Cleaning your front sprocket!

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
I must first say I have not been very good about cleaning the front sprocket, chain and rear sprocket get cleaned all the time. On the way home from Laguna my chain started to make all sorts of noise and I thought something was going to break. I stopped several times but on the busa you have no way to lift the rear wheel when on the road.
So to save you the experince I had clean your front sprocket. Yes it's a little more difficult since you need to remove the sprocket cover and you may have to replace your clutch fuild, which is brake fuild DOT 4 or higher whatever you use for your brakes makes it easier. A mighty vac helps you greatly with bleeding it.  Expect it to take at least one hour of your time.
I would suggest you do this often at least every 1000 to 1500 miles. I know I will from now on.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121704484 -->

You said.... to save you the experince I had clean your front sprocket.
When do you want to do it.
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Deej
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121870261 -->

Sure, if you want to ride all the way out here, I will clean if for you, see you in a week if you leave tonight. However I think I said clean your front sprocket though not that I would clean it. But if your willing to ride from OK or IL to WA I will clean the thing for you.

I'm also in need for the front sprocket to be cleaned up. Not as easy as it looks though. Did you spray it down with some wd-40 to degrease or did you use brake cleaner?

Sure, if you want to ride all the way out here, I will clean if for you, see you in a week if you leave tonight.  However I think I said clean your front sprocket though not that I would clean it. But if your willing to ride from OK or IL to WA I will clean the thing for you.
he was joshing you over your lack of grammatical knowledge/employment.

I really don't think you need to clean the front sprocket quite that often. you just need to get something to protect your clutch slave cylinder, so your clutch fluid doesn't get all gunky.

As far as lifting up your bike when you're alone, try searching for a "liftstick" like this. I've got this one, and it fits perfectly under my back seat.

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121893851 -->

liftstick.JPG

1 works fine for me, you just need to strap down the front brake with the included strap-thingie, and make sure that the surface you're on is rough. If it's too smooth, the side stand and/or the stick will slide a little, keeping the back wheel on the ground. No danger of falling over (you can't twist the adjustment screw fast enough for that) it just doesn't ever lift up...

Jeez Manatrader, when I get up that way I'll look you up for that cleaning
laugh.gif

Maybe awhile though!! I was just joshing ya. If you ever get down this way holler.

So, just out of curiosity, what sort of noise was it making? Sort of a clattering, skipping teeth sort of sound?

I'm getting that now and with my chain being shot, I figure it's time to change both sprockets and chain. No problem in changing the clutch fluid. It needs it anyway.

Thanks.

Carl

It was a clattering type of noise coming right under my left foot. I have my new chain and had the sprockets looked at and they are both good. I got the DID 530ZVM2 heard it was a good chain for the busa.

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.

Back