Does this bike generate a lot of heat or is it just me?

Johnny Bravo

Registered
First, I want to say I've been reading these forums for a little while and have already gotten a lot out of them. I've only had my 08 for about 10 days and have used the "HOW TO" on the rear fairing removal, and I've performed the "trunk mod" with the Home Depot trashcan. In addition, I've raised the handlebars 1" and ordered the Tiger Racing glove box and a Puig double bubble windscreen. All after researching what you guys had to say. So thank you for that.

Admittedly, I've been away from sport bikes for a couple of years, but I don't remember my CBR 954rr being this dang hot to sit on.

Today was a warm day, and I was wearing my Draggin' jeans, boots, yada yada, so I know I was in heavy gear, but at the risk of TMI, my "crotchal region" was sweating profusely. I could literally feel heat almost pouring out of the fairings at me and it felt like heat was even coming at me from behind my butt.

The temp gauge wasn't reading hot....it was just me that was hot. Just didn't know if that was totally normal or not.

One of the things that prompted my question is that a fellow Busa owner noticed that my bike is missing the lower v fairing from behind the front wheel. It's the little plastic "scoop" looking thing that would appear to direct air to the radiator. I don't know why mine is missing, but it is. It's only a $30 part, so I may order one. But I didn't know if one thing had anything to do with the other. It doesn't look like that would keep hot air from blowing at me even if it was installed, but I don't know.

This is the piece I'm talking about:

mp2u043850-2008-suzuki-gsx1300r-hayabusa-lower-v-panel-3.jpg

I guess I'm just wondering if it's normal to get hot riding this bad boy.

I hate to waste my first post on a seemingly stupid question, but holy crap was I starting to get hot and sweaty while riding today.

I promise I'll have something worth while to post at some point, but the heat/missing plastic piece has me concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard!!! As for temp.. This monsters feel that way. Personally I'm looking into a full exhaust to eliminate that oven that sits between your feet(catalytic). I'm always reading here how that helps a lot !!!

OK first there's no stupid questions here. Everyone has to start as a newb(I'm still one) you started with some good mods that will make the ride nicer. Yes she gets you hot at slow speeds or city driving. I promise once you get used to her and get up into triple digits at warp speed you won't notice that heat. In the summer I run her close to E everytime so I can fill the tank up with alot of nice cold gas. It cools the boys off for a little bit before that gas gets warm. Have fun and welcome to the madness

Welcome to the org.

Must say I've never noticed my Busa getting hot, even in a lot of traffic around town.

It's a great cold weather bike but it sucks in traffic during summer.

I sold mine specifically because I was moving to a warmer State.

Yes mines gets hot in traffic or when its just hot out. The temp hand reads below the half way point but my legs be on fire. i stopped wearing shorts when its pretty hott outside. Long pants shield my legs better

Yes mines gets hot in traffic or when its just hot out. The temp hand reads below the half way point but my legs be on fire. i stopped wearing shorts when its pretty hott outside. Long pants shield my legs better

That's EXACTLY how I felt yesterday. Just wanted to make sure that was normal.

Don't get me wrong, a hot day on a bike is better than pretty much any day not on a bike. I don't mind my legs being hot when I'm sitting in traffic if that's just how the bike is designed. Having ridden scoots and cruisers for a while, I'd just forgotten how hot it can be sitting over the motor. But if that's normal on this thing, then that's all I needed to know. Just wanted to make sure my bike wasn't doing something unusual.

And thank you all for the quick replies. I'm loving the bike. A couple more appearance/comfort mods and some more seat time and I'll start looking into the performance stuff.

I also ordered some grip puppies (I guess I'm getting old) and I'm going to call Ball-Z today to inquire about one of their custom seats. Looks like it sets you down "in" the bike another inch or so, which would make the ride even more comfy and take even more pressure off my wrists and palms when riding.

I may try to convince myself that a full exhaust isn't for performance, it's for comfort. I am doing it to cut down on the heat. Yeah. That's it. It's to keep me cooler while riding. :)

Thanks again, guys. I look forward to more seat time, more mods and more time on this forum.

Welcome to the org.

Must say I've never noticed my Busa getting hot, even in a lot of traffic around town.
Same here....my busa doesn't seem any diff than my 14, 1100, or any other bike I can think of offhand. But I have been riding for over 30 years so maybe I'm just used to it? I do know that getting rid of the stock exhausts on all my bikes made a big diff in the level of heat I felt :thumbsup:

My 08 get a little hot as well. My gauge does not read its hot but I can feel it. When the fan is on it is really bad in traffic. I think its just the neture of the beast. I am going to get with Sixpack77 soon and do the ECU editor to change when the fans come on to see if that helps. That is something you might consider. O :welcome: this is a great place:thumbsup:

You think thats hot try riding a 97 zx11.
I live in south Florida and ride all year round. It gets hot out there of course but bike never goes above line in temp gauge. That piece your missing does serve to scoop air up and throw it onto radiator so I'm sure when moving it helps cool somewhat.

The bike does get hot in the summer like everyone else has said. It is normal with the stock exhaust..
Congrats on the new bike. Where are the pics??:whistle:

Let me know if that piece cools your legs down any. I'm missing that piece too! and noticed that my legs are a lot hotter than I am used to (but then again, I had mostly ridden 600-750's)

I actually think that piece may make it worse on your legs, but better on the motor. More air flowing through the motor and coming out the sides would be going through the radiator, making the motor cooler, but your legs hotter. But I'm just guessing.

yzguyfl said:
Let me know if that piece cools your legs down any. I'm missing that piece too! and noticed that my legs are a lot hotter than I am used to (but then again, I had mostly ridden 600-750's)

I actually think that piece may make it worse on your legs, but better on the motor. More air flowing through the motor and coming out the sides would be going through the radiator, making the motor cooler, but your legs hotter. But I'm just guessing.

Yeah it would be better for the motor

Just a few pics on the day I brought it home. I need to hide the keys from my 17 month old little boy. He loves his daddy's toys. He points to the Viper and to the bike and says, "Vroom vroom, dadda."

Just last Saturday I added the soupy 1" handebar risers and did the trash can trunk mod. Last night, I installed my Tiger Racing hump mod. Now I'm just waiting for my Grip Puppies and Puig Double Bubble windscreen to arrive. :)

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

Back