Does anyone regret modifying their stock exhaust?

Relsek

Registered
I read some earlier posts about removing the end and drilling the stock exhaust for a little more sound. Does anyone that has done it, regret it?

Hey just go out and buy a set of bolt ons if you want more sound ,Its clean and easy.Buy a full system if ya want performance.

I cant imagine wy anyone would do bolts ons. They cost almost as much as a full system and do nothig for hp. I drilled mine and it brings on a nice rumble and cost nothing. Ill buy a full system when i find one i want , untill then , this will do. sj

I drilled mine and polished the cans. Sounds and looks great for FREE. Looking for a full system also. But I got to many bikes to afford it now. Someday:;):

Kevin -

I did Bike382's exhaust mod, you can find it here on the board. it gives you step by step instructions on how to remove the baffles totally out and replace them with a 2 1/2 inch straight pipe..

It took me about 3 hours and about $30.00 they sound awesome, you can totally tell the difference from stock, I haven't had to put a power commander on the bike, haven't had to do any tweaking.

Bike382 mentions that he did see an HP gain AND as I said, they sound great.

Here is the link to bike382's mod

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089601619 -->

I think all Busa Riders first investment needs to be a complete exhaust and PC3!!! let the multitude of other mods come in time.......

Patience is key, horsepower a necessity

..went through every step of the process.. took me 15 minutes reading just to comprehend!..

..in my h.o. this mod is WAY too complicated for the result achieved/expected..

However, thanks for sharing it with us - if time is all someone has, then go for it - otherwise get a full system (that's what I will do)..

This is the mod that you will want to do, its idiot proof, and doesn't take long at all. Go here

biggrin.gif

Jeeez people, you sound like you need a degree in engineering to do 382's mod..

It is the easiest thing I have ever done, if you cant do 382's mod then you probably would just be better off buying everything, paying someone to do it for you and not trying to make enginerring changes yourself.

Its not that hard people lol

My husband drilled two big holes inside the exhaust (on the engine end of the bolt-on's, he was able to drill using an extension piece and circular drill attachment)...it probably took him 15 minutes, and then it was done...

Sounds damn good too...wish I'd taken pics, but I was busy doing something else when he modded them for me...

It was free, free and easy!!!

Anybody in S/W GA. or north Fla. want to trade for stock cans I have a set I drill and polished I"ll trade you. I do not like at all. Sounds like a leak not like performance.

gsteve, exactly WHAT brand bolt on pipes are you lookin at that cost almost as much as a full system? For the record: 6 hp and 3 lb ft is hardly "nothing"! This is the difference MY bolt ons made and cost a little more than $400 with a bit of internet shopping! Ive seen some full system claims on this board that yielded less gains than my set up! Plus, D an D's have a viscious sound if thats what your after.

Know your numbers and facts before spouting info on stuff you dont know about!

I just did the full pip mod with the straight pipes, and it is wicked. i didnt do it exactly by the book, but it is awsome. it sounds better than a lot of busa's i have heard around here. this will keep me totally happy till i can afford my new pipe. i would highly recomend this to anyone that needs to wait for the $$$ for a new exhaust. it was easy and only took around 3 hours. and i got spare pipes off ebay for 9.95 so i still have my originals. 1..2..3..DO IT!!!

Well, tuesday night I did the drilling thing, did not like it at all, although the largest bit I had was a 3/8. It just sounded like an exhaust leak. It made my 1300 sound like a 600. The next night I got the right bit and drilled them to 9/16 or 5/8, I don't remember. It no longer sounds like an exhaust leak, although not what I really want. I would like to hear the sound of the 382 mod.
The sound I'm looking for is more of a low rumble. I heard an old kz1000 with the sound I want, I think it was just running strait pipes.

wink.gif

Kevin -

Take off your cans and start the bike... That is almost what it sounds like. the 382 mod basically is just a 2 1/2 foot or so extension running from where the cans bolt on... It is not as loud as running with no cans.. but you can get close to an idea of what it is going to sound like

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090126380 -->

thrasher is on it. i started it up right after i took off the cans, and it was toned down just a little bit from there. and it is perfect, and nice low rumble, and then just all out when you wack it. it is silly what a little elbow grease and 15 bucks can do. i will have some sound clips soon. after the rain here stops.

Darker.. congrats on your d+ds... they must be the "special" ones. Even a full non step , hindle only makes 8 hp , most full race exhaust is happy to make 10-12ish. The d+ds are well know... as the biggest noise makers out there.

well, Gstevie, thanks for the congrats, as sarcastic and caustic as it was. Although if im the one with an original dyno readout of 156.1 hp and 99 lb ft and a post-dyno tuning readout of 162.1 hp and 102 lb ft of torque, who is right here and who is wrong and just spouting off info about stuff they dont know? Im no mathematician, but that IS 6hp and 3 lb ft, right? Not to mention ultra crisp throttle response. And no, im not one of those guys whos got the "miracle exhaust" that does the unbelievable. Im not that type, nor do i tolerate those types, thanks.
Im just saying, let the hard numbers ive actually got IN HAND and paid for be of guidance to someone whos looking for some advice. At least its a bit more factual than your "theory of bolt on exhaust". Do you have ANY experience with ANY bolt ons as far as numbers, sound, and most importantly, driveability? And I mean on YOUR hayabusa, not what "some guy who knows my best friend's cousin said about a $150 bolt on for his 1995 zx-6". They call that "hearsay".

Back