Dakar 2011 +++ PICS ADDED

DaCol.

D' Colonel
Donating Member
Anybody else following and watching the Argentina Dakar 2011. Really a great race, but I'am having a problem understanding how so many get lost each stage when they are using ADVANCE GPS's :whistle: . They always have both motorcycles and cars going back and forth looking for the correct direction to travel. INTERESTING :banghead:

Anybody else following and watching the Argentina Dakar 2011. Really a great race, but I'am having a problem understanding how so many get lost each stage when they are using ADVANCE GPS's :whistle: . They always have both motorcycles and cars going back and forth looking for the correct direction to travel. INTERESTING :banghead:

Thats odd ???

maybe just the destination is plugged in, not the path.

Well, the destination and location of fuel points are given prior to the departure. So, keying in the best route shouldn't be a problem . I just can't understand it, not that it keeps me up at night (other than waiting until 11 PM to see that days race :laugh: )

As far as I know they are not allowed to use GPS or transponders. Even though they have them aboard, they are only used for the race officials for location, and in the event of a crash. Only roll charts with distance and direction - left / right are used. They are given the entire route for each stage before the race begins. But, updated additional (secret) check points and course changes are given out 1 hour before each stage starts. That way they have to recalculate direction, locations, fuel, and strategy. It does keep it interesting, difficult, and entertaining to watch.

With that said. Imagine someone handing you a map that said drive 1.7 km, then 45 degrees right, then 32.8 km, 90 degrees left, and so on… for over 500 miles in a day, over rough terrain. On top of that, cars are allowed a navigator/ mechanic, unlike bikes. ???

Last edited:
I have them recorded and am on stage 4. +1 no gps just roll charts. that is on my bucket list of things to see.

It's on Virses at 11 PM Centeral for that days race, and at 2:30 PM to 3 PM again the next day. Only 30 min. , but worth it. I would love to be flying one of the Official Heli's over the course for safty. These guys FLY over dunes, hard rock and up to 13,000 foot mountain crosses, with this years flooded areas stuck in for GRINS :laugh:

I see the Dakar, Senegal banner above our thread about round trip air flights . But, so you guys know, the Dakar is in South America now because of the DANGER of being shot and killed in the African route. NOT A GOOD DAY, plus several contestants were robbed while doing the race a couple of years ago (not to mention one of the truck hit a land mine). Today Dakar starts in Buenos Aires, goes (sort of) to Santiago, Chili, turns north (sort of) towards Bolivia then back south to Buenos Aires for the finish. They do about 350 miles per day for 12 days with a one day break in the middle. Wake up calls are at 3 AM and the race starts a SUN LIGHT (not sun rise) !!! Bikes first, Quads second, Trucks third and then Cars. Generally the cars come in first, bikes second, quads third and trucks (these are Hu-mon-go Trucks - Mainly Russian and Polish) last. Off road racing at it's VERY BEST :cheerleader:

Tonight and tomorrow night 11 PM Centeral will be the last days. Great Race, motorcycles doing 100 plus out in NO WHERE, and Cars doing more. Those guys have Mucho Taco's :cheerleader:

Back