Clutch Slave Support

bronc3

Registered
I changed the counter sprocket on my '03 and discovered a small crack in the cover by the upper left mounting bolt that allows the cover to flex a small amount when the clutch slave is operated. The crack has apparently been there for a long time and is not enough to keep the clutch from fully releasing. Also, it doesn't appear to be getting any longer as it has stopped at a casting web.

My question is will an aftermarket slave support brace the slave enough that the crack in the case is no longer an issue? I am considering either a slave support or a new cover, but would rather not do both. I would rather have the slave support. I am running a stock clutch, so I never thought the slave would require additional support. I have always kept the cover bolts tight as well.

Get a billet cover and be done with it.
beerchug.gif

What's the pricetag on that? The stock cover is like 60 bucks new. I figure I managed 30k miles out of the original...

Still, I would consider the billet cover if it's not too outrageous in price. I'm not a big bling guy, but can appreciate the strength of billet.

Checked out the PMR cover and it looks like a killer piece, but pricey, $220 - $280.

OEM cover is around 60 bucks and a support from Schnitz is around 40 bucks. If I can get by with simply adding the support I would like to go that route. Anyone?

i wouldnt risk it.. do what brendan says and get billet you can find them cheaper than that price i have seen them for the 140-150 range

Keep your stock cast crap cover, break a chain and you'll have one hell of a mess to fix.
This is why you buy a billet cover....
You asked

I understand what you guys are suggesting, but really think the billet cover is overkill for a stock clutch and mostly street use. I would consider one if it was in the $150 range, but still think it's excessive.

What I am really wondering is will the add-on brace supply enough support to keep my current OEM cover from flexing?

Back in '03 the support was about the only option. The only billet covers I found back then were clutch and stator, mostly for bling.

it will probbably fail in time not worth the risk man but hey if your worried about spending money now . If your chain breaks and lets say hits your casing look anywhere from 1200+ in repairs. little now saves alot later.

The billet sprocket covers are a lot more for strength not bling! Just for the simple reason you got a crack in your stock cast one (and I'm guessing that you DO NOT have heavier springs) would keep me from ever putting on another.

Gotcha, thanks everyone.

Guess what I'm going to do is throw a support on it for the moment and look around for a decent price on a billet cover in the very near future.

There use to be some real nice billet slave supports for sale here that were priced good. i got in on a group buy last year for one and am very happy with it.

I am needing to get another one for a friend, but am holding off hopeing someone will make some more.

I am no bling either, but mine fits the color scheme of my bike.

IMG_0420__Small_.JPG

Brother Scott, it is good to see you coming back around! I am still running stock and will check for any sort of cracks next time I have the fairings off; I will say that I have one of woodcraft's billet stator covers - biggest reason that I waited so long was because of the bling factor... I am definately glad I made the purchase though.

Brother Scott, it is good to see you coming back around!  I am still running stock and will check for any sort of cracks next time I have the fairings off; I will say that I have one of woodcraft's billet stator covers - biggest reason that I waited so long was because of the bling factor... I am definately glad I made the purchase though.
Hey Shawn, wassup?

Next time you're into the left side, operate the clutch and look for flex in the cover by the slave cylinder. Even a new stock cover will flex slightly; but this is a bit more noticeable. Mine is cracking by the upper right mounting bolt of the cover itself. It looks like it's been cracked for a long time and doesn't noticeably affect the clutch operation. It also looks like the crack has traveled to a thick point in the cover and stopped. I could probably drill the end of the crack and tig it, but it's just not worth that much effort.

If I hadn't gone in to replace my sprocket I never would have noticed unless the cover failed completely.

As for the stator cover, mine's got a couple of scratches and I've considered replacing it.

I never really went anywhere, but have been focusing on dual sport riding on the DRZ and racing hare scrambles on the YZ(s). I'm beginning to play around in motocross again, but feeling a little long in the tooth to be jumping like crazy.

It's too bad, when I put my billet cover on, I threw out the stock one. I would have gladly gave it to you.

I'd have taken you up on that one.
beerchug.gif

I usually offer up my extra stuff here and then resort to Flea Bay if nobody here wants it. People will buy things as trivial as reflectors on Flea Bay; it's crazy.

Back