Diagnosis and question

Chemmy

Registered
Well I know it has been a few weeks since my last update but the doctors have come up with a diagnosis. Incase you didnt know or have forgotten lol. I came back from Iraq with something seriously wrong with me. The doctors in Mississippi sent me to San Diego to be checked out. It turns out that either by devine intervention or some kind of virus or bacteria. I have what the doctors are calling an advanced case of rheumatoid arthritis.

I am currently sitting here awaiting the decision for them to keep me here or send me home while the year long process decideds how much they are going to medically retire me at. I guess once you attract this for of arthritus then that is it for a military career.

That is the Diagnosis but the question is to anyone out in the world of the Org who has RA. I know that it is uncurable and while ive been told I can continue to live a good life to a point, there will come a time when I just go down hill and this only gets worse. So if it is a personal question shoot me a PM, or if you dont mind then just post up here. I am just wondering if anyone here has it and how they deal with it and continue to ride.

Thank you all and I am sorry it has been a while since I have been on here. I am just having a hard time dealing with the diagnosis and the getting separated 5 years short of retirement.

Thanks
Jeff

I dont have or know much about RA. Sorry to hear about your situation.
I do know that you need to back up all your paperwork yourself by making copies of EVERYTHING in your med record. That stuff has a bad habit of falling out on its own with out your knowledge. And also file a claim with the VA before you get off active duty. It makes the process that much quicker.
Good luck and thanks for your service!!

Sorry to hear. Research in this area is on-going. Had an aunt that lived a good long life with it. She was diagnosed as a child. No matter what life throws your way ; I stay positive. Best of luck brother.

Sorry to hear. My grandmother had RA for more than 60 years, she passed away at 90. Sometimes it would flare up so bad she couldn't open her hands and in her knees, to the point it was hard to walk. Her doctor would give her some kind of shots and it would clear up for months. She lived a very normal and comfortable life with it. I will ask my mother about the treatments since she was always there and would know what the shots were. Good luck and pm me if you have any specific questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't get too down about this, at least not about the Dz itself.

There are lots of different treatment options now and more are in the works. It just takes time to find the one that works for you and at what dose so as to minimize symptoms and side affects.

How many in your family have this?

My sister who is in her 30's was diagnosed in her early 20's and her symptomolgy is more or less well controled, but she has bad days here and there. Move to warm climate if you can, that will help immensely.

I have the self inflicted type of arthritis, osteoarthritis and aside from avoiding activitys that cause flares, I can tell you it has never kept me down, maybe have had to hold back some on things. Track days are pretty much no fun anymore now, the aggressive type of riding kills my knees. I still work out and always will, just wrap those suckers and keep on going! The worst thing is to become inactive.

Sorry to hear the news of your situation, but on the other hand at least you know what it is and now can seek treatment. Too bad the military can't keep you at a desk job for the next 5 years. That has to be frustrating and stressful. Prayers sent to you and your family. God bless and THANK YOU and your wife for your service. :bowdown:

Sorry to here about this, I remember when you first posted up about it. Anyway good luck for the future.

Thanks all for the encouraging words. To answer some of the questions, no one in my family has it at all. There is no trace of it, which is why they presume I picked up something abroad and now it is kickin my butt.

They have me on Humira and some other pills. I just wish the process didnt take so long so I can get back to the wife and kids but it looks like I might be here for a year while they determine the outcome.

Thanks goodwrench that would be cool of you.

Well the brighter side of this is when they retire me I should have more time for rides and get togethers lol.

Thanks again all.

Dang dude. I hope they find a treatment for you quickly. This isn't the end but a different beginning to your life. I'll say some prayers for you and your family.

I'm sorry this happened to you or anybody in the services for that matter,,my son is in the Navy, on his second deployment they ran a round of vaccines into him and all else aboard,,after about 2-3 weeks he got to where he couldn't hardly move because the pain in his joints was so intense,they got him off the ship and back to Jacksonville,Fla where he started seeing military and civilian doctors,,,final diagnosis,,,the Anthrax vaccine had set-up,caused,or just jump-started RA in his body,,it's all going before the medical review board?(they call it something else) and possible medical discharge with disability pay from the Navy and full benifits,,,he has only been in for 5 of the 6 years he signed for,,,,might check into the side effects of that vaccine on the few it 'does' affect,,,,sorry for your discomfort and thank-you for your service,,:please: :bowdown:

Back