Do you always use both brakes?

Do you always use both brakes when stopping?

• YES

Votes: 209 50.6%
  • NO

Votes: 204 49.4%

• Total voters
"touched the rear brake ever so slightly. Bad idea! That beast stepped out,"

if the bike was in a straight vertical path, and you locked the rear wheel up it would stay in that same straight path, unless your starting squirming the bike around.

we've all done this as a kid on our bicycles.........locked the rear, fishtailed the rear around......no diff. really on a big bike

prob. was, was releasing the rear allowing it to catch and causing your highside. vs riding the rear brake into the ground into a lowside.

You may very well be correct but here is a really easy way to figure out if your theory is manageable. Kick her up to triple digits, stand on the front brake as hard as you can and try that rear brake out. It will lock the tire with little to no effort. See how long you can keep it behind you! :beerchug:

Oh,,,,,,,,,, be sure to get one of your buddies to video tape the event so we can all see the results!

why use the brakes that have 90% of the stopping power? that would make no sense at all... sheesh guys... I ride the worlds fastest production motorcycle, why on gods green earth would I want to use the brakes that work? (I just tickle the fronts once in a while to see if they still work..)

use the front brakes... :rofl: stopping is for sissy's (Like SteveO) :whistle:

I think we are talking about two different perspectives here. Normal, day-to-day street riding, vs. Aggressive street/track riding. Perfect dry weather on perfect asphalt vs. imperfect conditions. The original poster is a new rider, and I suspect her initial questioning centers around day-to-day street riding, where we are not testing the limits of braking power on track conditions.

For normal commute riding, I do use both. For the track and aggressive street riding, I stay off the back - Tuf is right, on my first trackday I went for the back brake too hard and the rear end got loosy goosy and scared the crap out of me - I learned and haven't touched it since. I could see how, in an emergency situation on the street, I might make a mistake and use rear brake - gotta think about that. A good thread nonetheless.

You are correct. I am very new at riding and am no where ready to head to the track (maybe one day). I enjoy reading the responses for both situations, but for my current situation I am learning day to day street riding (parking lot) :laugh: .

When street riding I use both brakes to come to a stop. I have also been in the triple digits and been hard on both breaks and locked the rear with no ill affects. Just straightin the bike up and your good. I watched the CHP do a demo. On their bikes. With rear brakes only they could not stop from 45 in time to avoid a accident. On just the front breaks the cut the stoping distance by 75% and with both the cut of another 10 feet. So u tell me what's right. CHP motor officers are some of the best trained riders in the world and they use both breaks. Hope that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

When street riding I use both brakes to come to a stop. I have also been in the triple digits and been hard on both brakes and locked the rear with no ill affects. Just straightin the bike up and your good. I watched the CHP do a demo. On their bikes. With rear brakes only they could not stop from 45 in time to avoid a accident. On just the front brakes the cut the stoping distance by 75% and with both the cut of another 10 feet. So u tell me what's right. CHP motor officers are some of the best trained riders in the world and they use both brakes. Hope that helps
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it's funny that some on here say they, evidently, ride on the Street the same way they ride on a Track :laugh: . If that's so, you guys are really SLOW on the Track. Infact that's like an F1 driver saying he drives and brakes the same way going to work, that he does in a RACE. Can you say :welcome: to the Pokie or Hospital, whichever comes first :rofl:

"touched the rear brake ever so slightly. Bad idea! That beast stepped out,"

if the bike was in a straight vertical path, and you locked the rear wheel up it would stay in that same straight path, unless your starting squirming the bike around.

Many forces at work here. Most roads are constructed for drainage and in a locked situation the rear will go to the lowest point which is typically toward the ditch in a straight.

why use the brakes that have 90% of the stopping power? that would make no sense at all... sheesh guys... I ride the worlds fastest production motorcycle, why on gods green earth would I want to use the brakes that work? (I just tickle the fronts once in a while to see if they still work..)

use the front brakes... :rofl: stopping is for sissy's (Like SteveO) :whistle:

Do I need to PM you again :laugh:

When street riding I use both brakes to come to a stop. I have also been in the triple digits and been hard on both breaks and locked the rear with no ill affects. Just straightin the bike up and your good. I watched the CHP do a demo. On their bikes. With rear brakes only they could not stop from 45 in time to avoid a accident. On just the front breaks the cut the stoping distance by 75% and with both the cut of another 10 feet. So u tell me what's right. CHP motor officers are some of the best trained riders in the world and they use both breaks. Hope that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

I would think the only reason you didn't wake up in the ER is you wasn't on teh front brakes as hard as you thought you were.

Keep in mind, the CHP is not on sport bikes. This discussion is referring to a sport bike. Braking on a sport bike takes different technique from the cruiser family.

To stop both, emergency stopping both, Just to reduce speed moderately front, braking in a corner for unforeseen reasons (as you should adjust your speed before the corner)front. stepping on the rear in a corner can cause you to slide out or cause the motorcycle to stand up if you brake heavy on the rear. Most people that are accomplished riders depend allot on the front, Most new riders are scared of the front and use mostly rear which reduces you braking ability badly. Hope this helps.

I usally always down shift while braking using the motor to slow down,weather thats good or bad,IDK but it works for me, I start out with the front brake,covering the rear break and if nesacerry will apply rear break if I feel i need more stopping power.I honestly try not to think about it too much and just let it happen naturally out of habit,if I think about it,...well,lets just say I try not to:whistle:

I wanted to ask everyone to answer honestly, not the MSF manual's standard answer. :)

When you are out riding, do you ALWAYS use both of your brakes? If you do or do not, what is your best explanations?

I am asking because I have been told A LOT of different answers to this question and the hubby is not around to give his opinion one way or another (I am sure at some point he will read the thread and I will get his opinion). :) :)

Thanks.

Are you happy :laugh:

I try not to stop just go faster but usually use both on the street and drag track when i do stop is using the engine and tranny to do most of your slowing down bad :whistle:

Are you happy :laugh:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I actually just threw my leg back over the SV and took her out for the very first time since my crash in August!! I was scared at first, but soon was feeling that same great "happy" feeling. :laugh:

I love the new rear sets hubby put on her! The shifting is so much smoother & the rear brake feels like it is working better. It's almost like they were made for my feet.

The best part is that he was able to lower her just a tad bit more and I feel a whole lot more stable. :cheerleader:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I actually just threw my leg back over the SV and took her out for the very first time since my crash in August!! I was scared at first, but soon was feeling that same great "happy" feeling. :laugh:

I love the new rear sets hubby put on her! The shifting is so much smoother & the rear brake feels like it is working better. It's almost like they were made for my feet.

The best part is that he was able to lower her just a tad bit more and I feel a whole lot more stable. :cheerleader:
very good... how you "feel" on the bike is really important if for no other reason than the "confidence" it can inspire.. Take your time.. spend some other time in a parking lot..

Take something to mark the lot.. cardboard box, safety cones something so you can focus on a point.. Just zipping around the parking lot fails to get get you accustomed to closing speeds etc..

Glad you are smiling again... :thumbsup:

Back