Cleaning your camshaft oil galley?

Redcurbjumper

Registered
Anyone pull the stock freeze plugs out of your camshafts during a rebuild ? I presume you did , especially if your engine grenaded and put Metal in the oil.

what is the best way to seal up the oil gallery after bore brushing it with solvent? I’m thinking tap and tiny pipe plug would make me feel good.

share your successes and ideas....

thanks!

There is in the end of each camshaft opposite the sprockets
In 2002 I had someone press on adjustable sprockets onto a intake cam for me
I didn't realize they had some how pushed it out
rode 2k miles and noticed on winter rebuild shame on me for not noticing earlier
HUGE oil leak into head HEHEHEHE
I think freeze plugs is probably a misnomer. More like camshaft galley plugs. Freeze plugs imply a water jacket.

I get why you called them that. But that would cause confusion.

the ones in the head are not technically freeze plugs either
And I think freezeplugs are by design made from a softer metal with high zinc content, so that they give way easier when water freezes and expands. They are meant to be sacrificial.

The galley caps are more compatible with the aluminum expansion and contraction. I want to say they have a higher bronze content. The hole they fill happened during the process of casting.

They serve a different purpose. They aren't under pressure. But they are under tension. So you want that "springiness" to hold during temperature cycling. And they are cheaper than threading that hole and having a threaded cap. Threaded caps are meant to be taken on and off. Plugs are simply that. A cheap way to seal a hole.

As far as what they are called. Caps or plugs. Galley Caps. Galley plugs.

So there's my engine trivia lesson for the month.

You're welcome.

There is in the end of each camshaft opposite the sprockets

yes there are plugs in the cams

but those were only screwed in to close the hollow bored cams

and damn freeze plugs are only used at places where water could freeze to ice and crack a hull (what ever that is - water cooled cylinder head, etc. for example)

damn how stupid a man must be to ask such a question ???????????????

sorry at all politic correct´s

yes there are plugs in the cams

but those were only screwed in to close the hollow bored cams

and damn freeze plugs are only used at places where water could freeze to ice and crack a hull (what ever that is - water cooled cylinder head, etc. for example)

damn how stupid a man must be to ask such a question ???????????????

sorry at all politic correct´s
FWIW yup I am stupid :D

Back