Cool Mod on Gen I

busa-bager

Registered
Hello Group,
I am starting the next Mod on my 01 Busa, living in South East Texas is very hot. I want to do the two cool fan mod. I have see the swap with Gen II radiator with the dual fans. Or adding the extra fan to what I have now. I want the best mod that works as automatically as possible.
Thanks in advance for your help.

The Gen 2 radiator and fans are much more efficient, whatever route you go, get the Muzzy fan blades, it will save you some hassle latter.

Will the mod with like the stock config with the fans turning on when the bike reached at certain tempter. I was wonder if I have to get hoses cut or will the stock hoses will work, and how to connect the wiring.

Was looking at this mod as well. Found a deal on feebay for just the "RIGHT" fan assembly off a GENII. (LINKY) I'm wondering if it would be a better fit on a GENI radiator assembly rather than trying to fabricate a mounting scheme for a second fan.
I figure tying both fans into a relay circuit whereby they both will be activated by the regular temperature "trigger". I too prefer it all to be automatic versus having another switch to worry about.
Also read some opinions on MUZZY blades are'nt all they are cracked up to be?
???

I've done lots of different cooling system mods. For a Gen 1 the simpy way is to get an old gixx fan, and the honda temp switch. This way All you have to do is mount the second fan, add a relay and some wires for the second fan and swap out the temp sensor. The fans will both kick on at a lower temp and run until the temp drop back down to a lower temp than the OE sensor. Leave the OE fan blades in. They have a much better pitch that muzzy and are alot closer to the rad too. This makes them that uch more efficient.

The other option is to go with the Gen2 setup. You would need a complete rad, fans, and hoses. You'll also need to cut a splice into the return hose an adapter (rcc has this piece) so you can relocate the fan switch. You'll need to up the OE fuse as well.

Also, if you're worried about boil over you can add a higher pressure rad cap.
Run water and waterwetter to get the better heat absorption from the cooling system.

Either method will work better than the OE Gen1 setup.

I took the path of least resistance on this issue. THis is what i did
1. muzzy blade
2. lower temp switch
3. engine ice

I know Ohio aint got nothin on Texas for heat but this mod has more than solved my issues with heat. You will likely do most of these anyway so start with this perhaps and see if it does it. It is cheaper and a lot easier to do than adding additional fans. You can always do that next but i bet this will do it.
Just remember that when you change your antifreeze, make sure when you drain it that you flush it with distilled water. fill it up. run the bike, then drain it. It will take several times to insure all of the old antifreeze is out.:rulez:

FYI the GEN2 radiator is a different radiator.. different mounts, wider, different hose locations, lack of fan temp switch bung etc etc I tried going that route and without fabbing stuff up it just wasnt worth the effort.

I've done lots of different cooling system mods. For a Gen 1 the simpy way is to get an old gixx fan, and the honda temp switch. This way All you have to do is mount the second fan, add a relay and some wires for the second fan and swap out the temp sensor. The fans will both kick on at a lower temp and run until the temp drop back down to a lower temp than the OE sensor. Leave the OE fan blades in. They have a much better pitch that muzzy and are alot closer to the rad too. This makes them that uch more efficient.

The other option is to go with the Gen2 setup. You would need a complete rad, fans, and hoses. You'll also need to cut a splice into the return hose an adapter (rcc has this piece) so you can relocate the fan switch. You'll need to up the OE fuse as well.

Also, if you're worried about boil over you can add a higher pressure rad cap.
Run water and waterwetter to get the better heat absorption from the cooling system.

Either method will work better than the OE Gen1 setup.

Which Honda model are we talking about here? Been reading about it a little here and there but no idea which switch i should get.

INstalled my Gen2 radiator and fans a few weeks ago. Works brilliantly :beerchug:. Fans are much more efficient than the Gen1

Back