Cool old car (or other) stories.....

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Decided to start a new thread and give "ol @VIPER a break on his thread...

@sixpack577 and I (and hopefully many others) can enjoy a few urban legend stories about vehicles here..

When we speak of Mopars, I like to watch "Graveyard Cars" as he is 100% Mopar and seems to be a fanatic on the subject...

They restored a car which is supposed to be 1 of 2 ever built.

On a very less exciting scale, years ago (1990) when I came home from an overseas deployment I decided to buy a Mazda 4X4 truck....with cash in hand, I went to the dealership of whom I had a rapport with and the salesman I dealt with in the past showed me a white 2600i 4x4 (as fuel injection was fairly new in vehicles it was a special truck).

This truck was as loaded as you could buy one so I paid cash and off I went...a few days later I get a call from the dealership owner who asked me if I could return the truck and they'd give me anything in the lot straight across the board...apparently this particular truck was the first of it's kind in Canada and therefore kind of special and wasn't technically supposed to be sold.

I declined and kept it but was asked if I could bring it to the dealership so they could take pictures of it for Mazda Canada..

This car belongs to a former colleague who got it from his father who bought it new...this is at the first ever car show it has ever been in.

IMG_0242.JPG

So my dad has a 67 chevelle he had completely restored when I was a kid. When I was a teenager he let me and my brother drive it a lot this car is a blast to drive it has a built 454 and a 4 speed. I would start in second here and do block long burnouts. Anyways one summer day I decided to take it out and was out cruising around my small town. I drove past this girl that was in my class and 17 year old me figured I would give her a good ride. So pull out on the highway sideways and go through all the gears. So I did not ask my Dad for permission to drive his car and was not aware he was working on the carb. So when I start to slow down the car back fires and catches on fire. I pop the hood and use a bottle of water dump on it that does nothing so I take my shirt off to put the fire out. So I’m sitting on the side of the road broke down shirtless with this girl. Ya plan literally blew up in my face. I was able to restart the car and drive it home. When i saw my Dad I told him that I caught his car on fire. He asked me if it had burnt to the ground and I said no and he said that’s good. I couldn’t believe how cool he was about it. It ended melting the oil pressure line so it leaked oil on to the clutch. So replacing clutch, oil line, and repainting hood was all that needed to be done.

This thread is an excellent idea. I am sure there are a bunch of gear heads and guys with stories!
I do not have pictures but in days past i had a 1978 trans-am. It was black with the gold bird. I loved that car. 6.6 litres of fun and tire destroying. I also has a 1976 nova. It had a 454 under the hood not stock by any stretch of the imagination. I used to love going to old car shows with it. I also had a 1994 Corevette im sure there are a few pics around here of it some place. It was an lt1 with a procharger on it. Made a lot of power was told upwards of 800hp but i can not prove that. It was white and sounded sooo mean. My last real 4 wheel fun car was a 1991 ford mustang 5.0. Got rid of the 5.0 dropped a 351 in her and a bunch of money in mods etc. It was a true 10 sec car. I spent a lot of time on the track (drag) with it and enjoyed bracket racing and grudge racing.

My older brother has had his fair share of vintage cars over the years...he had a '56 Saratoga at one time, that car was way ahead of it's time.

He lost a '64 step side F-100 in his divorce, it was completely original and had never been touched, his ex-wife had a buyer waiting for it the minute he signed it over to her.....my brother who seldom curses had a few choice words for her.

He has a completely restored '66 Impala rag top which he has had for over 40 yrs, he didn't lose it in the divorce thankfully....it's a butternut yellow car with black top and interior....

Back