Coolant leak on an 08???

Greenbean

Registered
rock.gif
I have had her for maybe not even four weeks yet and noticed the last few times putting her to bed I thought I smelled antifreeze, well last night I went to a guys house and sure enough I noticed the dried up runs of coolant on my right side lower fairing opening/vent whatever, and also one drip on the header tube itself. You guys had this before, It isn't going to be easy to schedule to get it in to the dealer. I'll get pics today and get them up asap.

Relax, 'bro, this is not uncommon at all. It happened on my K8 early on, as well.

No need to take it to the dealer and let pimply-faced kids snap off your fairing tabs, etc. All you really need to do is remove the right side fairing, and determine which coolant hose clamp is the leaking culprit. Tighten it up, and voilà, you're all good again!  
thumb_up.gif

Relax, 'bro, this is not uncommon at all. It happened on my K8 early on, as well.

No need to take it to the dealer and let pimply-faced kids snap off your fairing tabs, etc. All you really need to do is remove the right side fairing, and determine which coolant hose clamp is the leaking culprit. Tighten it up, and voilà, you're all good again!  
thumb_up.gif
That's sound advice!
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif
spoken like a true "Dealer service" victim
rofl.gif

This was a common problem on the SV1000

mine had the problem a couple of months after purchase, so did lots of other riders.

Perhaps suzuki have a really lazy hose doer-upper working in their factory, or maybe his power screwdriver needs some new batteries.

Andy.

lol. Thanks guys. I'll look at it tonight and check the hose clamps and hoses on the right side, good thing is I can get to the upper hose and clamp through the hole in the upper part of the fairing.

thumb_up.gif
spoken like a true "Dealer service" victim  
rofl.gif
Only once... in the early-mid 90's, I had a new Kawasaki that had a bolt come unmade inside the stator housing. It did a lot of damaged, and a lot of warranty work was performed. The bike was never the same again. Sadly, I had zero time to test ride the thing before heading out on a 2 week trip to Yosemite NP.

The bike was just so completely dicked... so much so, that 6 days into my trip, I rode the POS into Fresno and traded it in on a new '95 ST1100.

I've owned a lot of bikes since then. Never have they ever gone back to the dealership for service/repair. For anything.

lol...So last night I clean the whole area and then while standing on my head with Surefire LED in my mouth i find the leak...

It is the dang overflow line from the coolant resv tank...lol...

It just happens to be hidden from view and when it "burps" it drips on the right side header tube and then onto the fairing. I repositioned it and all is well again...

Until this happended...

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=101426

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>UPDATE...</span>
So I was at the dealer and just mentioned what i found with the over flow line "burping" coolant. Well it did it again last night. I got her home and ready for bed and started to smell it again, burned coolant smell, So I look over and yup, ANOTHER trail of coolant on my right lower black section of the fairing. Almost 4" long...

Should this be normal???
bump.gif

If it does it again I am taking pics...

I had the same thing but mine turned out to a rock damaging the rad. Fixed it with a small amount of jb weld. After 9000+ miles on the 08 she is working leak free. Oh yea this happened with 1200 miles, so I was very bummed. Now I carry jb weld on the bike.

Back