should i be worried about subframe issues on 00 busa

gsxr996

Registered
i've got a downpayment on a 00 busa,very well looked after bike.i'm buying it mostly for 2up riding and its low seat height so the wife can drive it too.but i've been riding about the subframe failures on 99,00 busa and i'm worried now.must of the failures are from 2up riding with luggage,which is what i intend to do.the bike still has the stock exhaust,this is supposed to make a differance.upgrade to the steel subframe you say,well it cost $939 here in canada so the the bike wouldn't be much of a deal then.the say the maximun weight should not be more than 195k(429lbs),me and the wife weigh more than 400lbs with all our gear on.should i stay away from this bike then?

Last edited:
Nah!!!It was a single case which was overinflated and happened under insignificant circumstances. Suzuki was forced somehow to do the recall.You have to worry more for the gas pump and startermotor than this.If I can remember well Suzuki made these changes after '00.Wait for more posts on your subject though:beerchug:

my 99 still has the original alloy sub frame with no issues so far , i just check it periodically around the mounting points,
i looked in to this when i had those worries & my local dealer claims it wasnt a recall they just changed them under wty as and when they failed , he also claims that the after market pipe being a factor to them failing is a load of tosh ( poss a get out clause from suzuki ) :whistle:

There were 16 subframe failures with 99 and 2000 Hayabusa subframes. I made these but Suzuki went to a Steel subframe in 2001.

SubframeBraces5.jpg

SubframeBraces4.jpg

Subframebraces3.jpg

Subframebraces2.jpg

SubframeBraces.jpg

Brace2.jpg

Brace1.jpg

The aluminum sub frame is lighter, more expensive and sought after by racers. I have a buddy with a 99' who's been offered cash and swap for the steel sub frame many times.

If your worried about it, you can find steel ones on ebay for near nothing. I just did a search and found many under 50.00 bucks. Good luck.

Like I told you in the other thread, you can sell the aluminum one, buy a steel one and make some money.....

Back