Does stainless steel rust if scratched?

Unless you have some weird stainless steel plating, no. Stainless steel is an alloy, should be solid all the way through.

All depends on how it is maintained, the environment it lives in. Being in SW Florida and in a busy kitchen I have seen SS rust if not properly taken care of. Bleach and harsh chemicals do not serve well in the care of. We use a SS polish and protectant on almost all the surfaces in the kitchen. Neglect and exposure are probably the biggest contributors to it's degradation, I'm sure it is the same for bike parts.

The idea that stainless steel is impervious to rust is a misnomer of epic proportions. Only the highest grades of stainless are truly rust resistant, such as 316 stainless which is typically used in the harshest conditions. Pots and pans rust primarily because they often made with a low grade stainless steel and exposed to heat, which actually degrades the chemical resistance of the steel over time.

But the idea that a scratch would increase or cultivate rust is not likely. If stainless steel is going to rust, it will do so on every surface.

The idea that stainless steel is impervious to rust is a misnomer of epic proportions. Only the highest grades of stainless are truly rust resistant, such as 316 stainless which is typically used in the harshest conditions. Pots and pans rust primarily because they often made with a low grade stainless steel and exposed to heat, which actually degrades the chemical resistance of the steel over time.

But the idea that a scratch would increase or cultivate rust is not likely. If stainless steel is going to rust, it will do so on every surface.

+1 on what you said. Could'nt have said it better

Next time you're in the appliance section at a store bring a small magnet. A kitchen magnet. Put it on the "stainless steel" refrigerators and see if it takes hold. Most will hold the magnet because they are cheap stainless or just coated to look like stainless.

True high quality stainless such as 316 does not rust if scratched..

As a general rule, stainless will only rust if starved for oxygen, such as if banded by another metallic object. I would say in your case, no.!!

Short answer is no.

Long answer is that a rich nickel chromium material corrodes and forms an oxidation layer almost immediately. The oxidation layer protects it from further corrosion. The corrosion is however stainless, meaning it is not visible to the eye. If there is visible rust on stainless steel, it is due to impurities, such as cleaning it with something which contains a iron ferrous substance.

and if you work with stainless in a mostly mild steel shop for instance, brake it with every dies, use a sanding disk you've already used on mild steel and so on, then yes.
You gotta work it in a very clean environment
Boy you should have enough answers on here yes? :laugh::laugh:

Some of you guys took your childhood chemistry set waaaay more seriously than i did!! :laugh:

:thumbsup:

Back