Do I need a power commander for slipons?

motopokep

Registered
After much reading and listening to sound files, I finally decided to go with Yoshi R77 carbon fiber. MorePoweracing.com sells them cheaper than everyone else, about $879 I think, free shipping. Can't wait to put these babies on.

My next question is (and I've read conflicting info), do I need to install a power commander? Some say no, some say yes. Is it really going to make a 6-8 hp difference, or if I'm going to gain 1-2 hp's, it's not worth the money. I've also read that having the PC correctly distributes fuel, as otherwise, you could damage the engine even with a bolt-on without remapping.

So if I go with a PC, I'm a DIY person, what part of the bike do you install it and where to do you run the wires? (I'll read the instructions but just wanted a heads up, cuz I'm tight on space under the seat and in the cowl). Also, after I download a map to my computer, how do you transfer it to the power commander? through a USB wire?

or is it better to go to a Dyno shop and do a custom map? I'm just an everyday/weekend warrior rider, I'm not trying to create a superbike, so full system was out of the question. thanx for the replies.

also...i've heard of carbon fiber browning, or turning whitish, discoloring due to heat...is there a way to care for carbon fiber to avoid this, or to prolong its life?

Don't be surprised if you get "conflicting" views/opinions in this thread AGAIN (like you found during your research)

No PC needed if s/o only.......slip ons = "better" sound and weight savings......do not get your hopes up with power gains.
Adding a PC is plug-and-play, buy one with a preloaded map for your bike (exhaust and airfilter combo). It will come with very easy to follow,detailed instructions.

Best bang for buck: full exhaust, airfilter and ECU Editor to tune your bike (by an experienced tuner).

P.S. BEFORE I buy any pipes, I go out of my way to listen to ACTUAL bikes in person....been doing this by hanging out in the service bay of bike shops or going to a bike night. This way, I am NOT totally relying on a youtube video. Best of luck.

After much reading and listening to sound files, I finally decided to go with Yoshi R77 carbon fiber. MorePoweracing.com sells them cheaper than everyone else, about $879 I think, free shipping. Can't wait to put these babies on.
Sound files don't sound like the real thing, go listen to some in person..

My next question is (and I've read conflicting info), do I need to install a power commander? Some say no, some say yes. Is it really going to make a 6-8 hp difference, or if I'm going to gain 1-2 hp's, it's not worth the money. I've also read that having the PC correctly distributes fuel, as otherwise, you could damage the engine even with a bolt-on without remapping.
Need? No. The bike will run fine without any mapping. Slip-on's don't make power, just noise. You will not "damage the engine" by running an exhaust without a PC. Do a little more research on what the PC does and how it does it, and you will understand how silly that statement is.
That being said even a totally stock bike will pick up a few hp and better throttle response with a custom map, so a PC can be a good idea.

So if I go with a PC, I'm a DIY person, what part of the bike do you install it and where to do you run the wires? (I'll read the instructions but just wanted a heads up, cuz I'm tight on space under the seat and in the cowl). Also, after I download a map to my computer, how do you transfer it to the power commander? through a USB wire?
The PC software is self-explanatory, and route the wiring however you want. As long as it don't get hot enough to melt, it'll be fine.

or is it better to go to a Dyno shop and do a custom map?
Yes, it's always better to get a custom map. The generic maps are just that.....generic.

I'm just an everyday/weekend warrior rider, I'm not trying to create a superbike, so full system was out of the question. thanx for the replies.
For the amount you're willing to pay for the slip-ons you could get a full exhaust. Look on the classifieds here, you can buy a used one in perfect condition from a member.
As mentioned, a full exhaust and ecu edit is a much better idea. Spend your money wisely.....

also...i've heard of carbon fiber browning, or turning whitish, discoloring due to heat...is there a way to care for carbon fiber to avoid this, or to prolong its life?
Some carbon will discolor, no way I've ever heard of to prevent it.

You can buy the Vance&Hines ss universal header that works with ALL mufflers(even the stock ones).
Then you'de have a full exhaust with the R77 slipons, as well as have the catalytic converter gone.
Squale147 has an Akrapovic full exhaust with dual cf mufflers for sale too, and for $800! That's half price!
I have the same exhaust, and even though I've yet to get it dyno tuned with ecu editor, my bike's throttle response is much smoother and it's noticeably stronger. A tune will perfect it.
You may/may not like the looks of them, but it's worth checking out as Akrapovic makes great quality exhausts.
With the baffles in the tips I can't hear my bike over the wind at above 45mph. With them out it has a nice deep tone, but is still not loud or obnoxious.:beerchug:

I have had the two brothers slip ons on my bike for 5 years now with no issues so far. I do not have a power commander on my bike and it runs fine. It does have a small flat spot right off idle but not enough to concern me. The flat spot got worse as the packing went out of the slip ons but it sounds so good I don't want to repack them. Here is a pic of what they look like:thumbsup:

IMG00243-20110622-1509.jpg

I have the TBR Dual slip ons with a pc v. And the only thing the pc v did for me was to search around for a full exhaust system or dump it altogether. Waste of money on a slip on.

Heres the thing.Slip ons dont mandate a PC3 as it will run fine.Now if you want it to run right and run how it should, then have it tuned by a reputable dyno tuner.There is much room for improvement in the stock ecu.Mine runs amazing ater having it tuned and even better with a BMC filter, airbox mod and eliminating the pair valves.Bottom line is to have it tuned if you want the bike to run optimal because they dont run optimal from the factory.

I have R77 slip ons with the baffles in. Sound great - not too loud...nice burble on the overrun.

Don't waste your money on a PC - get the ECU flashed.

Bike runs fine with no mods.

Search is your friend. Slip-ons change the appearance, maybe sound and reduce weight. That's basically it. The restriction in the exhaust system happens prior to the cans. We had a sponsor who ran a lot of dyno test with a lot of different setups. From memory slip-ons could hurt performance or maybe add a few ponies. Not enough to worry with on a Gen 1 and not a problem for the updated ECU on the Gen II. In the end it's your ride.

It's been over three years but you're paying almost as much for those cans as I did for my full system and PCIII installed.

dam for that price why not get a good yosh 4 into 1 exhaust and make it perform.That stock header sucks and weighs a lot.The idea of making HP with a PC shouldnr be the issue, but if you want the bike to run and perform better with a good tune, then yes get a PC and tune it on a dyno.Suzuki didnt do much from the factory to make these run real good.

I have had the two brothers slip ons on my bike for 5 years now with no issues so far. I do not have a power commander on my bike and it runs fine. It does have a small flat spot right off idle but not enough to concern me. The flat spot got worse as the packing went out of the slip ons but it sounds so good I don't want to repack them. Here is a pic of what they look like:thumbsup:

Darn you Mr. 8Ball that looks right and the sound is pretty sweet too.

Just reading your post I have twin scorpion pipes on my 05 busa and have a flat spot or more so a hesitation if you know what I mean below 2000 rmp after that it cuts in like a power band it's perfect above that but can be a little dangerous in traffic any suggestions to fix this?
Cheers

Back