Complacency-Reality Check

E Zurcher

Registered
I have had a couple of close calls over the past week and after some reflection I have to say both of them could have been avoided by me. First ws a left turn from an oncoming car in front of me as I went through an intersection on a green light. Second was a person pulling out in front of me in the far right lane just as I was moving from the center lane to the right trying to get past some slow traffic. On both these incidents I was not paying as close attention as I should, did not realize the potential for a wreck and did not have a plan in my head to avoid it either. The second I could have reached out and touched the car as I squeezed in between the two lanes. Bottom line is I was lucky!

Point being, as we get comfortable with our rides, our skills increase, and more time passes between close calls or avoided incidents we tend to become complacent and forget how quickly things can go wrong. Lucky for me I had a couple of close calls that "woke" me up and I am back on the right track. Either of these could have endid things for me rather quickly.

I just wanted to share this and ask that everyone take a couple of moments to think back on a close call you may have had in the past and keep that in mind as the Summer arrives and riding season begins.

Ride Safe Friends!

that's good advice. You have to stay vigilant at all time. Unless you are on a lonely stretch of road and even then b careful.

Ride safe

I have notice myself getting kinda lost at times on my bike. This is great advice and I will think about this every time I ride now. Thanks:thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I used to be good about making sure I read a safety book every year or two, just to stay fresh. I'm going to go read another book. You can never have too many reminders when it comes to bike safety.

The MSF and a track day every now and then will go a long way...I'm sure Tuf will agree with that.

I had the same thing happen to me in Iraq when I was flying. Neither of us were paying much attention, just following our wing-man back home. 40 minutes later we were approaching the Iranian border...it was a serious wake up for all of us and a lesson learned in complacency.

And besides other vehicles that you have to watch out for. You have to remember about wildlife too, over the weekend up here in CNY a cruiser T-boned a deer at dusk. And on I95 in Florida i've seen ladders, mattresses, paint cans and other misc things that get left in the road. Keep your head on a swivel to keep the shiny side up and and sticky side down.

Back