Does anyone regret modifying their stock exhaust?

Darkie You picked the atitude with your 1st post . If you think your 6 hp gain is solely due to your cans , than thats just wonderful. , dim witted, but wonderful. I think if you asked people who know a pile more you and me combined ,I think the general thinking would be that a good part on that gain was the mapping. The cans maybe worth 3. The latest pipe to be considered one of the best made , showed a 11 hp gain at peak rpm, the ti force sumo. And was with remapping as well.
As far as cost goes... with some internet shopping , as you put it , you can find quality, full exhaust for 5-700 . And get results that actually mean something.

I was merely responding to your "they do nothing for hp" misinformation. This WAS your quote right? Well, yes in addition to a remap, they DO provide a hp increase, ill grant you that. BUT yes, it DOES take a remap to get the FULL systems to work well too. And the throttle response is excellent, which in all honesty, is the second best benefit to a bolt on behind a beefier/performance sound. I believe ive knocked a tenth off my 1/4 time because of BOTH throttle response and the slight power increase/better power curve.
And because of the HUGE variety of different brands of bolt ons, someone can basically pick a can based on sound and aesthetics while getting a bit of hp one might not have thought theyd get, and this might be cool for them because they dont really ever plan on any major/internal engine mods from which there would be more benefit from a full system. We dont all want the same things! Some (like myself) would rather spend $400-500 on bolt-ons for sound purposes with a decent 6 hp benefit than $1000-1500+ for a full system for an 8-10 hp gain but not the desireable tone they want or, like myself, think a single can and the left side passenger peg arm just left there looking "empty" looks horrible.
But getting back to the original point, your way of saying "nothing for hp" just seemed extremely close minded and definitive, but in reality, was not true.

What do you all think the best Exhaust is for a HP gain.
I have an 03 Buse black and silver, full Yosh tri oval exahust, Yoush race air filter, and I have my fI redone with a yosh boxs.

You kids are soo Cute when you get fiesty... For the record, my Akropovic Bolt on's gave me 8HP and 3 FTlbs just by bolting them on...

NOT!!!! Someone needs to back the hell away from the crack pipe... 6 HP was not a BOLT ON Increase. Dyno Variance Maybe? Maybe temperature, Engine wearing in etc. Any of these variable could add 2-4 HP to a dyno run on any given day... But Bolt ons do not give 6HP... Even if they did, you would never feel the difference...

HOWEVER!!!!

Folks that say a pair of Bolt-ons costs about the same as a full system are also high!

BECAUSE.... You cannot just buy a full system, bolt them on and be done with it... No no, you have to buy the system, buy the PC (IF your doing it right) buy Pair Block off plates, then spend at least an hour (If your a pro) spinning wrenches, and finally you had best have it tuned on a dyno and have a custom map made for you or your not going to be running right.

So a worthwhile pair of bolt ons- $600-800 Time to install and be on the road.. 15 Minutes....
A quality full system $1000-1500 + PCIII $300 + pair block off's $20-40 + at least I'll say 2 hours to install full system + Dyno time and tunning $200-300.

So Bolt ons 2-4 HP maybe loose 8-10 LBS, Cost Whatever the pipes cost, say $800

A full system, 8-12 HP loose about 16-20 LBS, Cost all told.... Using middle range prices.. $1600

So, the idea that Bolt ons and a full system cost the same is pretty much bullshit unless your going with the cheap of the cheap, in which case your prolly not going to get anything but noise.

Also the Idea of getting real power out of Busa with just Bolt ons is equally complete BS... It's called a midpipe look into it... That is where the real restriction on a Busa is, with it in place you just making noise...

So... Your both fugged in the head... STFU...

laugh.gif

I looked at the full systems and their own provided dyno charts and I really do not see a value per dollar, it's just not there. Even looking at the company provided dyno sheets, you do not see a gain worth the money...

I'd say, loose the PAIR (Weight) = Free
Spend on some light wheels = 1600-2K
Go on a friggen diet and loose 40 lbs... = Free....
Re Gear= 20-30

Call it good....

Or hell a decent nitrous system for $1500

Rev good points. Another thing to consider is it takes approx a minimum of 10HP Difference for the average Joes(which this site is full of) to feel a difference. Less than 10hp difference and only the best can feel, like Rossi or someone of the likes. So quit arguing over dyno numbers because it has been proven time and time again that the Dyno operator is the inconsistent part of dyno tuning a bike. A dyno only tells you your gains from one mod to the next not true HP.

I am sure I am going to get slammed for this post.

I will tell you what I do regret.....spending even 1 dollar on slip-on's. Bought yoshie slip-ons at a great price, $400 still in box....SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy BDE Gen3 full system or equivalent.

thrasher is on it.  i started it up right after i took off the cans, and it was toned down just a little bit from there.  and it is perfect, and nice low rumble, and then just all out when you wack it.  it is silly what a little elbow grease and 15 bucks can do.  i will have some sound clips soon. after the rain here stops.
Still waiting for sound clips. Patiently of course.
smile.gif

well rev is the king of the court around these parts so what he says is prolly correct. I have yet to get my new pipe but did the pop and drill mod rather than 382 mod, with no regrets at all, we all have our preferences. depending on what color your bike is will define what pipe is best. the black and purple need no pipe cuz they are the fastest color out there and already ready to race. No mods needed..
tounge.gif

Revlis,
Ive read your posts here quite a bit, and i respect what you  speak of and your angle...but with that same respect, you werent there...i was....and i'll repeat it if you like...156.1 hp/99 lb ft STOCK then, no more than a couple hours later, 162.1 hp/102 lb ft.  No temp variations, saaaame temp within a degree or 2! (a cold front from hell did NOT move in over the area in that short a time to help hp!) and the dyno "error" you speak of can happen, but it seems too convenient that 156ish rwhp stock is right about where every published figure seems to be.  Even the tuner was quite impressed.  He said the hayabusa yields excellent performance upgrade results, even the bolt ons helped beyond expectations.  The same tuner whos worked on and raced drag bikes since back in the days of the kawasaki turbo bikes and is personal friends with Rob Muzzy (yeah, THAT Rob Muzzy) of kawasaki (and that damned ZX12!) with whom he worked and raced with.  A very reliable source, I think.  
BTW, anyone in the New England area who might interested in getting some good quality work done to their bike by this guy, his name is Roger from RJ's Motorsport in Nashua, NH. A funny but candid guy who is fair and reliable.  Look him up on the power commander tuning site locator!
But enough about that. My first post was merely a rebuttal to the end all, be all nature of someone saying "nothing for hp".  That was about as far as I wanted that to go.  Im just more inclined to believe a dyno that shows results right in front of me, an experience racer/tuner, and seat of the pants testing than some dude on the internet I dont know who makes general (and incorrect) statements.

the black and purple need no pipe cuz they are the fastest color out there and already ready to race. No mods needed..
tounge.gif
You are right about the black and purple. I just wanted a little sound. I have grown to like the sound with just the punched holes. I would like to hear the strait pipe sound though. I guess I could just remove my mufflers like thrasher said.
cool.gif

Hey Darker, You don't have to be nice, nobody has to play nice with me. If you think I am a full of poop blowhard go ahead and say it... I won't elete nothin, I'll just photoshop your Posted Mug and sell it online...
smile.gif

But here's a thought. I'm a mechanic, I just got some bolts ons screwed on for a customer. A customer who is expecting some sort of results from bolts ons, this would be apparant because of his desire for an initial dyno run... So what am I to do? Run it before and after show the customer a 2HP gain? Or do I become the hero and make this guy feel all warm and fuzzy by maybe fudging the results a little bit? I dunno, if I want the customer to refer me to his buddies and walk away 10' taller, I fudge the results and become a hero to this guy....

Your absolutely right in mentioning my angle, it's readily apparantly to most that I am not a Mechanic, not a Tuner, Not a "Font of Wisdom" neccessarily. But I did grow up with a skeptical eye and a firm belief that if something is too good to be true? Then it is... That is my angle... Simple.

Belive me man, I REALLY want to believe that my Busa Makes 12 extra horses because I use Silkolene and am running with some Akro Bolt on's, but common sense tells me no... The Hugely restrictive Busa Mid-Pipe tells me no, I am "wishing" that this were the case.... But man, I would love to be wrong....

I will tell you what I do regret.....spending even 1 dollar on slip-on's. Bought yoshie slip-ons at a great price, $400 still in box....SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy BDE Gen3 full system or equivalent.
BAH, Moondog... Did you end up with Zyclones by chance?
rock.gif

If you were after just sound then Bolt-on's are the ticket, besides, buy some quality Bolt-ons for $800, run them for a year or so and take care of them. Then if you decide you want a full system sell them on E-bay for about 3/4's what you paid and buy a full system...

If you were expecting any real power outta bolt on's then hell yeah, I'd be pretty bummed as well...

I thought long and hard about Bolt on's VS A full system and I decided that for me the 2-3 HP gain and deep rumbly sound were just the ticket. 15 minutes later, and I am still a happy camper... But that's me... Sell em' on ebay Moon and I would think you should be able to get most of your pennies back....

Oh and I am not the king of bobo around here JFK... I just run off at the mouth and try to maybe shake things up a little... Mostly I am just full of poop... Ask

RubberSideDown....

Besides Ninja Eater is King.... Or maybe the Queen.... He he he....

Hey Rev, the "some dude on the internet thing" was not a crack at YOU, so lay off the caffiene man! And Im the last guy to get duped into thinking the impossible and believing stuff when a guy blows smoke up my ass. This guy working on the bike aint that guy! And i was there from beginning to end, and saw no "fudging" of #s. Unless of course your theory includes the very far fetched possiblity that the power commander dyno tuner is "programmed" to give higher #s than the stock run because it "knows" that the power commander is now plugged in! If this is what you believe, i got a nice bridge to sell ya!
And while its true that the mid pipe is definitely a bottle neck, a bolt on that incorporates a straight through design with glass packing certainly will allow a decent gain vs the stock can with baffling. 5-6hp is not unreasonable when you consider its about 3%-ish. 3% is not gonna set any land speed records, but its not "nothing" and as i said before, the pipe allows for a nice useable change in the power and fuel curve
But in any case, let flaming burn out here, im done with this post, as it has merely become a pissing contest and my bladder needs a refill!

Rev, at least they were race baffle, not zyclone. When I bought them off e-bay I was operating under the mis-apprehension no more power would ever be wanted or needed. Wrong again....neeed moorree powerrrr.....They are in perfect shape, nary a ding, so I hope to get some of the money back. They sound great but I'm going gen3. Gotta save the weight since I can't seem to do anything but get fatter....
tounge.gif

Hey Rev, the "some dude on the internet thing" was not a crack at YOU, so lay off the caffiene man!  And Im the last guy to get duped into thinking the impossible and believing stuff when a guy blows smoke up my ass.  This guy working on the bike aint that guy!  And i was there from beginning to end, and saw no "fudging" of #s.  Unless of course your theory includes the very far fetched possiblity that the power commander dyno tuner is "programmed" to give higher #s than the stock run because it "knows" that the power commander is now plugged in!  If this is what you believe, i got a nice bridge to sell ya!
And while its true that the mid pipe is definitely a bottle neck, a bolt on that incorporates a straight through design with glass packing certainly will allow a decent gain vs the stock can with baffling. 5-6hp is not unreasonable when you consider its about 3%-ish.  3% is not gonna set any land speed records, but its not "nothing" and as i said before, the pipe allows for a nice useable change in the power and fuel curve
But in any case, let flaming burn out here, im done with this post, as it has merely become a pissing contest and my bladder needs a refill!
Cool, Man... But I wasn't trying to be a wise ass, I was being serious... It seemed like you wanted to just tee off and tell me to go get fugged... Hell that would be refreshing sometimes...

La off the caffiene... How the hell did you know about the Tripple mocha sitting next to my keyboard this morning?

As for the pipes? Cool... But I don't remember you mentioning a power commander in our initial post regarding your performance gain... This could help explain 6 HP... A few from the cans and a few from the pipes is easy to believe....

Wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing contest, just fuggin around mostly... Learning maybe...

Hey Rev, the "some dude on the internet thing" was not a crack at YOU, so lay off the caffiene man!  And Im the last guy to get duped into thinking the impossible and believing stuff when a guy blows smoke up my ass.  This guy working on the bike aint that guy!  And i was there from beginning to end, and saw no "fudging" of #s.  Unless of course your theory includes the very far fetched possiblity that the power commander dyno tuner is "programmed" to give higher #s than the stock run because it "knows" that the power commander is now plugged in!  If this is what you believe, i got a nice bridge to sell ya!
And while its true that the mid pipe is definitely a bottle neck, a bolt on that incorporates a straight through design with glass packing certainly will allow a decent gain vs the stock can with baffling. 5-6hp is not unreasonable when you consider its about 3%-ish.  3% is not gonna set any land speed records, but its not "nothing" and as i said before, the pipe allows for a nice useable change in the power and fuel curve
Cool, Man...  But I wasn't trying to be a wise ass, I was being serious...  It seemed like you wanted to just tee off and tell me to go get fugged...  Hell that would be refreshing sometimes...  

La off the caffiene...  How the hell did you know about the Tripple mocha sitting next to my keyboard this morning?

As for the pipes?  Cool...  But I don't remember you mentioning a power commander in our initial post regarding your performance gain... This could help explain 6 HP...  A few from the cans and a few from the pipes is easy to believe....  

Wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing contest, just fuggin around mostly...  Learning maybe...
Yeah rev well go get f...... GO GET FFF......

Crap!!! ever since RSD rebuked me I cant swear anymore!!!!

AHHHHHHHHH

No harm done Rev....my fault on not mentioning the powercommander...just assumed everyone picked up on that from my signature with the list of mods under my posts...which brings up an FYI for those considering D and D's (not sure about what others have experienced with other brands): the commander is a MUST along with the pair mod! Ran MEGA lean with a crappy fuel and power curve without it and the popping from the pair got downright embarrassing....something else to figure in when totalling the co$t$ of a new exhaust! Also, despite the D and D specific map from PC, the custom map was really that much better and worth the $. I thought it was a bargain at $150 for the install and dyno tune combined...
...ok, so this is my last post here, honest!

Back