Clutch lever dragging

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
Hey Guys, swapped out sprockets and triple tree this week and decided to flush the clutch system. Ok, while flushing the clutch I inadvertently compressed the clutch lever pushing some kind of piston out of the sprocket cover. The cover was not bolted on at the time. I was using a mighty vac to do the flushing and bleeding. clean the inside of the cover out....pulled the clutch rod and clean it also...put everything back together....went together great.

Re bled the clutch line again. Took it for a test ride and all was good. Then about an hour into the ride I started noticing the clutch slipping in 6th and the rest of the gears....babied it home.

I noticed that the clutch lever will not pop all the way back out when depressed....causing the dragging sensation. you can actually hear it pop when I grab it to extend it back out. Anybody have any ideas of whats going on?

just waiting for youtube to update video

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of fluid did you use
rock.gif

Vid is no longer available
rock.gif

rock.gif

Did you put the clutch rod back in the exact way it came out?
I have heard of it hanging up if fliped over.

(dadofthree @ Apr. 08 2007,17:13) Still waiting on vid carolinadoublej. Why the name change
rock.gif
just uploaded the video a few minutes ago... Carolinadoublej is an old cb handle that I have went by for years..... Big Tuna is a nickname my dad & uncles gave me when I was a kid----- long story....lol
laugh.gif

(06BUSA @ Apr. 08 2007,17:14) Did you put the clutch rod back in the exact way it came out?
I have heard of it hanging up if fliped over.
You sir could be correct!

I do think I re-installed it correctly.....shiny side in the case.....dirty side toward cover...Even though I cleaned it with brake cleaner....I did not lube it when I put it back together. There was a small drop of brake fluid on the piston, but very very small... what do you suggest lubing it with? something as thick as synthetic grease or thin as wd40?

You need to look inside the resevoir. There's a spring. It may have fallen out of the way when the rod was removed. The Piston/Cup set includes 5 parts, not including the boot and piston rod.

If you have the manual check out Page 91, Figure 56

(Big Tuna @ Apr. 08 2007,12:51) I do think I re-installed it correctly.....shiny side in the case.....dirty side toward cover...Even though I cleaned it with brake cleaner....I did not lube it when I put it back together. There was a small drop of brake fluid on the piston, but very very small... what do you suggest lubing it with? something as thick as synthetic grease or thin as wd40?
Grease
wink.gif
any chassis or wheel bearing type will do
beerchug.gif

I assume that spring and not pressure gives you the return you're looking for on the clutch lever. Ba - STOP IT

(dadofthree @ Apr. 08 2007,12:56) I assume that spring and not pressure gives you the return you're looking for on the clutch lever. Ba - STOP IT
I'm always looking for more return
tounge.gif
clutch springs are the return...hyd pressure actuates it
wink.gif

Back