Cowl / hump cutout

dcnblues

Registered
I just realized I haven't seen one pic of anyone who has cutout the new rear cowl / hump for the grab rail. I plan on doing that to mine, so where are the pics?
ps Any concerns that the cutout won't be waterproof? It wasn't an issue on the Gen 1's...

Here's mine. Uses a table top grinder
20220524_193817.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of the actual cutting process or at least pictures of what the underside of the hump looks like in detail?
It's a 4 piece design. Makes it much easier to work on. I just used a dremel with a drywall cutting bit and then sanded the edges and lightly burned them with small propane torch to remove any other roughness.

20220312_014817.jpg

20220312_014834.jpg

Disregard what I said in above post. I thought this was about enlarging the opening underneath for more storage. With that being said If I were to cutout for the grab bar I would use a coping saw with the finest blade you can get and just take it slow. Also after marking the precise area you want to cutout you might want to slowly score the edges with a new razor blade to lessen any paint chipping.

It can be done with a Dremel with the round filing/sanding bit. That's how I did mine. Mark the area to cut and go very slowly with the Dremel, stop and test fit multiple times until it sits properly.

Do you have a photo of underside of your hump? Or a closeup of the cutout edge area?

Do you have a photo of underside of your hump? Or a closeup of the cutout edge area?
I don't have any, but can take some. I see this is the second time you have been looking for pics, so perhaps a little more detail of what you are looking for will help. Understand it can be kind of intimidating cutting the plastic, so just want to ensure you get what helps.

I've seen pictures of the hump installed with the grab rail and am planning on using a Dremel to do mine as well. I was just wondering how it looks like up close and the bottom of the hump. 2000TransAm had posted the angle I wanted, he was just doing the storage hump mod, not the grab rail hump mod.

It's a 4 piece design. Makes it much easier to work on. I just used a dremel with a drywall cutting bit and then sanded the edges and lightly burned them with small propane torch to remove any other roughness.

View attachment 1652264

View attachment 1652265
actually this is on point, have any more pics? did you gain much opening it up? Looking to stuff a small 3 ounce Co2 in the back and she's pretty full with the maxxecu and ignitor in there now.

actually this is on point, have any more pics? did you gain much opening it up? Looking to stuff a small 3 ounce Co2 in the back and she's pretty full with the maxxecu and ignitor in there now.
Didn't gain much. Could have gone even more but want it to still be strong. Can fit a pair of gloves easily. I can almost shove a standard Jansport backpack in there but it takes a few minutes trying to roll it and shove it.

hump compare.jpg

I've forgotten to put the kickstand down, and dropped the bike on its left side. While doing the grab rail / top case mount cutout and holding the hump upside down in my lap, I've gotten front and rear confused during the Dremel but that wasn't the fatal mistake. Despite knowing better, I clicked the hump closed and locked without reconnecting the Locking cable. So that was a quick hump replacement.

You're in good company :p

Last edited:
I've forgotten to put the kickstand down, and dropped the bike on its left side. While doing the grab rail / top case mount cutout and holding the hump upside down in my lap, I've gotten front and rear confused during the Dremel but that wasn't the fatal mistake. Despite knowing better, I clicked the hump closed and locked without reconnecting the Locking cable. So that was a quick hump replacement.

You're in good company
I think we've all locked the hump LOL, I know i did it on my gen1 way back when it had a stock rear tail section 128 years ago

Don't know if anyone has this problem but it always takes me a bit of finagleing to get the hump locked it. Adding the taper isn't as buttery smooth as the Gen1 hump engagement but it is an improvement.

20230721_211328[1].jpg

Don't know if anyone has this problem but it always takes me a bit of finagleing to get the hump locked it. Adding the taper isn't as buttery smooth as the Gen1 hump engagement but it is an improvement.

View attachment 1668929
Im glad you said this, honestly I thought I didn't know what I was doing it my maxxecu was interfering

I can try 3 times and feel like it will never go, then bam it just slides in perfect

Back