Cush Drive question

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
Hey Guys , I bought a bike that has a chrome rim, and the cush drive isnt. I bought one and now wonder , is it an easy change? I am a fairly good wrench turner. Anything I should watch out for? I could use some tips, I'd like to do it tomorrow..also how much grease should I put on the bearings/ axle shaft? I do appreciate the help... Me

Ok I'll post this pic and then tell a few things to watch.

11 and 12 are not the same and the wheel will not be in alignment if they are interchanged.
Watch them when they come out or refer to this pic to see which is which.

14 has to sit in there straight.
With new rubbers, I put a little water soluble lube (KY) on the post that goes into each rubber, put the #11 in the cush, lay the wheel down and push down on the cush so that piece settles in properly.

The ends of 11 and 12 that touch the bearing can have a small coating of wheel grease, as does the entire #14, and axle.

Make sure to torque each of the bolts that holds on the sprocket.

Also put some grease into the lips of dust seals (4 and 16) where they touch the axle.

It is quite easy actually.

Are you OK with taking off the wheel and replacing it?

Cush.jpg

Last edited:
Is rubber the best ones?? If I use my new ones , is there a site member that sell new ones . I like keeps supplies on the shelf.

Is rubber the best ones?? If I use my new ones , is there a site member that sell new ones . I like keeps supplies on the shelf.

Boost by Smith sells aftermarket ones that I have and several others here too.
They are sturdier and last way longer.

Thanks , I'll check with Smith. I think thats who I ordered my last one from.. Red ones , I'll use them now and get replacements.. I do appreciate the help .

I would just go ahead and replace the cush drive while you have everything apart. I will be replacing mine with the set that I ordered from Schnitz Racing as soon as my new set of tires come in.

Mine are still the factory rubber ones with a little over 43,000 miles on them. What do you mean by others lasting longer, how do they go bad?? What goes bad and how can you tell??

They get soft and loose.
Try and rock the cush drive back and forth (direction of chain movement) when the bike is in neutral and the wheel down and you may see some slop.
The new ones tighten it right up.
No more clunking when shifting.

i have to do mine at almost 7k and the slop is very noticeable when shifting. the schnitz racing cush drives did the trick for my gen1 and it was very noticeable after i replaced the oem @ 12k.

They do go bad. My cush drive is to the point where they tend to slip when I get on it really hard in the lower gears.

Back