Does my salvation lie within the airbox mod?

micronp450

Registered
2002 Busa, PC3 tuned by Del's performance (169 rwhp). Here's the deal... running the 1/4 I drove the bike down the strip and got a 1.78 60ft time and ran 9.9@141mph. Right after that run Del ran the bike with first a 1.64 60 ft. time and ran a 9.9@139mph than right after that ran a 1.60 60ft time and ran a 9.9@138mph. Riding skill is out of the question here because you can see the dramatic difference in the 60ft time that he got over me and runs these bikes all day long in the 8's and 7's. So I'm def. loosing power on the big end AND OVERALL since he has a bike with 5 less HP and is running mid 9's. I'm thinking I should be in the 143-145 mph range @ 9.6's. He's convinced that I need to do the airbox mod and that will pick my MPH up drastically. I will be doing that in the next day or so but wanted everyones opinion. I can never seem to go over 140 mph, it always hovers around 139. The only reason I'm skeptical is that I think their are a lot of bikes out their running higher MPH with a stock airbox. I just wanted some opinions and really don't wanna add anything that will act like a band-aid.... thanks a bunch!

Justin

Stock gearing? Tire pressure? Which gear are you in going through the traps?

The airbox mod will help, but you'll have to have it remapped for the extra air flow.

I just have a 16t in the front. My tire pressure is alwys somewher ebtween 22-35 depending on track conditions. I want to say I'm going through the traps in 4th. It helps using Del cuz one of his two shops is at the racetrack. He didn't mention anything about changing the map but we didn't evne get to that part yet so.... Junkie is the air box mod jsut a band aid?

Its not a band aid,it will help,but if you do it,You WILL need to remap,go back to the stock gearing and see if your mph goes up.Feather the clutch out of the hole and get to wide open as soon as possible feathering when necessary in 1rst and second,prolly wont need to in 3rd.

Back