterious item and can you illuminate me on it's elusive properties?
Is it metal or rubber? Did you replace it or use the old one? Did you torque the bolt or just tighten it by hand.
BTW...I'll probably take longer than you to remove and install fairing. Who cares? :) I want to make sure I don't scratch or bang it up. I ain't playing "Beat the Clock". I'll leave fast pitwork to NASCAR :D

Dep
P.S. Schaumberg isn't that far from me. Wanna meet up some time for a cruise? We could switch to snowmobile suits by then!!     :bounce:

Hey babuski...it's better than being a Darwin Award recipient... :)

The fairing's a pain in the arse...but it's because we want to keep it intact and not scratch the damn thing up...it's out of love that we take so long...plus, I had a "hey, what's this piece go to?" incident when I took my fairing off...thankfully, a thorough comparison to the other side showed me where the piece went...only took about 30 minutes!

Can't help you with the jacket problem...I'm blonde and I resemble that...I can see me doing the same damn thing...sad, but true!

:tounge:

Dep....it is a metal washer...the manual refers to it as a gasket. It is not rubber (not on a 2003 busa at least) it is not an o-ring.

I torqued it down with a wrench and used a new metal washer (or gasket....) It wasn't that hard to get off but a pain nonetheless given the amount of time it took to get the fairing off. My fairing was already scratched due to my dropping the bike so I took it as an excellent chance to practice.

As far as riding....next year perhaps (I got some travel coming up and then it will be snowing...where do you live in IL?

Props to anyone who works on their own machine. I teach auto shop so I have seen true dorks at work (or maore accurately at idle!) If you got the job done, you are not a dork!
:super:

Ninja and MickeyD....thanks for the encouraging words..something that has made this forum outstanding.

Now...will those spark plugs be easier to remove or are those plug caps a pain too? Haven't even lifted the tank yet to check filter and plugs....

what perils await me?

babuski-

You are one step ahead of me. I still havent changed my oil yet bro. :blush:

Heh, took me about two hours of beating my head against the wall to get the rear reflectors off... No damn shortcuts there...

Dep....it is a metal washer...the manual refers to it as a  gasket.  It is not rubber (not on a 2003 busa at least) it is not an o-ring.  

I torqued it down with a wrench and used a new metal washer (or gasket....) It wasn't that hard to get off but a pain nonetheless given the amount of time it took to get the fairing off.  My fairing was already scratched due to my dropping the bike so I took it as an excellent chance to practice.

As far as riding....next year perhaps (I got some travel coming up and then it will be snowing...where do you live in IL?
make sure you replace the washer each and every or at the very least every other oil change. Teflon works fine also.

babuski, don't feel bad. I was scrounging around in my tool box for my favorite 10mm wrench and couldn't find it anywhere. I started getting pissed and, after a few choice expletives, finally realized I was holding it my other hand...! :blush:

That's alright.  A couple of weeks ago I was adding oil to my car when, three quarts later, realized I didn't put the new oil filter on.  You can guess what my garage floor looked like.

don't feel bad the first Busa we got in the crate at the shop Suzuki never sent a setup manual talk about where does this go??? :cussing:

I think we all have done some dumb things with a wrench. I could probably write a book. I think the topper is riding down the road years ago on my Harley and realizing I hadn't tightened up the fork tube clamps. Looked down and the left tube had already slipped out of the top clamp. Kind of thing that gives you nightmares. Good thing I don't work on airplanes.

Hey Babuski & Deputy, I don't live far either. Lets set up ride on the other side of winter here. :beerchug:

You got it done and thats all that counts every thing else including the time just adds to the joy of owning a busa ...... Or at least that what i tell myself when i've spent all day working on my bike -doing the 20 minute fix in just under an hour lol

Back