Digital TV signal delayed.

Why are they making it mandatory that you have to switch? Sounds fishy to me. ???

I say go ahead & make the switch; the ones that lose out on the tv were probably too lazy to do anything all the time they were flooding the airwaves with the switch date...

I just cant wait till all channels must be HighDef, I think someone was saying 2012. I love my HD chanels.

Why are they making it mandatory that you have to switch? Sounds fishy to me. ???

The FCC wants the frequencies that are currently in use for analog broadcasts for other uses such as cell phones and other digital devices.

The FCC has always been populated with morons. When setting the requirements for for color television, they mandated that black and white TVs must also be able to show a color picture (in B&W). That became known as the NTSC standard. I can't remember what the acronym originally stood for, but it has come to mean Never Twice The Same Color.

The UK said B&W users could buy a new set and they came up with a system called PAL. PAL has always been a much better picture than NTSC. The switch to HD TV has taken so long that its standard doesn't include 2.35 to 1 picture dimensions. When they started, picture tubes were the only type of display, and scanning a tube that wide was not doable.
So now, to see the whole pic, you still have bars on an HD TV when you see movies in 2.35 to 1 ratio which is pretty much what every big movie is filmed in.

You can get a 43 inch HD TV for around $650, maybe less. Screw people with analog sets. It costs that much for a couple of aftermarket Busa mufflers. If an antenna is the only means of reception, there are inputs on any HD TV for an antenna.

Noticed all the pop up ads that live in the left lower side of the picture? I saw one that was in the middle of the bottom. How much longer before they we are bombarded for any kind of product all through a movie? The FCC is supposed to watch out for "Any kind of behavior that does not benefit the public."

Sorry to run on, but they are one of my pet peeves. For anyone not to be prepared after all these years is nuts!

we were suppose to have digital TV in 99 but they keep delaying it and delaying. i was hoping 2/17/09 no more analog :poke: you have 10 dam years buy HD TV there cheap now :whistle::rulez:

Just pull the plug on analog and be done with it. The FCC has had stations broadcasting the "switch to digital" message everyday for the last 14 months. Converters cost $40-$60 new. You can get a discount card that cuts $40 off the price. Anyone who hasn't gotten around to it yet doesn't want it that bad.

Just pull the plug on analog and be done with it. The FCC has had stations broadcasting the "switch to digital" message everyday for the last 14 months. Converters cost $40-$60 new. You can get a discount card that cuts $40 off the price. Anyone who hasn't gotten around to it yet doesn't want it that bad.

My feelings exactly!

The problem is that you can't get the discount coupons anymore--the program ran out of funds long ago. So, the people who need them the most can't get them. That's the reason for the proposed delay.

Last edited:
digital WHAT? ? ? What is going on? Our communist government owns and funds TV now? What?

The problem is that you can't get the discount coupons anymore--the program ran out of funds long ago. So, the people who need them the most can't get them. That's the reason for the proposed delay.

Anyone who truly can't come up with $40 in over a year would be living in abject poverty. They shouldn't be wasting money on a TV if they can't save up for a converter in 14 months.

If they really want it, they will find the funds.

whats rediculous is that the converters are costing the country a shid pile of money to fund for people. If people arent ready then they are just lazy, the government was giving away these converters forever for free....all you had to do was ask for one.

just make the switch and be done. plenty of things coming that make digital way way better and the use for the old analog frequencies sounds pretty cool actually :beerchug:

I have local network channels with my dish, and have watched them maybe 4 times in the last year. Hell, the local CBS (or NBC, whichever it was) decided to replace the Indy MotoGP race last fall with a baseball game. Fortunately I was AT the race so didn't miss anything. There's just nothing on the networks but the usual sitcom drivel and soap operas. The local news/weather I get on the computer.
What good is converting digital if there's nothing on that's worth watching in the first place?

Back