Clutch lever

bluebusa05

Registered
i recently bought new chrome levers for my busa. i bought them both on and tried to start the bike and it wouldnt start. after examination i noticed that on the clutch side theres a little black sensor that gets pushed in and my new levers arent pushing it in enough. any suggestions? i was thinking about taping down the little lever so it always stays down but i didnt know if this was just a sensor too make sure the clutch was in or if it was somehting more mechanical.

Are the levers specified for your bike, year? the levers that I just purchased and put on worked fine. And, i would think that any aftermarket levers should work correctly if they are made for the specific bike. About the switch, the only thing that I had to hook up to mine was the plunger type rod that controls the clutch when lever is pulled. I did not see any adjustment there. If thats the same switch you are talking about. If not, someone on the site will defintly know what you are talking about. Good luck!

well there suppose to be the right ones for my bike, i ordered them off of ebay, still havent heard back from the seller. but i got the part hooked up to the plunger, theres a small black tab that u dont see unless u get down and look in there with the flashlight. when that is pushed in it allows the bike to start, if its not pushed in all the way it tells the bike the clutch isnt engaged so it wont start. im wondering if thats just a sensor to see if the clutch is pulled in or if it actually does more than that.

I hope you havent thrown your old handle away because there is small round piece of copper with a small hole drilled in the side that you will have to put in the handle.

I did the same thing awhile back....freaked me out to

dont mess with that...that is part of a cut out circuit designed to only engange the starter if the clutch is in.

If you disable it...you stand the chance of having yer Busa shoot forward when the starter is pressed and its in gear.

Dont do it, sooner or later you'll forget, and WHAMO.

RSD.

i still have the little round gold thing, i put that in and it still dont touch. so other than accidentally starting the bike in gear that lil black thing dosent serve any other purpose??

its there for safety...just like they said above...however i was thinking about the kickstand switch as well...if you just splice the wires from the clutch lever together ( taking the clutch switch out of the starting system ) you still have the switch in the kickstand.  I've done it a few times now...had the bike running go to put it in first and the engine shuts off... duh..kickstand is down.  So sitting on your bike and the kickstand is DOWN and the bike is IN GEAR it should NOT shoot foward on you if it is still in gear...it just wont start.  If your sitting on the bike and the kickstand is UP and the bike is IN GEAR it will move if you hit the start button. So you could just splice the wires together and eliminate the clutch switch all together.  I could be wrong about this but i dont think i am....i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong and i have no wiring diagram to prove this either...

<!--EDIT|TSgt
Reason for Edit: "...."|1139445076 -->

I believe the side stand switch cuts the ignition circuit...causes the engine to die...

but I dont believe it disables the starter circuit.

im not worried about the bike jumping forward if its in gear because i always pull the clutch in to start the bike anyways. thanks though ill try connecting the two wires togather that come out of the plastic piece.

well if you look behind the plastic piece the clutch goes into theres 2 wires in the back going into it. i splices them together and now the bike starts. just gotta make sure i dont start the bike in gear which i never do anyways.
wink.gif

well if you look behind the plastic piece the clutch goes into theres 2 wires in the back going into it. i splices them together and now the bike starts. just gotta make sure i dont start the bike in gear which i never do anyways.
wink.gif
If the brass piece is in the lever that might mean that the lever is not made right or not for our bikes. Might be why someone sold it. Also, becareful disconnecting saftey devices. They were put there for a reason. BE SAFE
face7.gif

Back