Digital camera

SoBad

Donating Member
Registered
Guys and gals I need a little help. This year I plan on taking pictures for my little league football team, mostly the individual pics. What digital SLR camera would you suggest for around $1000 and what additional equipment would you recommend? I'm no pro but the pics I took last year with my 4 Mega Pixel point and shoot camera came out better than the guy we hired so I figured I'd give it a shot.

JJ

I recommend the Olympus Evolt E-500. I have done lots of research and that is the one that I am going with. It's msrp is $699 but you can get packages on ebay that include 2 additional lens, a soft case and memory cards from 1-4 gig for less that $900, plus shipping.

Don

I'll take this one...
smile.gif

Nikon D-100 all the way. No ifs, ands, or buts....

For 1k and under... Nikon D-100! It is a pro SLR that will handle any job you will need to do. It will take pristine shots and is very easy to work. I'd say it's just like a Busa. Yes, there are higher end cameras now... but for that price you CANNOT go wrong with the D-100. I have used this camera since 2003 and it has never given me a problem at all.

You can find the camera body for around 500-700 now (original list price was 2k body only). For individual/portrait type shots you only need to get a 35-70mm zoom lens for it. That will get the job done nicely. Nikon Digital is the way to go in my opinion. I'm a photographer, too. We use Nikon D-100, D-200, and also a Fuji S2Pro. We also have a Nikon F6 35mm we use when clients call for film. The Nikon cameras are by far the best and most reliable out there from my experience. Canon also makes very nice camera systems, but I'm a Nikon man... just like I'm a Suzuki man.

For excellent performance, ease of use, incredible images... Nikon is the way to go (in my humble and experienced opinion)....

Here's a shot of my Nikon N90s film camera... and yeah, Nikon digital cameras work with their film cameras as far as interchangeable lenses go. It's also what makes Nikon so special. A good site for you to look at is www.keh.com for used Nikon systems.

Another note: that flash you see on my film camera is one that was used on a D-100 (best for outdoor work because it's not so bright) and it works incredibly well with my Nikon film camera for indoor and outdoor work. I guess I can't say enough about Nikon... just like I can't say enough about my Busa!!!!

PHOTO TIP 101: While shooting digital... use the 160 or 200 iso because that will give you the "portrait" look you're looking for. Just get a D-100 because that is in your price range and it IS what you need to get the job done.... and always shoot "darker" because an underexposed digital photo is easier to correct than an overexposed one. With digital, what you shoot is what you get pretty much. It's less forgiving than film.... remember that.

Again, good luck out there. Photography is a rough biz...!!!

PB103707.jpg

Here is an example of the Nikon D-100 in action outside under normal (partly cloudy) skies:

(yes, i resized the pic to suit the forum/site)

<!--EDIT|PaNDeM1C
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155700933 -->

DSC_6776xxxxxxx.jpg

Nikon D-100 all the way. No ifs, ands, or buts....

+1

My dad absolutely loves his. He gave up his beloved old Pentax 35mm for it (not knowing my father, of course, there's no way for you to realize what a feat this was, but trust me, we were all amazed when he decided to go digital.)

Sufficed to say, the D-100 camera is THE BEST you can buy for the price and personally I liked it a lot better than some of the super trick high end jobs we shopped around for.

I just bought this. And I really like it.. I did not want to spend a $1000.00 for a camera, but I needed one for my kids sports because I droped a mag light on the LCD screen of my other digital camera..

Fuji FinePix 5.1-Megapixel Digital Camera

I know it is not top of the line and camera buffs will probably rebuke me.. but hey, I think it is an awesome camera..

Has all the options I wanted INCLUDING the standard AA batteries. My last camera had special lithium batteries that were expensive, had no way to charge them unless they were in the camera and caused problems when the batteries died..

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155702623 -->

Our Fuji has been experiencing trouble as of late.... but those cams are very nice (when they work). Overall... I say Nikon is the way to go... for all the right reasons....

But Canon and Fuji make systems that are VERY nice, too...

I still swear by Nikon! All the way.

.... if you want even better images for any SLR... get a 2.8 zoom lens. Yes, expensive. But... worth it!!!

You only need a 70mm max zoom for individual shots/portraits. So don't worry about anything else that can "reach out and touch someone....".

... don't forget about the proper flash and flash blockers/diffusors!!! For pro/sellable shots.... you need that stuff!!!

PM me for any help! I'm here on da org!

I've known two people with the Fuji FinePix SLR that have had all kinds of trouble. That's the only two people I know that have them at all so that's my only experience. Fuji does make a very nice camera system though, I'm just wondering about the problems with THAT particular camera since obviously more than just my two friends have been having problems.

My little pns that I just destroyed (my fault, nothing to do with the camera) was a Fuji and I couldn't have been happier with it. I'd buy another one in a second, but I really want one of those SeaLife convertible underwater jobs with the big strobe and all the gadgets to take with me when I scuba dive, so I'll probably end up with one of those instead.

Still, for a digital SLR under $1000 I'm convinced that you really can't beat the D-100 at all.

My only advice here is to focus on Optics quality and features. The Megapixels are no longer really an issue unless you are planning on going above about 11X17. So focus on the quality of optics and stick to cameras made by a camera company first. IE Nikon, Canon, and to a lesser degree Konica-Minolta and Olympus.

Get a good Nikon, or Canon and you will not be dissapointed.

Im looking at the Nikon D200 right now... I want the ability to snap 5 images a sec.... Pics of the kids on the bikes jumping hills and such..... Pan your thoughts on that one??

Im looking at the Nikon D200 right now... I want the ability to snap 5 images a sec.... Pics of the kids on the bikes jumping hills and such..... Pan your thoughts on that one??
If you're looking to buy a D200... you're going to end up spending over 2k easy... but yes... it's well worth the money IF you shoot a lot... and want amazing photos. It's a professional camera and has some very nice features like a "beep" sound to let you know for sure you're in focus!!! That's the dummy feature!!!

It's a great cam! Buy it if you have the means and the need!!! I totally recommend the D200!

Pan,
Bro, I thought we covered this, stop using THAT pic man, seriously.
Only hotties allowed, I thought we were clear.
rock.gif

Okay so here is a clean example of an attractive girl that was shot using D100 with built in speedlight for fill flash at 1900 hours in late July.

Captain,
Depending on the desired resolution and or file type you can shoot more than 6 frames on the D100 before the buffer blocks the shutter release. However the shooting rate in "Continuous" is only about three per second. You could always go for a used D2X high speed camera that is commonly used by major media but the resolution is not what it is with the D100 or D200.
Jose

<!--EDIT|Projekt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155712216 -->

dsc_0525__fix_.jpg

That photo is very hard on the flash, man! And your b/g is very dark...

... tweak it some.

I think my photo (even though my girl is NOT as hot as yours) shows more what the camera can do in a varied light environment.... and simply lets people know that the D-100 is a must buy!!!..... for under 1k right now!!!! I fully recommend the D-100 to anyone who wants to buy a pro SLR camera for under 1k!

Yeah, correct... I added vividness to the pic and subtracted exposure thus the very dark background. More than anything I wanted to show what can be done out of the box under less than ideal conditions with a 1:4-5.6 lens. I didn't have my SB-800 speedlight that day and that would have made a difference with the diffuser.

I just have to say... right of the box... any box!... the Nikon D100 or 200 will MORE than satisfy any potential buyer...

They are both PRO cameras. Period.

The right lens on a D100 and the right photographer can match the D200. The D200 just has higher capabilities.... and it's just a tad more advanced. The right photographer in the right situation can take an equal photo with either camera.... 100 or 200...

But... if you have the money... get the D200!!!

It's amazing! I've used it and I love it!

So... Nikon. All the way....

D100 for under 1k...

D200 over 1k....

The choice is yours....

Hmmm.... Pan are you saying that I should got with a Nikon D100?
biggrin.gif
Thanks for your input guys im going to start looking at them this week. And once I find one and take a few pictures i'll post em for your critique. One more cool toy for the wife to fuss about
tounge.gif

JJ

Back