DDM high beam quite on me

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
Had the bulbs in for about 2 weeks now. The high beam flicks on, but does not stay on. I think it is a bad bulb although after messing with it for an hour, sometimes I can get it to light up. Then, when I put it back in the housing, it stops working again.

The low beam always comes on, and when I swap ballast the problem stays with the high beam bulb. Guess I will be trying to get a new bulb.

That sux....I just ordered a DDM low kit based on mostly thumbs up from peeps here. Hope mine lasts longer than two weeks! Be sure and update us on the cure!

I have had mine since last year with no problems. Probably rode 8000 miles with them. May be just a bad bulb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe I should not post while dog tired, misspelled quit in the subject line.......

It worked just fine when I installed it and the time until last night. I am hoping it is just the bulb, but we will have to wait and see. If it turns out not to work, I will probably go with another manufacturer of HID kits.

You could have received a faulty bulb, well, one with a short life span. If that is the case maybe call DDM and complain. I suppose they would send another....two weeks working is not long! Lots of folks have been running them for years with no issues. That doesn't help you much though.

As many here who have had them in for long periods of time with zero problems I'd say it's a bad bulb. They do have a lifetime warranty. Think I remember you have to send them the bad one and then they send you a new one? Not sure?
Are you sure you didn't touch it with a greasy or sweaty finger?
That little amount of stuff can cause them to overheat or blow.

Ya, I was pretty careful. I think I just got a bad one and it is done. It happens, and will not be too hard to replace when the new one arrives.

My new bulb will be here on Saturday, I will post an update once I have it installed. I am going to try and install it from the bottom of the cowl instead of going behind the instrument cluster. This should make it a bit easier as I am not gumby and it is a pain in the ass to bend my arm to get to the high beam bulb.

No, I do not. I use the method of holding the start button while turning the key to keep the lights from flicking on then off right away.

I think that the ballast may have gone bad because now that I have only one connected it is much quieter than the high beam ballast was. There was a buzzing noise that was coming from the high beam ballast, then it would go away as the light reached full brightness.

The low beam is nearly silent during operation.

FedEx brought the new bulb by the house on Saturday and I installed it on Sunday. Instead of installing it from the top of the bike behind the cluster, I took off the one panel under the front cowl. It was much easier to install that way.

All is well now, the new bulb kicked on right away and I have zero problems so far. So, chalk that one up to a bad bulb out of the box, it happens.

Back