Computer and IT gurus

tmf2004

Registered
I'd like to turnoff a few programs at startup and while on the internet. Seems like theirs always something running in the background while I'm surfing the net or on a website.

While checking the security features on Windows i ran across a program called Windows Defender. While in that program I can turn off programs at startup and currently running..

Which programs if any can i turn off and is there different way to turn programs off instead of windows defender?

I have a Toshiba laptop, windows vista, Internet Explorer(:moon:) and Firefox (which is what i use for my browser)..

Thanks

In vista you can click on the start button, then where it says start search type msconfig. You will get a system config box, one of the top tabs says start up. Will list all programs running at start up, boxes with a check are running.

In vista you can click on the start button, then where it says start search type msconfig. You will get a system config box, one of the top tabs says start up. Will list all programs running at start up, boxes with a check are running.

Thanks, but what programs are necessary and what programs don't i need. Unwanted programs that are running slow down the computer right.

Depends what you have running I guess. Im not a computer guy at all, but guys at work told me about this so I turned off all messenger, adobe, media players. simple programs like that. I hope that helps some. Im sure someone will chime in soon.

It's easy to figure out which process belongs to which program. There's a great tool for that. You wanna know the name?

GOOGLE :)

No, seriously, if you just search by the process name, there's sites which will tell you the program it belongs to any if it's a normal program or spyware or virus.

Not only startup on msconfig, you can also check the running programs by pressing ctrl+alt+del and viewing your 'Task Manager', under 'Processes' tab. If you want, temporarily you can shut down processes from there too. But it's not a permanent solution.

But as said before, first step would be to turn off your messenger's auto start up on system start. I think every messenger has option to turn that off.

Oh by the way, I hope you have a good anti-virus software, like norton, installed on your pc. If not, get one. It's not that expensive. Will save you from lot of headache.

He is correct in using the MSConfig tool to remove startup programs. I will generally turn everything off except the sound card drivers and the ctfmon.exe

You can drag the command box wider so you know what is what exactly.

for instance the progs I will leave running on my work comp if I was to treat it like my home comp would be:

smax4pnp C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe - Sound
ctfmon C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Everything else I would turn off since it can be started when you need it.

Of course if you don't use text to speech touch monitor or pen pad you can turn off ctfmon.exe also just leaving your sound device running.

Obviously if you are on a laptop you would want to leave your wireless card running also. maybe an antivirus but everything else can go.

Last edited:
First make sure your "windows defender" is from Microsoft and not one of the many viruses that masquerade as "windows defender".

For removing startup programs I think there is nothing better than AutoRuns and it is free! :thumbsup:

You'll still have to be careful with the program but it gives you a very easy to read list with the manufacture of the product in question. If you need further info you can right click on a line item and there is a google option that will automatically search for the name and give you useful information.

Good luck :beerchug:

Also, be sure to go to Start | (All) Programs | Startup and make sure that's empty as well for programs that launch when you start your computer. People overlook this sometimes too.
If you're having problems while browsing, you can always right-click on the taskbar and choose Task Manager | Choose the Processes tab. There is a column named CPU. If you click on that column, it will sort the processes in use up towards the top. Highlight the firefox.exe (Mozilla) or iexplore.exe (IE) that has a high CPU and Mem Usage number and End Process.

2 Things:
Firstly, windows defender is a resource hog, I tend to kill it in all versions of windows. If you are running Microsoft Defender on XP then you are out of date anyway as Microsoft has replaced that with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Secondly, try this program, it adds a Startup icon to the control panel and is much easier than msconfig.
Also, right click on your C: drive in the "My Computer" view and un-check "Allow indexing service to index...blah", say OK/Yes/Yes to all to all queries till it's finished, that helps too.

I personally am against any small company software for system performance improvement. Who knows what security vulnerability will it bring. That's why I suggest to use Norton Anti-virus to keep it safe and occasional de-fragmentation of the drives.

It's easy to figure out which process belongs to which program. There's a great tool for that. You wanna know the name?

GOOGLE :)

No, seriously, if you just search by the process name, there's sites which will tell you the program it belongs to any if it's a normal program or spyware or virus.

Not only startup on msconfig, you can also check the running programs by pressing ctrl+alt+del and viewing your 'Task Manager', under 'Processes' tab. If you want, temporarily you can shut down processes from there too. But it's not a permanent solution.

But as said before, first step would be to turn off your messenger's auto start up on system start. I think every messenger has option to turn that off.

Oh by the way, I hope you have a good anti-virus software, like norton, installed on your pc. If not, get one. It's not that expensive. Will save you from lot of headache.

Thanks guys for the tips.. I did turn off a few things such as itunes, all the adobe stuff, and a few others that IMO don't need to turn on at start up..

I'm also running MCafee security and thinking about getting Avast also..

I personally am against any small company software for system performance improvement. Who knows what security vulnerability will it bring. That's why I suggest to use Norton Anti-virus to keep it safe and occasional de-fragmentation of the drives.

You're nuts, this what I do every day of my working life and I'll tell you from TONNES of experience that Norton is one of the worst things you can put on your PC, is is relatively ineffective and also an absolute resource hog
PC Magazine agrees BTW.
I don't know why you think are better off with large company products, with the exception of Microsoft's operating systems & office suites,
I have kept many companies going including my current 150+ user setup running silky smooth using a variety of "small" company products.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 Things:
Firstly, windows defender is a resource hog, I tend to kill it in all versions of windows. If you are running Microsoft Defender on XP then you are out of date anyway as Microsoft has replaced that with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Secondly, try this program, it adds a Startup icon to the control panel and is much easier than msconfig.
Also, right click on your C: drive in the "My Computer" view and un-check "Allow indexing service to index...blah", say OK/Yes/Yes to all to all queries till it's finished, that helps too.

I'm trying to do this but can't figure it out.. I right click on the C drive and i get a box with different sections but nothing to uncheck? Thanks

Well there is your problem. Vista is the like the red headed step child of OS's. Sorry I hate Vista.

Anyways back to your issue.

What he is asking you to uncheck is under properties when you right click on the c: drive.

Well there is your problem. Vista is the like the red headed step child of OS's. Sorry I hate Vista.

Anyways back to your issue.

What he is asking you to uncheck is under properties when you right click on the c: drive.

Yes thanks!. Also, under vista and Windows 7, you should also go into the control panel, device manager, open up disk drives, right click on your main drive, choose properties, then the Policies tab and check the "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" option. This is an example of Microsoft trying to cover their @$$ by crippling the operating system in the name of safety.

You need to download windows 7! vista sucksss.

I have a mac so i am immune to all of windows plagues and problems :thumbsup:

You may be immune to the Windows plagues and problems, but Mac OSX is becoming a bigger target every day. The sheer number of Windows installs dictates that they are going to be a bigger target for malware writers, but I wouldn't get too comfortable. There are numerous articles talking about how Microsoft is doing more to secure Windows 7 than Apple is in OSX.

[link] [link2]

Back