Do I need a new cush drive? Viedo inside

bigwake

Registered
Video starts at around 18 seconds. Sorry for the messed up video but it's quick. I did a lot of searching on google and some here to find out if I have a worn out cush drive (I think that's what it's called) but I haven't found a good forum post with a definitive answer whether I need one or not. I haven't noticed any issues while riding it but last night I did here a loud clank noise when shifting into 6th gear at least 4 times during a ride. I'd never heard the noise before so I pulled over thinking my chain had fallen off or broke and that's when I found this cush drive slop. I just want to know if it's normal or if it's NOT supposed to have movement like that. I understand they need some movement clockwise/counter-clockwise. I want to chalk the noise up to me just shifting sloppy since I've owned it only about 1,000 miles and I haven't ridden it in 2 weeks. The other thing is that on last night's ride the idle was very low around 900 so it even cut out at idle one time. I put the idle back to around 1200 and will see how it rides tonight. Thanks!

Cush Drive on Vimeo

If you have slop / play in that area either the axel is loose, the cush / rubbers are beat up bad / or other bearings in the carrier are failing. Think of it as a drive line....the cush seems to be a rotation softener...the slop would present itself as you rotated it...what your video shows to me a loose axel...I may be 100% wrong but that is what I get from the video...I do not know how much the cush smashes down under the correct torque value for the axel nut

Thanks for the quick reply. If my axle was loose would my rim also wobble? I'll go and check it out. The original owner had recently replaced the chain and it was super tight when I got it (I loosened it so it's possible the over-tight chain could have caused the cush to ware. Keep up the replies, thanks!

It's not the axle because I just went out and checked. I really think the cush is what's loose but I just wanted to know how much slop is normal. When I move the chain clockwise/counter-clockwise when parked I see about 1/8 inch of movement from the cush, which I read is normal. I wanted to know how much slop is normal when pushing/pulling against the sprocket as I did in the video.

Possibly bad bearing(s)in the cush drive hub, and maybe the wheel.
Are you sure the axle bolt is tight? It should be 72.5 ft lbs.
I'de replace the cush drives too.
It shouldn't flex in and out that much if any, only clockwise/counterclockwise.

If it was the cush drive rubbers, the movement would only be with the travel of the chain.
What is in your video, tell me that the carrier bearing is bad, or the spacer is missing.

Thanks for the additional possible issues. I'm positive that the axle is on tight because I used a torque wrench and the tire tracks straight with no issues. When I say the cush I actually mean those rubber dampers inside.

If it was the cush drive rubbers, the movement would only be with the travel of the chain.
What is in your video, tell me that the carrier bearing is bad, or the spacer is missing.

Thanks for the reply, I'll read up on the carrier bearing and spacer. The spacer could be missing from when the previous owner got new tires or a chain and the mechanic forgot it. The chain was VERY tight when I bought it from him so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

As for the spacers, there should be 1 one the outside of the cush drive, and one that should be on the inside of the cush drive!

Thanks for the reply, I'll read up on the carrier bearing and spacer. The spacer could be missing from when the previous owner got new tires or a chain and the mechanic forgot it. The chain was VERY tight when I bought it from him so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

As for the spacers, there should be 1 one the outside of the cush drive, and one that should be on the inside of the cush drive!

I'm looking at the schematic here just to get an idea of which spacer or bearing you suspect could be my problem. I see the bearing inside the cush is labled #3 and spacers are listed as #2 (behind cush) and #12 as the final wheel spacer. The trick will be figuring out what needs to be done and in order to check I'll have to pull the rear wheel and I have no rear stand. I think I'll have to get one before doing the job because I'll be doing it myself. If this slop has nothing to do with my weird 6th gear shifting I experienced last night and it's just from me not shifting with authority combined with 900rpm idle, how serious of an issue is this slop? I haven't heard anything or noticed any issues at all for 1,000 miles. I only noticed it when I pulled over to see if my chain was ok. Thanks

I'm looking at the schematic here just to get an idea of which spacer or bearing you suspect could be my problem. I see the bearing inside the cush is labled #3 and spacers are listed as #2 (behind cush) and #12 as the final wheel spacer. The trick will be figuring out what needs to be done and in order to check I'll have to pull the rear wheel and I have no rear stand. I think I'll have to get one before doing the job because I'll be doing it myself. If this slop has nothing to do with my weird 6th gear shifting I experienced last night and it's just from me not shifting with authority combined with 900rpm idle, how serious of an issue is this slop? I haven't heard anything or noticed any issues at all for 1,000 miles. I only noticed it when I pulled over to see if my chain was ok. Thanks

If you have bad bearing(s), or especially missing spacer(s) it definately needs to be fixed asap. It will cause further damage and could possibly wobble enough to cause you to loose control.:beerchug:

If you have bad bearing(s), or especially missing spacer(s) it definately needs to be fixed asap. It will cause further damage and could possibly wobble enough to cause you to loose control.:beerchug:

Thanks, I think I'll decide how to approach the lifting and get it sorted after I narrow it down. I apreciate all the help you guys have handed me.

I'd vote for the bearing to be bad also. They are inexpensive & will need to be replaced at intervals front & back.

The Cush Drive you would test by moving the tire back and forth. Tire moves a lot but the chain does not, you've got too much slop in there.

We have the Cush Drives in stock.

I'd vote for the bearing to be bad also. They are inexpensive & will need to be replaced at intervals front & back.

The Cush Drive you would test by moving the tire back and forth. Tire moves a lot but the chain does not, you've got too much slop in there.

We have the Cush Drives in stock.

Which bearing are you talking about that's in the schematic link? 2005 Suzuki GSX1300R Parts, 2005 Suzuki GSX1300R OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Also, when checking the cush drive, do you mean that if I have the rear lifted and I spin the wheel I should see it move more than the chain and sprocket? Thanks

Likley the bearing in the carrier...although there are bearings in the wheel...on both sides.

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

Likley the bearing in the carrier...although there are bearings in the wheel...on both sides.

Great pics, thanks. So to check the bearing I'd see if it has play when I have it apart? And the carrier bearing would be the bearing in the second pic you've got there correct? The other bearing you have in picture 3 is the wheel bearing?

The second is the inside of the carrier...you could probably use a large socket and force it out (hammer / a vice / arbor press) whatever works. If you don't have a rear stand you could use jack stands and put a pipe through the swing arm pivot hole....or straps to a sturdy point above the bike...if you go that route make sure the bike is pretty well tied down because when you take the wheel off it might want to swing around

Back