Computer and IT gurus

Yes thanks!. Also, under vista and Windows 7, you should also go into the control panel, device manager, open up disk drives, right click on your main drive, choose properties, then the Policies tab and check the "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" option. This is an example of Microsoft trying to cover their @$$ by crippling the operating system in the name of safety.

By turning that off will it jeopardize safety of the computer?

By turning that off will it jeopardize safety of the computer?

No, it just gives the hard disk the freedom to commit the data that's in it's onboard cache when it sees fit. If that option isn't checked then windows waits for the drive to say that the data has actually been committed before continuing. This option was actually enabled by default on Windows XP, yet drives NOW are much faster that than they used to be so it should be less of an issue not more. In my personal experience, I have not seen one time where enabling that option has caused problems.

Pretty simple really. Go to visit "Black Viper" and he is great. Just look under popular content and choose your OS and check out what every OS native prog does and make a decision if you want it or not. Do 1 or 2 at a time and that way you can back out if it does something you don't like and you can know which one if was. I'm a 23 year tech and I trust this guys knowledge. Black Viper's Web Site :beerchug:

the proper way to stop programs from starting on start up is to find the programs that are harassing you ( msconfig will tell you what is running) google the names used.. then find that program in your "remove programs" then choose to remove it (if you do not need it). or open the programs main executable (.exe) or find it in your "programs menu" listed in the "Start" option on your desktop and then see if the program can be disabled on startup (look through its settings and possibly its help options. using MSCONFIG is a diagnostic utility and most people just use it as an easy way to solve a problem.. its not their for that reason... be responsible and make sure you take the "check" out of box that say "run on start up" while you are installing your programs..

Back