Cut off the dog's ears with scissors...

There may be humane reasons for SOME cropping of ears and tails, but "looks better" is NOT one of them. That's a human's subjectivity forced on the animal. As for avoiding infections/infestations, cropping s/b a last resort, not an automatic procedure. As others have said already, cropping often isn't necessary for good health. If good hygiene by the owners is all that is required, the owners should be up to the task or choose a different animal that's more in line with their committment. Besides, in all likelihood, the perceived need for cropping of any kind is likely the result of human efforts to cross-breed for the sake of human interests.

There may be humane reasons for SOME cropping of ears and tails, but "looks better" is NOT one of them. That's a human's subjectivity forced on the animal. As for avoiding infections/infestations, cropping s/b a last resort, not an automatic procedure. As others have said already, cropping often isn't necessary for good health. If good hygiene by the owners is all that is required, the owners should be up to the task or choose a different animal that's more in line with their committment. Besides, in all likelihood, the perceived need for cropping of any kind is likely the result of human efforts to cross-breed for the sake of human interests.

Having Danes and being around breeders that showed Danes, I learned a lot of stuff I wish I didn't know, stuff they do to fit their show dogs in to the "standard" set by the AKC...Danes gray early (by age 3, you see white fur in their muzzle) and breeders cover their muzzle with mascara :wtf: I prefer the REAL dog, but the standard is what earns winnings in the shows, so that's the real reason behind cropping of ears and tails. Back in the old days, I know some breeds had these body parts cropped to aid them in hunting/prevent injury from whatever they were chasing, but let's be real here - when's the last time you saw someone hunting with a Great Dane? :laugh:

It's sick, the things they do to pups of all kinds to fit the standard...

Meet Isis, she is a 4 year old Doberman that was abused, starved, beaten and neglected to the point she nearly died. She had sores all over her skin, missing hair, and was about 30 pounds under weight. You could see every bone in her body like she was a dog in the concentration camps of WW2.

We adopted her 2 years ago and brought her to a loving home in the country. Still today she is a bit hand shy, but trusts us and loves her new home very much. We often wonder what her story is, but I don't like to think about the bad times as it only makes me sad.

When she moves on to another life, we will rescue another in need of a loving home.

IMG_9302_zps47a1d9ff.jpg

It's sights like that that make me go home and count my Mosin Nagants and pray for forgiveness in my heart.

Spare those beauties (and the ammo)...cruelty to animals and the scum who do it deserve nothing but the most barbaric form of payback imaginable. I grew up with dogs, had one ever since I was a kid and when I came to the US 25 years ago, I had always gone out of my way to get a pet from an animal shelter.

P.S. I am still recovering from rage after reading about this: LINIKY>>>>snopes.com: Dogs as Shark Bait

have you ever owned a dog who gets ear infections from having long ears? I doubt it! I have. its a quite miserable condition for a dog and something that happens very quickly. responsible owners will crop their dogs ears if they are prone to infections. not all breeds are prone but many are.

if you have a persoanl protection dog with long elephant like ears:whistle: the person ur dog is protecting u from could easily grab those long ears and injure ur dog. It also decreases the risk of a hunting dog's ears from being torn when running through thick underbrush.

Dogs with "happy tails" also have the potential to actually break their tails by wagging them too hard and whacking something hard with them which does happen and ive seen it happen. have you? I doubt it. This is extremely painful for them, and often results in having to have their tails docked as adults, which is a hell of a lot more painful than if it had been done when they were days old.

and dogs tend to hear much better with cropped ears. put ur hands over ur ears when someone is talking to you and try to clearly hear what someone is saying. now take ur hands away and see if you hear better....:whistle: its not all about cosmetics.....

and its standard for many breed owners who compete with their dogs. competition dogs are some of the happiest dogs on the planet. they LIVE to train and if the owner could not compete with their dog as a result of NOT cropping the ears then the dog suffers. do a little research before you have diarrhea of the mouth about something you know nothing about....:whistle:

My girl Moxie, black and white, is also a rescue. She's a happy dog with Rainman moments. She will burp in your face, fart, step all over you, lick your pores dry, Ollie's on and off the bed, wait until ur done with a cup of noodles soup so u can pour the broth on her dog food, sit in the bedroom with u, trip u down the stairs, gotta sit in the front seat of the car, always wants to shake hands, expects you to rub her belly when she's on her back and the list goes on and on!!! Armor, my red is like a marine, always on point.... until he gets his ass handed to him by a squirrel or a cat!!! He's a baby as well, just not as retarded as Moxie!!! I love these dogs

Sent from my iPhone

388213_289266201112609_898081735_n.jpg

388555_289266221112607_367322338_n.jpg

299892_270924926280070_853850613_n.jpg

why is it dogs always take over the love seat??? lol. In winter time we just leave the windows / screen doors open and they always go to that couch and sleep under the blanket.

why is it dogs always take over the love seat??? lol. In winter time we just leave the windows / screen doors open and they always go to that couch and sleep under the blanket.

Because the HUGE bed I get them wasn't comfortable enough!!!:laugh: I make the bed in the morning and when I get home from work, theres a huge crater when a dog was sleeping most of the day! I look at them and they give me the:whistle::whistle:

Im not an animal person (only meaning that I dont own any) but I still love them. It pisses me off to see people treat them badly. I had this getto guy that live a few houses up from me about 10 years ago. He kept his dog roped to a tree in the front yard. The dog was skinny from not eating very much and worms so it could slip its collar. For some reason he would come over to my house and lay by the front door. Well after the 3rd or 4th time it came over (and slept by my door) I decided that I was going to keep him. I took him to the vet because he had a huge growth on his cheek which turn out to be cancer. The vet said if I didnt treat him that he would have die within a month or two. I dropped $500 on the dog to get him well and got a city dog license so he could be legally mine. The original owner came to my house once he found out where the dog was and demanded "his" dog back. I showed him my license for him and showed him the vet bill and told him where he could go stick it. He was all pissed and called the cops, they showed up and saw my paperwork and told the guy I was the rightful owner now. Thats when the guys also noticed that I had the dog neutered and said never mind, he didn’t want a "ruined dog" back. As I said before, im not a animal owner so I gave him to a friend of mine who takes very good care of him. Zeus is not around 13 years.

Awesome story- its good to see there are still people out there who care. Awesome job:thumbsup:

animal cruelty is just one of the many things that sets my anger switch off...:banghead: if i could rid the world of animal abusers it would make me happy i have had d animals in my life and everyone of them i saved from the humane societies. 1 full blooded german shepard who was negelcted and abused, a german shepard husky mix who was going to be "put down" due to a surgery she needed but could not undergo unless payed for by an owner, and 2 cats who had other wise have died from starvation. it just blows my mind that people could do the things they do to animals and live with themselves and i hope i never come across some of these people

animal cruelty is just one of the many things that sets my anger switch off...:banghead: if i could rid the world of animal abusers it would make me happy i have had d animals in my life and everyone of them i saved from the humane societies. 1 full blooded german shepard who was negelcted and abused, a german shepard husky mix who was going to be "put down" due to a surgery she needed but could not undergo unless payed for by an owner, and 2 cats who had other wise have died from starvation. it just blows my mind that people could do the things they do to animals and live with themselves and i hope i never come across some of these people

You know whats worse- these same people will have kids or actually have kids now and the thought of them doing this to animals, imagine how they will treat their kids....

yea agreed... its ridiculous and nothing will be done about it because alot of society today is too afraid to step on toes and stand up for the right thing.

Animal abuse pisses me off to being almost red faced with veins popping out of my neck! Why even post something to the nature of this without any happy ending for the pup?

GNBrett, not looking to fight. We do, however, seem to have a difference of opinion on certain points here. I'll state my thoughts, and welcome you to do the same, but I would ask that we keep it respectful and refrain from insults, attacks, etc., as such communication does nothing constructive.

My further thoughts below in red.

have you ever owned a dog who gets ear infections from having long ears? I doubt it! I have. its a quite miserable condition for a dog and something that happens very quickly. responsible owners will crop their dogs ears if they are prone to infections. not all breeds are prone but many are.
Ear infections, yes. Long ears, no. As I said, if it becomes medically necessary/in the best interest of the animal, find. However, too many owners, IMHO, turn to immediate croping when all that is needed is a bit more attention to hygiene. Humanity tends to take the lazy road before the high road. Circumcision, anyone? :whistle:

if you have a persoanl protection dog with long elephant like ears:whistle: the person ur dog is protecting u from could easily grab those long ears and injure ur dog. It also decreases the risk of a hunting dog's ears from being torn when running through thick underbrush.
I don't. And wouldn't. Who's attacking? If one is in need of such serious protection, perhaps a firearm or a human body guard would make more sense. See if the human body guard is OK with croping their ears, which can also be a disadvantage in a fight (Just ask Mike Tyson).

Why does a hunting dog have long ears in the first place if it's such a disadvantage? As I recall, it's due to selective breeding (for human interests) that excessively long ears exist in many/if not all cases. Additionally, the long ears actually AID the animal in tracking scents. If their ears are getting torn, perhaps the dog is being asked to do something that it shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Dogs with "happy tails" also have the potential to actually break their tails by wagging them too hard and whacking something hard with them which does happen and ive seen it happen. have you? I doubt it. This is extremely painful for them, and often results in having to have their tails docked as adults, which is a hell of a lot more painful than if it had been done when they were days old.
Have I witnessed the moment that a tail broke. No. Still, I believe I can grasp the concept. And I do agree that croping the tail to prevent a broken tail in an animal that is, in all likelihood, going to wind up with a broken tail, is a humane application. But notice, that this application is purely for the benefit of the animal. That's key.

and dogs tend to hear much better with cropped ears. put ur hands over ur ears when someone is talking to you and try to clearly hear what someone is saying. now take ur hands away and see if you hear better....:whistle: its not all about cosmetics.....
You're right! I hear much better without hands over my ears! :cheerleader: Of course, my ears are designed a bit differently than a dogs ears. For example, I don't have the ability to move my ears while dogs do. They use those extra bits to focus their hearing. Once again, any "defect" going on with a dog is more than likely the result of selective breeding done to serve human interests. Oh, and other differences between me and dogs: My spectrum of hearing and smell is miniscule in comparison to a dogs. I also almost never wag my tail or lick my own genitals or sniff other humans butts as a handshake. ;)

and its standard for many breed owners who compete with their dogs. competition dogs are some of the happiest dogs on the planet. they LIVE to train and if the owner could not compete with their dog as a result of NOT cropping the ears then the dog suffers. do a little research before you have diarrhea of the mouth about something you know nothing about....:whistle:
I really must question the notion that dogs love to compete. In my experience, dogs only "love competition" insomuch as it serves to please their human(s). Which, IMHO, means that what dogs really love is simply to please. The very fact that humans would, solely for the sake of competition, cut off parts of a dog shows an inherent lack of empathy for the animal. Would it not be far simpler, not mention compassionate, to simply demand that these competitions allow un-cropped ears? I don't know about you, but if my kid "only" had to cut off a bit of their ears in order to play sports, I'd be calling on HE!! of a PTA meeting. Wouldn't you?

I stand by my original comments. Unlike so many, I see more as infinite shades of gray rather than as absolute black or white, meaning that I recognize that for all rules, even my own, there are exceptions. And, though I can be assertive in my opinions, I can still respect the opinions of others. In fact, I find it critical to do so simply for the sake of maintaining a CONSTRUCTIVE dialogue. For it is throught constructive dialogue that I am able to both educate and learn. As soon as dialogue becomes destructive, it simply becomes a collections of monologues and serves no one but the ego of the speaker. :beerchug:

My girl Moxie, black and white, is also a rescue. She's a happy dog with Rainman moments. She will burp in your face, fart, step all over you, lick your pores dry, Ollie's on and off the bed, wait until ur done with a cup of noodles soup so u can pour the broth on her dog food, sit in the bedroom with u, trip u down the stairs, gotta sit in the front seat of the car, always wants to shake hands, expects you to rub her belly when she's on her back and the list goes on and on!!! Armor, my red is like a marine, always on point.... until he gets his ass handed to him by a squirrel or a cat!!! He's a baby as well, just not as retarded as Moxie!!! I love these dogs

Sent from my iPhone

Cute pups! :beerchug:

You know whats worse- these same people will have kids or actually have kids now and the thought of them doing this to animals, imagine how they will treat their kids....

yea agreed... its ridiculous and nothing will be done about it because alot of society today is too afraid to step on toes and stand up for the right thing.

Unfortuately, our society and laws provide only a fraction of the protection and respect for life that is granted to even the WORST of humanity. Those laws make it extremely difficult to for ANYONE to step in and hold people accountable for their treatment of animals in all but the most horrific of offenders. The very fact that there are so many domestic animals without a home is due to the "animals are product" mentality that most of humanity adopts. The best we can do is to make a difference whenever we can in our little corners of the world and try to enlighten others as we go.

PS: HATS OFF to EVERYONE here that has done something to better the life of an animal! You are truly the saints of the world and the measure to which we should all aspire! :cheerleader::beerchug::thumbsup:

Back