question, what do u guys do when hitting N trying to shift into 2nd

hemi

Registered
do u just kick it hard up into 2nd after you've noticed that you're in neutral, do u release the clutch, pull it again and then kick it into 2nd. Or do u come to a complete stop and then start in first again. Reason i'm asking, i tend to do this frequently when i haven't ridden for a bit and get lazy with the shifts. Majority of the time when i notice i have accidentally slipped it into neutral, i just kick it back up again and it slips right in. Tried once releasing the clutch and pulling again, then kickin into 2nd, and the tranny clunked like hell, sounded like it ripped the tranny right out. I know, stupid question, just curious if any long run damage can be done by frequent misses and slammin/clunkin it back into 2nd while on the move

drive it like you stole it:thumbsup: if you shift lightly she won't shift all the way into gear. i also shift at a higher rpm, grip it and rip and you'll be fine. i had this problem when i first got her too, but then some one gave me this advice and no problems since.

Shift with authority or adjust your shift lever. :) I think I just clutch it and try again for second, but I haven't had that happen enough to remember. I've put 9k on it since I bought it in late May last year.

I'm having an issue the other way. Somehow I find myself downshifting into neutral at inopportune times. No idea why I manage to go from third to neutral and I don't recall ever doing it on any other bike. It usually happens downhill and just before a turn. :(

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk and furious fingers

Hit the limiter and kick it in second gear, and get the heck out of there, because I know I just embarrassed myself in front of all those peeps I was trying to impress :laugh:

Am I the only one that misses 6th gear too. :whistle:

I did this a few times on the '06, never had the issue with the Gen II :thumbsup:

i used to hit random false shifts from 5th to 6th, but hasn't happened in quite a while, just the random neutral 1st-2nd shift. I know, i just need to learn to shift right and put some effort into it

Well reading all these post, it shifts pretty easy into second just riding along, but when you're gettin it is when I would typically forget to kick the old girl into second. Hey , give a guy a break, just went from 0 to 70 in 2.5 seconds, and the primary concern is hanging on unless you have the hump on and have slid back against it. In that case your probably planting the boys on the tank as you completely released the throttle when the bike went to 12 o'clock , but I digress :poke:

Shift with authority or adjust your shift lever. :) I think I just clutch it and try again for second, but I haven't had that happen enough to remember. I've put 9k on it since I bought it in late May last year.

I'm having an issue the other way. Somehow I find myself downshifting into neutral at inopportune times. No idea why I manage to go from third to neutral and I don't recall ever doing it on any other bike. It usually happens downhill and just before a turn. :(

If this is a joke post...feel free to flame spray me for missing the obvious.:poke:

You're down shifting because you release pressure on the transmission by rolling off the throttle while your foot is on the shift lever. With the exception of starting and stopping, you can ride clear across the country without ever touching your clutch. It's just a matter of matching gear speed to road speed....once that happens you "blip" the throttle (a little open then closed) while simultaneously applying pressure to your shift lever. You'll up or down shift instantly without the need of your clutch.

I dont have much for miles yet on this new one, but I think it may be a little less apt to miss a shift or have an `extra neutral` like the first Gen.
I`m gonna have to second the `ride it like ya stole it`, shift with a purpose.
Plenty of other good advice here too.
As far as hurting it? Naaa

If this is a joke post...feel free to flame spray me for missing the obvious.:poke:

You're down shifting because you release pressure on the transmission by rolling off the throttle while your foot is on the shift lever. With the exception of starting and stopping, you can ride clear across the country without ever touching your clutch. It's just a matter of matching gear speed to road speed....once that happens you "blip" the throttle (a little open then closed) while simultaneously applying pressure to your shift lever. You'll up or down shift instantly without the need of your clutch.
Hmmm...have to disagree with you on this one racer. Preloading the lever and upshifting without the clutch I do routinely, and blipping the throttle to match engine and transmission speeds while downshifting I always have done too, but downshifting without the clutch? THAT's where we part company mate.

I'm trying to downshift from third to second and winding up in neutral. Clutched or unclutched is a matter of preference and/or situation in my opinion. The question is where the hell is second when I'm going for it from third, and why am I sometimes finding neutral instead? Too much authority? :D

I've had it happen a few times at the track, it is aggrivating as hell. i just pull the clutch in and grab second and go on. At the drag strip its a wash when that happens, no need in running the guts out after it happens, so just run on down the track and get off.

My 197.3 mph fastest pass for me at the texas mile you see in my signature...hung neutral, :tantrum:, what i could have done had that not happened... :banghead:

I have little feet, size 8 mens. (you know what they say about men with little feet....small socks) anyways this is probably not the case but I feel like im shifting with just my bigtoe sometimes lol. Is there a way to adjust the shifter to accomodate small feet? I cant beleive I asked this question.:blush:

i always clutch less up shift including through 1 -> 2nd

never miss into N

only use clutch for pulling away and downshifting.

as everyone on here says 'shift like you mean it'

Back