Do like music or play an instrument

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
I spend a lot of my time listening to music or practicing on my favorite instrument. Not sure how many of you have heard of a “tambora”. It is an instrument used in a lot of Caribbean islands to play merengue and there is different styles of them. They are hand made out goat or cow hide, wood and rope. Only a hand full of people make them back and mine come from a guy back home that played professionally and now mostly handcrafts them. I love percussion and, even though I love the good old USA, I’m very attached to my roots and the music from back home. I own a couple of them and love listening to music and messing around at home practicing. Anyways, I’ll leave a link, so you get an idea and post some pictures of my latest “toy”. I would love to hear about your prefer style of music and instrument you like and pictures are a plus.

https://youtu.be/py5lONtuw2A061F238E-EB66-40C9-B938-C85CC3A0CDE6.jpeg
30D850AA-8010-4CEE-B1FC-396CEA4F6997.jpeg

65DBB522-5E70-4CB0-B08F-B3E005DF3E6B.jpeg

F07825E5-E295-4C4C-90EE-10D678FDDF5F.jpeg

I spend a lot of my time listening to music or practicing on my favorite instrument. Not sure how many of you have heard of a “tambora”. It is an instrument used in a lot of Caribbean islands to play merengue and there is different styles of them. They are hand made out goat or cow hide, wood and rope. Only a hand full of people make them back and mine come from a guy back home that played professionally and now mostly handcrafts them. I love percussion and, even though I love the good old USA, I’m very attached to my roots and the music from back home. I own a couple of them and love listening to music and messing around at home practicing. Anyways, I’ll leave a link, so you get an idea and post some pictures of my latest “toy”. I would love to hear about your prefer style of music and instrument you like and pictures are a plus.

https://youtu.be/py5lONtuw2AView attachment 1585131
View attachment 1585132

View attachment 1585133

View attachment 1585134

Where's back home?

I play drums and bass guitar and sing.

Been involved heavily in my church's worship bands, entering contests as well and made it to nationals for bass guitar playing.

Drumming I enjoy the blues, metal, funk. Unfortunately had to get rid of my sets after about 13 yrs of playing. But I'll get em back soon.
Had a full 7pc pearl masters set until recently. Demon direct drive and axis double bass pedals. 7 cymbals. Miss that guy that had a good time!

Singing not very accomplished but it's fun to lead a song every so often :)

I played bass for awhile but only as a hobby. I have built several studios, one for a guy in his house and 2 that were professional studios. A song which Michael Jackson bought was mastered in one of the studios, unfortunately he died before the song could be re-mixed and recorded. I love the acoustics and electronics side of music, although I don't spend as much on audio gear as I used to! I remember I signed my entire first check as an architect over to an audio store for some speakers. Had to eat Captain Crunch for the rest of the month!

PS: I listen to anything but mostly 60-70's R&B, Soul, 60-90's Rock, Jazz, & some Country. Yes, I'm old.

Last edited:
Can
I play drums and bass guitar and sing.

Been involved heavily in my church's worship bands, entering contests as well and made it to nationals for bass guitar playing.

Drumming I enjoy the blues, metal, funk. Unfortunately had to get rid of my sets after about 13 yrs of playing. But I'll get em back soon.
Had a full 7pc pearl masters set until recently. Demon direct drive and axis double bass pedals. 7 cymbals. Miss that guy that had a good time!

Singing not very accomplished but it's fun to lead a song every so often :)
we have your autograph before you make it big? Lol! Sorry to hear you had to sell your set. Hopefully you can get another one soon.
Have you heard of Lauren daigle? I like her music. I call her the Christian Adel.

I love music too, I play guitar and electric bass and sing a bit too, I play with some old friends I've known for 40 years, one is a drummer and the other plays keys and guitar, he's very very good and was a professional musician for most of his working life.
In fact, we are having a BBQ and a jam at my place on Saturday so if anyone can be bothered travelling thousands of miles, come along and enjoy yourself and I may even let ya take my Busa for a blast since ya came so far :D:thumbsup::super:

I played bass for awhile but only as a hobby. I have built several studios, one for a guy in his house and 2 that were professional studios. A song which Michael Jackson bought was mastered in one of the studios, unfortunately he died before the song could be re-mixed and recorded. I love the acoustics and electronics side of music, although I don't spend as much on audio gear as I used to! I remember I signed my entire first check as an architect over to an audio store for some speakers. Had to eat Captain Crunch for the rest of the month!

PS: I listen to anything but mostly 60-70's R&B, Soul, 60-90's Rock, Jazz, & some Country. Yes, I'm old.
Willie,

I also do it as a hobby only. I might share a short clip with my family and friends, but that’s about it. I’m also waaaay behind on all the latest gadgets and new technology out there. I don’t even have a nice system at home. I simply use headphones. Now, on my vehicles, I like to upgrade the factory systems a bit, but nothing like you see out there to where people pay thousands for a couple of hertz door speaker.

Last edited:
I'm surrounded by musicians - my stepson is a drummer, my step daughters play several instruments in band (piccolo and flute), my youngest played the clarinet, trumpet and bari sax, and my oldest plays the alto sax and is a self-taught guitarist. My husband @omslaw is a drummer, and can play just about anything you put in front of him, though he critiques himself and says he can't play at all. Not so; he can. My Dad played trumpet & keyboard, and my grandfather was a seasoned guitarist with a great collection of guitars that were left to family that pawned them because they didn't know what they had, nor did they care.

Me, I play one mean stereo, and have blown speakers for decades :super: Music is something I can't live without, that's where most of my disposable income goes - concerts and memories, vinyl and anything related to the music I love. Even the tattoos I have, mostly related to music. I can't play a single note, but I appreciate the art more than I can express.

I love music too, I play guitar and electric bass and sing a bit too, I play with some old friends I've known for 40 years, one is a drummer and the other plays keys and guitar, he's very very good and was a professional musician for most of his working life.
In fact, we are having a BBQ and a jam at my place on Saturday so if anyone can be bothered travelling thousands of miles, come along and enjoy yourself and I may even let ya take my Busa for a blast since ya came so far :D:thumbsup::super:
That’s great kiwi! My friend is really good playing “the güiro” and we met a few times to make some noise, but he decided to move back to NY last year:confused:. Wish I was closer to jointly guys! That would be bloody awesome mate (just practicing the Aussie lingo that was shared recently here) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!

Can we have your autograph before you make it big? Lol! Sorry to hear you had to sell your set. Hopefully you can get another one soon.
Have you heard of Lauren daigle? I like her music. I call her the Christian Adel.

I'm flattered lol
Yeah she is really a wonderful singer, catchy songs too. I'd say hillsong has my favorite singers and just great music in general. Really moving.
Thanks tho bud, I hope to have a set restored to me soon too :)

I'm surrounded by musicians - my stepson is a drummer, my step daughters play several instruments in band (piccolo and flute), my youngest played the clarinet, trumpet and bari sax, and my oldest plays the alto sax and is a self-taught guitarist. My husband @omslaw is a drummer, and can play just about anything you put in front of him, though he critiques himself and says he can't play at all. Not so; he can. My Dad played trumpet & keyboard, and my grandfather was a seasoned guitarist with a great collection of guitars that were left to family that pawned them because they didn't know what they had, nor did they care.

Me, I play one mean stereo, and have blown speakers for decades :super: Music is something I can't live without, that's where most of my disposable income goes - concerts and memories, vinyl and anything related to the music I love. Even the tattoos I have, mostly related to music. I can't play a single note, but I appreciate the art more than I can express.
That’s great @VaBusa ! Sounds like you guys could setup a full band and never leave the house to source musicians! Lol! I love the alto sax too, mainly because it’s one of the instruments used to play a type of merengue traditional at home, which is played with an accordion, saxo, tambora and a güiro. As a kid, I used to pull all of the pans out of the cabinets and start banging on them, but mom ended up putting in piano lessons, because that’s what grandma wanted me to learn. I fought and fought against it, because I liked percussion not piano and mom eventually gave up on me and suspended the clases. It was not a smart move for me to drop out of it, but It wasn’t a smart move for them to want to force me to learn an instrument I didn’t like either. These days, I just watch videos and try to learn from the pros. I keep saying I’m going to signup for Saxo classes, but have not gotten around to doing it.

We play rock band alot too.
That game is killer haha

My buddy spent about 400 on songs alone. I bring my drum set and set up 2 bass pedals with a splitter, and I got the cymbal pack too lol
We have two guitars, one set up for bass and one regular. And we'll take turns singing Haha crack open a few too many mountain dews and get after it lol
I'll 95%+ every song on expert on that game on guitar or pro drums.

I miss the authentic jam sesh's but that game is filling the gaps for me ♡

I'm flattered lol
Yeah she is really a wonderful singer, catchy songs too. I'd say hillsong has my favorite singers and just great music in general. Really moving.
Thanks tho bud, I hope to have a set restored to me soon too :)
I’ve only heard a few from hillsong, but you are right, they are great.!

We play rock band alot too.
That game is killer haha

My buddy spent about 400 on songs alone. I bring my drum set and set up 2 bass pedals with a splitter, and I got the cymbal pack too lol
We have two guitars, one set up for bass and one regular. And we'll take turns singing Haha crack open a few too many mountain dews and get after it lol
I'll 95%+ every song on expert on that game on guitar or pro drums.

I miss the authentic jam sesh's but that game is filling the gaps for me ♡
That sounds like some fun times!! Lol!

That’s great @VaBusa ! Sounds like you guys could setup a full band and never leave the house to source musicians! Lol! I love the alto sax too, mainly because it’s one of the instruments used to play a type of merengue traditional at home, which is played with an accordion, saxo, tambora and a güiro. As a kid, I used to pull all of the pans out of the cabinets and start banging on them, but mom ended up putting in piano lessons, because that’s what grandma wanted me to learn. I fought and fought against it, because I liked percussion not piano and mom eventually gave up on me and suspended the clases. It was not a smart move for me to drop out of it, but It wasn’t a smart move for them to want to force me to learn an instrument I didn’t like either. These days, I just watch videos and try to learn from the pros. I keep saying I’m going to signup for Saxo classes, but have not gotten around to doing it.

I've said that before - we have enough for a band! It's been amazing to watch the kids especially. My oldest headed off to college a few weeks ago, and he was going to take his sax and guitar, but space in the dorm limited him to just one, so he chose the electric guitar we got him last Christmas. He taught himself to play Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), hadn't told me, just started playing it for me a year or so ago and I broke down. It's my fav PF song, means a lot, and there was my kid, playing it on an old acoustic guitar.

My youngest knew I also love all of The Wall (Pink Floyd as well; yes, there's a theme here), so he saw what his older brother did, and he taught himself Outside the Wall on trumpet. It was incredible to listen to him play that piece of music, just because he wanted to.

It's funny to me, how much I absolutely love music, can't read a note and never picked up the desire to play myself. I tell everyone I'm the constant supporter of music and could talk about it endlessly. I was always the Mom that fostered bringing out the pots and pans, and never fought buying that drum kit for the little ones. I'd always hoped they'd play something, probably because I didn't.

I'm all for kids today doing it only if they want to and are passionate about it; as you know, instruments, classes, repairs and everything that goes with it is not cheap, and if they're just doing it because you tell them to, well, it may not be for them.

Back