Collectability of stock Gen. 1 Busas...

bjewell

Registered
As many of these bikes have been crashed, seriously modded or salvaged, I'm wondering if the resale price will slowly start climbing? A little known fact in the USA is that (much) older bikes were continued to be made in Japan for the local market.

You could buy a new '82/'83 style Katana up to a few years ago. Kawasaki was selling their '81 red 750 until about the same time.

On a Sunday ride, you will see a gazillion Harleys but very few Hayabusas. Considering that the body style is a classic in the making, I have to say -- after a weekend watching Barrett Jackson on Speed Channel -LLL- -- that V.1 Busas are going to be super collectable in a few years.

Yeah, I own an '07. But a coppr-top or silver/white special is gonna be crazy $$$.

And your opinion?

YMMV and no problem... :- )

Tq (raining like a sum***** in Sacramento)

I notice bikes (even Knucklehead and Panhead Harleys anymore) don't really ever have "collector" status like old cars do. Few of the funky, looong "custom choppers" show up on Barret Jackson, but don't ever seem to bring any great amount of $$.
Hayabusas will always be worth something to the people like us, who like them. But as main stream collector items, I doubt it.

I hope they are worth something down the road. They are the the one's that started the hyper bike thing, and has continued to dominate to this day. I would love to have me a nice 99 copper. all we can do is hope that everybody else figures out what we already know.:beerchug:

Nope. Only a few, very few, will collect modern sportbikes. There are SRADS that are collectable and some RD's and a few versions of other low build bikes. The more modern versions are made like cookies and there are just too many of them. If someone would see a '99 as a collectable, I could see it because it was the first one, but after that, not so much...........

Unless they outlaw everything that can go over 120mph, IMHO your wishing.

My philosophy...bikes are made to be riden, guns are made to be shot...
if you want to make money...buy stock, gold, or land.

The other thing is there are a LOT of Gen 1 busas out there...10 years and
it was more than just a pretty good seller.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely banking on the collectability of the Gen1 'busas.

Agree. Big bucks.:beerchug:

I'm absolutely banking on the collectability of the Gen1 'busas.

Agree. Big bucks.:beerchug:

Look at a 25 year old....gen I interceptor for example.
My Son just sold his mint 500 for $1500 (after he had it for sale for 6 MONTHS).
He couldn't even trade it in...they only give him what a bank would
loan on it...

MINT
IMG_0546.jpg

I think your only shot is a rare bike and Busas are NOT rare, they only made
about 350 million of 'em ??? You pick up a low milage one for 6 grand

How many 500 interceptors do you think are still out there...

Well good luck anyway...

Last edited:
Even land and real estate will bite you.............

Take out the recent greed binge of people buying land and property they
can't afford only to flip in 3 months to make thousands, and the market
crashed...land/real estate is pretty idiot proof.

Land...they don't make it anymore (unless your going to put a Japanesse
airport on it or a resort in Dubai).

thats okay cause I say... "screw collectability"...

if you can't ride it like ya stole it and experience the joy of riding the bike the way it was designed, intended and built to be ridden?...then it ain't truely yours...but oren is definantly...

174098d1264281785-anybody-south-florida-wanna-ride-meet-weekend-busawash5.jpg

my biotch...not me hers!:poke::rofl:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

I notice bikes (even Knucklehead and Panhead Harleys anymore) don't really ever have "collector" status like old cars do. Few of the funky, looong "custom choppers" show up on Barret Jackson, but don't ever seem to bring any great amount of $$.
Hayabusas will always be worth something to the people like us, who like them. But as main stream collector items, I doubt it.

+1

A while back I asked the same question to a guy my father introduced me to. The guy collects ANYTHING...he has memrobilia from things I would never think of being collectible to a 64.5 mustang with 24XX miles worth a qtr mil on a bad day. The reason why I asked the question is the HD dealer got a 99 Copper in on trade for a Nightratin. I had the chance to pick it up for 5% plus trade amount...about 4900$.

The only way a bike is going to be collectible is if they are a famous custom fabricator and they pass away and the bike is ULTRA rare and #1 of very few...Im not talking about OCC, or any chumps like them...more like Indian Larry...

jdbrown12-If you go back to the dealer, please take some pics...I'd live to see them. The 99 copper busas show up on ebay 3-4 times a year, so they are not that difficuly to find.

Does anybody know the production numbers of the 99 models? Just wondering how many of them are out there.

Last edited:
As others have said, not a chance. Look at short lived limited production bikes like the first generation CBX which is over 3 decades old now. Very difficult to get more than $10K out of one.
My 1983 CX650 Turbo was only made in 1983. Honda made 1777 of them. Honda then decided not to produce the model and donated ~1200 as school bikes without valid VINs, no MSO and an agreement they could never be sold and must be destroyed when no longer needed. There were between 550 and 700 legitimate models sold world wide. Suzuki probably made more Hayabusas than that in a week.
Price was about $6K new otd in 1983. I've seen a few top $10K on ebay. If you paid full price new and factor in inflation, after 27 years you're breaking even.
In another 20 years I'm sure my CXTs will be worth a good chunk of change but not enough to retire on.

I don't even think the collector car market will rebound like it once did. There were just so many fools out there willing to pay $1 million for that special Mopar. Now a few years later they're worth just a fraction of that price.

Big bore bikes are far more collectable than smaller ones. An old Suzuki GS1100E or 1150E is far more collectable than the GS550E or the GS750E. The sport models (like the "E") are almost always more collectable than the cruiser models (like the "L" models of the Suzuki GS series). Same for the Kawis or the Hondas. As KZ1000 or a CB1100F will be more valued that the 550 or 750cc versions in the same series.

Why? Performance. Those bikes were the kings in their day, just like the Busa is a king today. A nicely maintained Busa will hold it's value for a long time and a first Gen probably will become collectable. Maybe not super collectible, but collectible nonetheless.

It's no surprise that a "mint" VFR500 only went for $1500. I wouldn't have expected more than $1200, and wouldn't pay more than a thou myself. Sure, it's a great old bike, but the VFR750 would be much more valuable. And the VFR750 really wasn't a "king" - it was seriously challenged by conventional designs like the GS750e. In fact, the V4 concept hasn't really blown away the motorcycling world and even BMW finally succumbed to the inline-4 layout to be competitive.

I think what really makes a bike collectable is: Did a large group of people aspire to it in it's day? When they were riding whatever they could afford at the time, did they lust for some bike that was just out of reach? Honda's CBX certainly fits that bill, and they are super-collectible today. The Triumph 750's, and more so, the Norton Commando seem to be that way too. And look at the mystique around the Vincent Black Shadow. Nobody owned one, but everybody wants one - I still do!

Very strange to me, but the Yamaha XS650 twin has also become highly collectible, but mostly because it's a Japanese copy of the Triumph/Norton design and look, so a lot of people wanted them. That VFR500 is probably a much better bike than the XS650, but not worth as much in the collectible market. Another thing about the XS650 is the customization quotient. You could pick them up cheap enough to modify and they've been turned into everything from cruisers or choppers to flat-trackers, and they usually look good no matter which route you go. That VFR500 had exactly one form, and other than paint and graphics, that's the form it held. No cult following.

The Hayabusa has one of the strongest cult followings ever. They get modified in a million ways. The ZX14 doesn't come close in that respect, and probably never will, even if it is a serious performance competitor. So you may never get rich off your stock Gen 1 Busa, but it will always be a desirable bike so long as you can buy gas for it!

Big bore bikes are far more collectable than smaller ones. An old Suzuki GS1100E or 1150E is far more collectable than the GS550E or the GS750E. The sport models (like the "E") are almost always more collectable than the cruiser models (like the "L" models of the Suzuki GS series). Same for the Kawis or the Hondas. As KZ1000 or a CB1100F will be more valued that the 550 or 750cc versions in the same series.

Why? Performance. Those bikes were the kings in their day, just like the Busa is a king today. A nicely maintained Busa will hold it's value for a long time and a first Gen probably will become collectable. Maybe not super collectible, but collectible nonetheless.

It's no surprise that a "mint" VFR500 only went for $1500. I wouldn't have expected more than $1200, and wouldn't pay more than a thou myself. Sure, it's a great old bike, but the VFR750 would be much more valuable. And the VFR750 really wasn't a "king" - it was seriously challenged by conventional designs like the GS750e. In fact, the V4 concept hasn't really blown away the motorcycling world and even BMW finally succumbed to the inline-4 layout to be competitive.

I think what really makes a bike collectable is: Did a large group of people aspire to it in it's day? When they were riding whatever they could afford at the time, did they lust for some bike that was just out of reach? Honda's CBX certainly fits that bill, and they are super-collectible today. The Triumph 750's, and more so, the Norton Commando seem to be that way too. And look at the mystique around the Vincent Black Shadow. Nobody owned one, but everybody wants one - I still do!

Very strange to me, but the Yamaha XS650 twin has also become highly collectible, but mostly because it's a Japanese copy of the Triumph/Norton design and look, so a lot of people wanted them. That VFR500 is probably a much better bike than the XS650, but not worth as much in the collectible market. Another thing about the XS650 is the customization quotient. You could pick them up cheap enough to modify and they've been turned into everything from cruisers or choppers to flat-trackers, and they usually look good no matter which route you go. That VFR500 had exactly one form, and other than paint and graphics, that's the form it held. No cult following.

The Hayabusa has one of the strongest cult followings ever. They get modified in a million ways. The ZX14 doesn't come close in that respect, and probably never will, even if it is a serious performance competitor. So you may never get rich off your stock Gen 1 Busa, but it will always be a desirable bike so long as you can buy gas for it!

Here....utra rare big bore 6 cylinder...30 years OLD...$6995

96384320_3thumb_550x410.jpg

1979 Honda Cbx1000, 1000, cbx 1000 for sale in Loveland, Colorado - CycleTrader.com

Yeah the bigger the bore the more cash than it's smaller siblings (usually)
7 grand sure ain't a mint.

Bikes just don't re-sell well period, old collectable whatever, so if anybody is
thinking of getting rich off their Gen I (or anybike for that matter) it's a pipe dream.

The other thing is...how old are you people. Busa riders are generally older,
I'm 45...so in 25 years...I'll be 70. Oooohhh...can't wait to rake in the doe then...
Think I'll just leave it to the Grandson by then...

thats okay cause I say... "screw collectability"...

if you can't ride it like ya stole it and experience the joy of riding the bike the way it was designed, intended and built to be ridden?...then it ain't truely yours...but oren is definantly...

174098d1264281785-anybody-south-florida-wanna-ride-meet-weekend-busawash5.jpg

my biotch...not me hers!:poke::rofl:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

+ 1,000,000 :beerchug:
As usual...You hit the nail squarely on the head

Mines a working girl and as she will always mean more to me than I can get
for her...she will be with me forever. Plan on at least 100,000 miles...then maybe
a rebuild. Have to see how she is running...just can't decide between big bore
or turbo (as long as we're rebuilding...) sitting on 35,000 as we speak so I got
some time :laugh:

Something is worth only the amount somebody else is going willing to pay for it. With the amount of production the busa has I doubt they will be hard to find. But the best chance would be the first two years. That would be because they were unrestricted and did sell as well as they are now. BUt still isn't going to bring in as much as lets say a 53 Indian. You might be lucky in 50 years and get twice your money.

Back