clutch disengage knock..

juneman318

Registered
Can anyone help me solve this question?? Whenever I start my bike (cold) it pounds.. I can pull in my clutch and the pound feeling stops, Like it's very faint. But when I disengage it pounds and it smells like burnt toast... when the bike warms up the sound goes away. when started (cold and pounds) I can put it into first gear and the pounding stops immediately. but the burnt smells persists. does anyone have suggestions to what this could be?

Check that the clutch pack bolts havn't backed out.
There was a recall years ago for some gen2's not getting thread locker on those bolts.
You can remove the clutch cover with the bike on the kickstand, and oil will not leak out/does not need to be drained.
If bolts are loose, you'll also see that they have made contact with the inside of the cover/bolt heads worn grooves.
If the bolts are not loose, then remove the clutch pack, and inspect and measure the steel and fiber plate thicknesses, as well as the spring height.

Check that the clutch pack bolts havn't backed out.
There was a recall years ago for some gen2's not getting thread locker on those bolts.
You can remove the clutch cover with the bike on the kickstand, and oil will not leak out/does not need to be drained.
If bolts are loose, you'll also see that they have made contact with the inside of the cover/bolt heads worn grooves.
If the bolts are not loose, then remove the clutch pack, and inspect and measure the steel and fiber plate thicknesses, as well as the spring height.
Thank you, I will check this out later. Nothing else is wrong with this bike motor wise, just clutch noises, I will get back with you tomorrow

(...)
(...)

jep and totally stupid from suzuki

that bulletin (see att. file) must be observed for really ALL ! hayabusa and b-king built up to 2013.
none of them got the thread locker in the fabrication in japan !!!

otherwise this result threatens to result in immense costs.

and - this noise can be a small warning - then one of the 6 small M6 screws has started to loosen and is hitting the inside of the clutch cover. see here
Thank you, I will check this out later. Nothing else is wrong with this bike motor wise, just clutch noises, I will get back with you tomorrow

look at @Bumblebee `s post above - figuratively said, he was only 1/100 mm away from the immense costs i described above.
so the hundreds or thousands of experiences here in europe I myself have certainly noticed this omission on 60 hayabusa or even more - when trying to loosen the screw, the stud bolt came out (together) immediately
my strong recommendation ! - don´t start the motor any more before opened and controlled the clutch - otherwise next start could occur the immense costs !!!!!!

good luck

Attachments

• Service Bulletin 199 englisch.pdf
    152.1 KB · Views: 94
jep and totally stupid from suzuki

that bulletin (see att. file) must be observed for really ALL ! hayabusa and b-king built up to 2013.
none of them got the thread locker in the fabrication in japan !!!

otherwise this result threatens to result in immense costs.

and - this noise can be a small warning - then one of the 6 small M6 screws has started to loosen and is hitting the inside of the clutch cover. see here

look at @Bumblebee `s post above - figuratively said, he was only 1/100 mm away from the immense costs i described above.
so the hundreds or thousands of experiences here in europe I myself have certainly noticed this omission on 60 hayabusa or even more - when trying to loosen the screw, the stud bolt came out (together) immediately
my strong recommendation ! - don´t start the motor any more before opened and controlled the clutch - otherwise next start could occur the immense costs !!!!!!

good luck
....and mine was quiet up to when it wasn't....it wasn't a gradual noise, it went from no noise to a lot of noise from one ride to the next.

As soon as I started it up and heard that noise, I shut it off immediately and went to work tearing everything I needed off to get to the clutch cover. It only took a few minutes to diagnose the issue and correct it. I let the bike sit overnight with the clutch cover off to make sure the Loctite cured properly.

Back