clutch grabbing when hot

Hayamaniac

Registered
Hi guys,

I got one for you guys. I have a 08 with 10000 miles on it and like the title says, when I get caught up in traffic on a hot day I can ear the fans running, bike's temperature remains normal but after a while, the clutch starts to grab...kind of a on/off thing. That happens when I'm in first gear going very slow holding the clutch in longer than out. I'm not sure that I've explained it clearly, I'm french...anyway. What the hell does that?

Fibers can swell if they get hot, and the steels will warp if also. Pull your clutch cover off sometime and look at how much they travel when engaging/disengaging the clutch. It's not far at all. Don't take much to make them grabby.

I didn't know warp, I had to check it out in my english-french dictionary. It does that when it's hot, but wouldn't it do that all the time?

If the steels are warped then yeah, it would be grabby all the time. If the fibers are swelling it would be intermittent. If you are mechanically inclined it is easy enough to change the fibers and steels, and check the clutch fluid also.

Hi guys,

I got one for you guys. I have a 08 with 10000 miles on it and like the title says, when I get caught up in traffic on a hot day I can ear the fans running, bike's temperature remains normal but after a while, the clutch starts to grab...kind of a on/off thing. That happens when I'm in first gear going very slow holding the clutch in longer than out. I'm not sure that I've explained it clearly, I'm french...anyway. What the hell does that?

I switched to Lucas Fully synthetic 10-40w and it was well worth it. I could totally tell the difference in that oil.

Back