Confirmed reports of Busa subframe failure - IF YOU\'VE GOT LUGGAGE TAK

Richard, maybe an idea for an aftermarket subframe in tubular steel powdercoated black (it's all out of sight anyway, have always wondered why it was aluminum and have already thought about powdercoating it black)?

Animal

isn't it the subframe mounting brackets that are the problem?? Not the subframe.

Richard might be joking about the exahusts, but beef them up enough and they might just stop your rear falling onto the wheel!

he he

Nuts ;)

I have the Givi full system!!! I just got off of the phone with the Givi rep. They called me to tell me about the failure.

At this point they have not officailly recalled it yet. Legal is reviewing and hopefully will have an answer soon.

My understanding is that they are to immediatley stop selling the system for the Busa. They have showed tremendous concern about this.

As far as the mounting points they are as follows: Both bungee holders and the passenger foot pegs with a stablizer bar running between the 2 side bars.

When I go on trips (often) or when my 8 year old rides, I put the bags on. I have not experienced any issues. Although I do have them off right now and am concerned about putting them on.

Does anyone have a contact at Suzuki who can assist with this and maybe share some info????

Thanks.

JB

NN, haven't seen pics but assuming from what I know is there, it seems to me that it can only be the part of the subframe itself where those 4 large bolts screw into, probably the upper 2 mounts as these will have the really big stretching loads on them in my reasoning?
Oh, BTW, torque on them large bolts mentioned as 45 N.m in my '99 book page 8-37.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 12 July 2000).]

The actual subframe itself snaps about 1 inch from where it bolts to the frame - a clean break.

Re loose bolts - wise to check loose bolts will amplify shock loadings significantly.

Givi have acknowledged the problem this is not a joke.

There is a story in MCN regarding subframes snapping - with 2 or 3 accounts from owners.

They also have a picture of one of the failed bikes.

Two of the Busas had givi luggage systems fitted.

Givi have sent a recall to all Hayabusa owners to remove their luggage system until Suzuki have rectified the problem.

Aparently the seat unit collapses onto the back wheel - ouch.

It snaps at the point where the subframe bolts on (either side of the battery)

Check yours out.

SO, WHAT ABOUT PASSENGERS IS IT OK TO CARRY THEM? BY THE SOUNDS OF IT I WOULD SAY NO. WOULDNT WANT THE WIFE TO TAKE A TUMBLE. THAT WOULD HURT.

Yup I did spot that Numbs but I wanted all the attention and glory :)

I felt the bit about luggage was important and worthy of a new thread!

I would HIGHLY suggest that you check torque on the FOUR bolts that hold the rear subframe on.
I just replaced one due to a truck backed over the bike and was surprised that one was loose I might have been due to the wreck but why not check the torque spec is..
32.5 ft lbs

DM
I understand ;)

JC without looking at book I don't know, how many bolts are there??
And whats the torque in Nm?
thanks

Nuts

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 12 July 2000).]

NN, 4 bolts, one upper and lower each side and lookup Newton-meter values yourself tonight just before dozing off, will you.

Back