CLUTCH JUDDER / GRAPPING..... and LOCKED IN 1ST GEAR

marcair

Registered
2003 MOTOR WITH 2MM CRANK, 39K MILES NO PROBLEMS UNTIL...

Can not exit 1st gear. Motor will start - with clutch engaged. Forward movement with clutch disengage. But can not exit 1st gear. HELP.

Maintenance action immediately before the locked gear:

The last month I have noticed that the clutch was grabbing at 0 - 1 mph and becoming worse, (not feathering smoothly as before). Also, in the last few days, I noticed a rumbling at idle at the clutch only if partially engaged.

So with the Manual, I removed the fibers and steels and inner sleeve. Steers are not warped. The inner sleeve had distinct gouges, 1 for each steel, in the channels (pic attached). Appears the steels may have been hanging-up. I could not find the same / replacement sleeve (Brocks performance) so I ordered one in the pic (Right - existing, Left - new). I installed the new sleeve, similar to OEM design, an existing fibers and steels. The sleeve spun freely as the trany was in neutral. At start-up in neutral with clutch depressed - all normal. Upon pressing the gearshift to 1st, the motor instantly died. Restart w/ clutch depressed and rocking back and forth, I was able to get neutral. Again, the motor died upon pressing the gearshift. Interesting thing is that although I can not leave 1st, I can run the motor with the cltch depressed and not move.

So I removed the inner sleeve and outer basket to examine the items. Nothing unusual. BUT I INSTALLED THE OLD SLEEVE - NO DIFFERENCE with 1st gear issue. Since the gearbox is in 1st, the inner sleeve moves freely up to 2 revs and then more force is required for about 1 rev (the driveline also moves at this time) and then repeat. So I re-installed the parts again with same issue.

I have tried to exit 1st by rocking back and forth and even tried with the sleeve out but to no luck.

I will remove and clean the slave and check the rod just in case somehow I damaged it during the clutch work. How far should the rod travel during full engagement / disengagement?

Any ideas?

inner sleeve.jpg

rh existing - lh new replacement.jpg

With this statement " At start-up in neutral with clutch depressed - all normal. Upon pressing the gearshift to 1st, the motor instantly died" I would check the kick stand switch Also I have replace a lot of clutch hubs and have never seen one like that for a Busa

The motor is in a car since 2009, so the kick stand switch is removed. The old hub assy is 10k miles old without issue except now the wear marks. It has been suggested that the issue may be in the left side at the gear shift internal assembly. thoughts?

two brothers exhaust.jpg

Are you sure the kickstand bypass is still working?
If you put it in gear with engine not running will it roll with the clutch depressed?

The stuck in gear issue has been resolved by removing the preload on the gear shift mechanism. The assy appears not to complete its travel and then was binding.

Now I still am looking for a replacement inner sleeve to accommodate the Brock centerpiece. Am returning the new item in the pic. I lightly sanded the notches removing 'bout half the depth, and the juddering is less. So it appears the worn sleeve IS the juddering problem.

Back