Damage on Fuel Tank

kevin8105

Registered
Looking at some options here.. I have a black and orange and bought the bike with a dent and paint removed on the top left side of the fuel tank about the size of a dollar piece. I dont know how it happened, but it looks like another bike possibly fell and hit it there. I dont know how much it would cost to have it fixed and painted or if i should go with something like this:
08-11 SUZUKI HAYABUSA GSX1300R FUEL TANK GAS TANK | eBay

I want to go the cheaper route, but if the cheaper route is the tank on Ebay, does anyone know what the grinder looking marks on the pictures are and if it looks damaged?

Thoes grinder looking marks are part of the seam. There are a few chips in the paint (i saw 3) and it looks like the bottom was patched???? black stuff.... I wouldn't get it.....just repair yours or look for another tank.

Thanks man, I was thinking the same thing. I will call around and see what it would cost to fix and repaint mine. Im just a little worried on painting the tank as I have seen others post about paint not matching correctly.

Thoes grinder looking marks are part of the seam. There are a few chips in the paint (i saw 3) and it looks like the bottom was patched???? black stuff.... I wouldn't get it.....just repair yours or look for another tank.

Bottom wasn't patched - that's just where the black rubber bumpers were glued on. That tank looks fine to me for $250 *shrugs*.

You will just need to switch on all the hardware and heat shields from your current tank.

Be careful removing fuel pump from inside old tank. And it is recommended to get a new gasket for it.
The fuel level sensor is on a long arm with a float on the end. You have to carefully snake it out of tank when you remove fuel pump.

Be careful removing fuel pump from inside old tank. And it is recommended to get a new gasket for it.
The fuel level sensor is on a long arm with a float on the end. You have to carefully snake it out of tank when you remove fuel pump.

FYI - Suzuki charges about $20 for that O-ring :laugh: - I changed mine when I pulled my tank apart to add a bung fitting. Make sure to lube it as well. I used Belray waterproof grease when I reinstalled the tank on the o-ring.

Tank in auction looks perfectly fine to me also, as long as you don't mind the couple nicks which could easily be touched up and most likely never noticed. Agreed the black is just backing of a bumper pad and can be cleaned right off with a little acetone.

And it is recommended to get a new gasket for it.

I'm sure it's recommended, but I have never had a problem reusing any off of a suzuki and have changed umpteen of them. As long as they look good with no nicks or creases where they got pinched, usually just wipe them off with a little spray lube to clean them and re-install. ??? Only one I ever had a problem with was on a buddy of mine's Honda, but it was more of a thick flat rubber style gasket versus a o-ring style.

Agreed. I didn't change mine either but it can't hurt to have one on hand if you need it. Mine was just a bit stuck in its groove. I reused it and have had no problems. That's why I said 'recommended'.

Agreed. I didn't change mine either but it can't hurt to have one on hand if you need it. Mine was just a bit stuck in its groove. I reused it and have had no problems. That's why I said 'recommended'.

Yeah, now that it's been put out there the old one will probably leak. :laugh: One of those things where if you just think it your ok, but if it is said out loud your.....well you know. :whistle:

Can't hurt to buy one and keep it in the bag. If you don't need it return it. If you do need it your gonna wish you had it there with you.

Back