do u downshift at stops?

hemi

Registered
find myself doing it all the time just for your typical stop sign and what not, not sure why i do it. Curious if u guys downshift all the time, other than riding the canyons/twisties when u obviously need to downshift coming into turns

I go as far as 2nd gear while I am slowing down then drop it into 1st if I come to a complete stop

I thought the original poster meant reducing speed and letting the tranny help a little:whistle: :laugh:

always downshift to a stop. i watch my 6 at the ready in case the car behind me is too busy to stop.

I thought the original poster meant reducing speed and letting the tranny help a little:whistle: :laugh:

thanks for clearing that up, exactly what i meant. Guess i should have worded it better. U guys on this board are clueless sometimes, unless you're all just bein smart arses-blanca:laugh:

in other words, do u downshift to let the engine/tranny help to slow u down, or do u just pull the clutch and use 100% brakes

in other words, do u downshift to let the engine/tranny help to slow u down, or do u just pull the clutch and use 100% brakes

I see people doing this all the time and it is TERRIBLE riding technique. Your bike needs to be in the right gear for engine braking and acceleration at all times, cos you never know when you'll need either!

In addition, I ride because I want to be as close to one with my machine as possible, otherwise I'd simply drive my automatic SUV. Blipping the throttle with each down change to match engine and transmission speed is part of this. No "slipper clutch" I have used comes close.

No doubt there will be no end of members chiming in saying that going down through the gears and using engine braking is pointless. I will resist the urge to respond and just say this: good luck, and may your god be with you!

I see people doing this all the time and it is TERRIBLE riding technique. Your bike needs to be in the right gear for engine braking and acceleration at all times, cos you never know when you'll need either!

On the more extreme side of the conversation, try doing double triple digits and pulling in the clutch. Not that it would down you, but not nearly as comfortable as riding the engine torque down.

Then of course downshifting to the "stop sign" at the end of the runway :laugh:

thanks for clearing that up, exactly what i meant. Guess i should have worded it better. U guys on this board are clueless sometimes, unless you're all just bein smart arses-blanca:laugh:

:moon:

Well why didn't you just say so :poke:
50/50 is my answer

Back