Clutch replacement, what brand? What mods?

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
So my 2000 Busa is starting to slip now under hard acceleration.

Beside the clutch disks, what parts should be changed? Such as springs.

what brand of disk to use? I like synthetic, so don't like this issues the Kevlar ones have, so would prefer to avoid that.

What tools are needed? Would like to make sure I have all tools, before I start the job.

And any suggestions where to buy the parts?

Thanks for the input!

I do OEM Steels/Fibers with New Cometic Gasket. You really only need a few tools, 4mm & 5mm allen wrench, flat head screwdriver,8mm and 10mm socket and ratchet, 1 quart of oil,a small paper plate and some clean rags..

+1 on the oem steel and fibers!
No special tools needed. Hint on the gasket apply vaseline on the gasket side that touches the engine this prevent the gasket sticking and tearing if yoh need to remove the cover in the future.

If you have a digi / other caliper you can reuse / save for later some of the fibers that are still on the thick side

+1 on OEM. Just from reading it seems most drag bikes use an OEM stack in an aftermarket basket. Most others don't hold up.

Stock. Otherwise only aftermarket I've ever heard good about is ape trac king

OEM work great but I went to Barnett for mine. You sure its the clutch?

I assme its the clutch... Last fall took it out for the final ride of the year, and it felt like I was spinning the tire (and when its cold up here, its easy to do without lifting the front wheel)

An then after trying to drift some turns for fun, I was not drifting, the clutch is slipping.

Can anything else cause the clutch to spin?

The clutch lever grabs at the very last movement (the reservoir for the clutch oil line is full, I did check that as well)

Where can you buy the OEM rings? (In Canada we get burned on most prices, so would like to order from the US and have it shipped up)

And does anybody suggest new springs, or better springs?

also look into up grading to 2002 and up clutch plates. The last friction disk is smaller and has 2 metal rings. This helps eliminate clutch chatter. If this is the first time changing your clutch you will likely need springs also. Go with stock springs, stiffer springs will crack your sprocket cover if you dont have a clutch slave support.

IMAG1298_zps13bfcb3b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the wrong type of oil you can cause the clutch to slip. If the bike is stock, or stock with a pipe you don't need to mess with springs. If the bike is making 230+ ponies you can go with heavier springs but should go with the heavy duty clutch slave cover / bracket. The OEM will probably crack and fail with the heavier springs.

I don't know crap but the pros will follow up

also look into up grading to 2002 and up clutch plates. The last friction disk is smaller and has 2 metal rings. This helps eliminate clutch chatter. If this is the first time changing your clutch you will likely need springs also. Go with stock springs, stiffer springs will crack your sprocket cover if you dont have a clutch slave support.

IMAG1298_zps13bfcb3b.jpg

Besides ordering the new rings, what mods (if any) would be needed to make them work?

Thanks

Just for info theres a website called spencercycle.com i purchase their clutch disc set i use synthetic oil. it works really well. i checked thickness with a caliper and a new factory steel plates and disc are same as spencer's kits. They are both made by the same company spencers are cheaper and works the same. I track my 08 Busa and drag it once awhile. I opened up clutch just to see how worn they are and they held up really well. I'm still using same clutch disc and holding up really well for me.

Back