Cooling system - Opened? Burping needed?

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
So I have been paging through the gazillion cooling issue threads and such, and I was wondering.....if the busa's system is open, not closed, why does it have to be burped? shouldnt the air force itself out and the system then draw coolant from the overflow bottle? and then one could simply refill there? I mean obviously initially you let it heat up and cool down a few times to burp all the bubbles out, but is the busa so different for some other reason? or am I confusing something? thanks

It needs to be burped or you will have a air bubble(s) and it will over heat :rulez:

Okay. I gathered from the threads that it needed to be burped, but was wondering why the system on the busa didn't burp itself like many cars, and then u just add coolant to the reservoir.

Anywho, I gather rocking back and forth and then filling at radiator cap is the best way to go about all this?

thanks

Drain old coolant.

Fill the reservoir to the fill line. Fill bike with new coolant via the radiator. Leave the radiator cap off, and crank the bike. Allow it to idle until it is at running temperature. 'Goose' the throttle and rock the bike back and forth several times until you don't see any bubbles coming from the radiator.

Do it a few more times, place the radiator cap back on. Go for a ride. If the gauge stays were it should after 10-15 minutes return home and allow the bike to completely cool. Check the reservoir and make sure the coolant is still at the fill line. If it's low add coolant to the reservoir not the radiator.

Note: if the gauge said the bike got too hot during your 10-15 minute ride, you still have air in the bike, and need to continue burping.

The cooling system on the busa is not an open system. It's a pressurized cooling system. If your system heats up to a point and the pressure builds past what the rad cap is rated then the releif is purged into the overflow tank. The overflow tank is simply that. It doesn't get drawn back into the cooling system. It's a returnless system.

You could fill the overflow to the top and it'll never be drawn back into the radiator.

If you don't "burp" the cooling system then you'll trap air in the system.

The cooling system on the busa is not an open system. It's a pressurized cooling system. If your system heats up to a point and the pressure builds past what the rad cap is rated then the releif is purged into the overflow tank. The overflow tank is simply that. It doesn't get drawn back into the cooling system. It's a returnless system.

You could fill the overflow to the top and it'll never be drawn back into the radiator.

Perfect answer!:thumbsup:

might want to manual for a "bleeder bolt" on the engine block like my gixxer 750. it has a bleeder and the proper way to bleed is to idle it serveral times till fans kick in at 217 degres then crack open bolt and let air escape from bolt, re tighten redo till no more air. reason it needs burpin is cuz rad is lower than engine block unlike in cars, air will get trapped in engine block and that needs to be purged. but dont take my word for it, read manual or take it to a shop$ they kno exactly what's up with purging air from cooling system :rulez:

so what the heck, i read other threads which say the coolant in overflow bottle WILL be drawn back into the system
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect answer!:thumbsup:

actually that is incorrect. a closed pressurized cooling is designed to do just that; purge excess air into overflow tank, then as the system cools it builds a vacuum drawing coolant back into the system.
the best way to remove air from ANY cooling system is to use a device called a vac-n-fill. Most technicians such as myself have these. anyhow, it's air operated, pulls a vacuum on the cooling system, thus removing air, then with a hose and adequate etylene glycol mixed properly with distilled water, draws the fluid into the system leaving just enough room after its done to "top off" the radiator, and you're done. shown a few guys this, and a couple even went out to buy the tool cuz it works on any cooling system.

nevermind then lol. was gonna have ya assist me
Posted via Mobile Device

then why does it have a low and high fill line?

actually that is incorrect. a closed pressurized cooling is designed to do just that; purge excess air into overflow tank, then as the system cools it builds a vacuum drawing coolant back into the system.
the best way to remove air from ANY cooling system is to use a device called a vac-n-fill. Most technicians such as myself have these. anyhow, it's air operated, pulls a vacuum on the cooling system, thus removing air, then with a hose and adequate etylene glycol mixed properly with distilled water, draws the fluid into the system leaving just enough room after its done to "top off" the radiator, and you're done. shown a few guys this, and a couple even went out to buy the tool cuz it works on any cooling system.

you are correct.

but a common guy merely needs to bring his bike up to temp and shake it back and forth, then let it cool down. Harder you shake, the quicker it should vent the air

The expansion and contraction of the coolant is what moves the air. Coolant is thick and needs help occasionally.

Back