Another burping question

Zoinks!

Registered
I was in the process of burping the cooling system and had some gurgling and coolant spilling out of the radiator, which I expected, but then, all of a sudden, I get a huge geiser of hot coolant gushing out the radiator. . . This isn't normal is it? Or does that tell me I'm done???? I've burpped plenty of cooling systems on cars, but this is the first time on the busa. Have I done something wrong? What I did was fill the system, leave the cap off, and run the bike. My plan was to just wait till I stopped seeing bubbles coming up, but then this huge geiser started shooting out of the radiator.

fill it... lean it side to side... (bike off) squeeze the fill tube(right side) keep fillin it... your done..

you can run it warm it you want to check your work..

YES ive done this about a thousand times with no issues.

So it burped! Is it over heating? I did what dropbusa says above and left the cap off for a few minutes and everything was fine after that.

Damn, this is this burping I like!!

:cheerleader:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like there was a huge air pocket still in the system, and it just burped itself. Next time hit the side of the radiator with your palm to vibrate it (while filling back up). Then grab both handle bars and swing your bike side to side.

fill it... lean it side to side... (bike off) squeeze the fill tube(right side) keep fillin it... your done..

you can run it warm it you want to check your work..

YES ive done this about a thousand times with no issues.

+1!

on a 08 busa there is a little bleeder valve located at the thermo housing just open it alittle and fill system tell you seeeee all the bubbles are coming out then close the valve and top off radiator run engine for 2 min's and then top off radiator again install the cap and -----wam bam thank you mam--- your done enjoy the ride , advise from the horse's mouth here-- ASE motorcycle tech showed me this in person at the dealer here in so cal .:bowdown:

Last edited:
I was in the process of burping the cooling system and had some gurgling and coolant spilling out of the radiator, which I expected, but then, all of a sudden, I get a huge geiser of hot coolant gushing out the radiator. . . This isn't normal is it? Or does that tell me I'm done???? I've burpped plenty of cooling systems on cars, but this is the first time on the busa. Have I done something wrong? What I did was fill the system, leave the cap off, and run the bike. My plan was to just wait till I stopped seeing bubbles coming up, but then this huge geiser started shooting out of the radiator.
Always leave the cap on...just have it turned past the first lock...which lets it sit loose and breathe....but keeps coolant from spraying out all over everything, and causing you some expensive paint damage. I also wrapped a couple of shop rags around the cap and tucked them under abit. Kept the whole operation VERY mess free. I ran it 3 times till coolant starting coming out, that burped it perfectly :beerchug: Also as your filling the system initially, and after each burping, squeeze both the radiator hoses a few times....you'll be suprised how much air you can get out that way, and how much the fluid level drops :laugh: It really speeds up the whole process :thumbsup: Bikes aren't like cars, they're tiny systems react much different to burping, so they do tend to shoot more coolant out than a car would ;)

on a 08 busa there is a little bleeder valve located at the thermo housing just open it alittle and fill system tell you seeeee all the bubbles are coming out then close the valve and top off radiator run engine for 2 min's and then top off radiator again install the cap and -----wam bam thank you mam--- your done enjoy the ride , advise from the horse's mouth here-- ASE motorcycle tech showed me this in person at the dealer here in so cal .:bowdown:

I have an 06. No bleeder screw on mine. I wish there was. If it were up to me every cooling system ever made would have one. I'm an ASE certified Master Auto Tech, I've just never worked on bikes before. Till I got the busa. I'm just having to learn as I go with the motorcycle repairs.

Always leave the cap on...just have it turned past the first lock...which lets it sit loose and breathe....but keeps coolant from spraying out all over everything, and causing you some expensive paint damage. I also wrapped a couple of shop rags around the cap and tucked them under abit. Kept the whole operation VERY mess free. I ran it 3 times till coolant starting coming out, that burped it perfectly :beerchug: Also as your filling the system initially, and after each burping, squeeze both the radiator hoses a few times....you'll be suprised how much air you can get out that way, and how much the fluid level drops :laugh: It really speeds up the whole process :thumbsup: Bikes aren't like cars, they're tiny systems react much different to burping, so they do tend to shoot more coolant out than a car would ;)

I was squeezing the hoses. You're right, it does make for a much faster process. I've been doing that for years and it really is crazy how much air you can get out just by doing that. I actually never thought about leaving the cap on. Thinking about it now, that would have been a much better idea, but when I do it on cars I just leave the cap off so I can add coolant as needed. I knew the busa system was much smaller, but I didn't think it would react any different. But thinking about it now, there is one car that I know of that does the same thing. Cadillac seville, mid 90s model. Shoots coolant about 3ft in the air if you fill it completely before burping. I guess the busa does the same thing, haha.

I did ride it last night. After the gushing, I filled it back up, put the cap on, and went for a ride. She seemed to do fine, but I did have plastics off and it was fairly cool last night. I'll ride again today in the warmer weather (if it's not raining) and see how she does. I think she'll be fine, though.

Fill the Radiator to the top-take your time as the radiator will bubble
Add coolant to the overflow bottle and mark it with a marker
Start up the bike and let it get warm
Shut the bike off and let it cool
Coolant will siphon for the coolant overflow bottle into the radiator
This process may take several time to ensure the radiator is full

Back