Cowl to seat/grab rail and back on gen3

Gadget112

Registered
Not sure if anyone saw the response I gave to the changing out the cowl for the grab rail but I came up with a simple solution.
I have just the solution for the riders who like to switch for rear cowl to seat and grab rail. My rear cowl was put on at the dealership so I started with the short bushings under the seat.
Take the short screws and washers out from under the seat. Flex the plastic up enough to push out the 2 forward bushings from underneath. Now here is the good part. Take 2 or the washers that were used with the short screws and slip them under the plastic and align over the treaded hole. From here on out simply install the grab rail bushings upside down thru the top of the grab rail and tighten with the longer screws. Use the other 2 original washers soft washers and long screws on the back holes.
When it’s time to take the grab rail off, leave the long bushing installed in the rail and now put the short bushings back in upside down and use the short screws once again. Make sure the 2 washers that were placed under the plastic are still underneath.(use some double stick tape or gasket sealer to keep the washers in place). Now it’s just a 2 minute changer over to swap from cowl to rail and back again! No more loosening up the tail to swap the bushings. Just flip the forward bushings and washers, done.
If this doesn’t make sense, I’ll post a few pics.

you don't need to remove any bushings when removing the grab rail to fit the tail, just remove the bolts, remove rail, refit bolts - they tighten ok and fit tail. Dunno why suzuki went to the cost of including all the parts they did with the tail purchase.

you don't need to remove any bushings when removing the grab rail to fit the tail, just remove the bolts, remove rail, refit bolts - they tighten ok and fit tail. Dunno why suzuki went to the cost of including all the parts they did with the tail purchase.
If you simply add the screws and washers to the forward long bushings after the grab rail is removed, they do nothing to secure the plastic. But then again your already securing it from the 2 back bushings so touché

Wouldn't it have been simpler for Suzuki to include two barrel spacers? So you'd leave the short spacers in then when you install the grabrail you'd insert the bushings or barrel spacers in the from two holes to fill in that gap. Am I overthinking this?

Wouldn't it have been simpler for Suzuki to include two barrel spacers? So you'd leave the short spacers in then when you install the grabrail you'd insert the bushings or barrel spacers in the from two holes to fill in that gap. Am I overthinking this?
Crazy talk...

Suzuki doing something simpler and easier for the user? Not an often heard statement...

In a perfect world they would have made the rear seat cover notched to go on with the grab rail in place instead of making the users do it.......

I'm sure they've lurked around long enough to know this is a thing many people do...

Yeah but I personally like the cleaner look without the grabrail. It just seems dumb to me that when ever I want to take a passenger they want you to half disassemble the tail section. I'm going to take some measurements and see if I can't come up with a simpler solution.

wheelie passengers GIF

I meant with the seat cowl on and no grab handle but that might be something to look into.
It would have been nice if Suzuki would have made the rear grab rail either retractable or a quick disconnect when we wanted to used the rear seat cover....

I personally have the rear grab rail and a cut out hump in a storage box along with a brand new in plastic rear seat.....I'll never carry a passenger.

Grandma GIF by INTO ACTION

Back