Cleaning tips

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
I tried this stuff the other day and I really like it for all but plastics, especially the frame, just spray and wipe. Kinda hard to get in the tight spots but wad up the rag alittle more or use the edge or corner. I tried Mr Moto but it was hard on the finish left spots... I think that stuff is better for Dirt bikes. I use autofom ( car wax ) for the plastics. I also tried pledge furniture polish cause I read some of the Euro dudes do, but I didnt like it and make sure you dont get any on your rotors.

So what tips can you share?

4_28_03_001.jpg

I just use hot soapy water and dry it when done. I do need to find something that works better on the chain lube though.

S100 is pretty good stuff.....it was developed by a janitor , who accidently found out it worked great on bikes .
I use Meguires for the tuff grime(like chain fly-off) .
Plexus on my screen , an' other clears (tailite etc) .
Wash the bike with Armour All car wash .
Wax with Simoniz .
ArmourAll Interior Cleaner on the seat , makes it nice an slick for slidin' yer ass side-side on the twisties.
Been tryin' these new cloths from 3m , Microfiber .
After washing , I dry the bike by blowing it off with my air compressor . Dont believe in raggin' it off . Also when I wash it,I only use my hand , no rags or mitts (they always leave swirl marks right in the clearcoat) . I will however use cloths on the wheels an' tires an' frame etc etc .

Try this-

I use a clean rag and water to get the heavy grime off, like bugs and dirt. After the wet rag, I wait till the bike dries, and clean it with Pro Honda Plastic Cleaner. It's hands down the best stuff I've used. It comes in a black spray bottle.

Also, make sure your bike is cool when you clean it. Hot bikes seem to cook the cleaning polishes, causing a film buildup and streaking. It turns the spray into a pancake syrup feel, not good

Wipe it down with a clean, soft wet rag to get the bikes and heavy stuff off, then use Pro Honda Plastic Spray. Stuff works AWESOME

Mike

I use Suzuki bike wash on the frame and rims and Protect-All on the plastic, takes the bugs right off. I've been using it on all the bikes I've had for the last 12 years. The Protect-All that is, and DON'T get it on the tires.

I use a mild soapy detergent with warm water to wash. Then I use Meguiars spray-on detailers wax on plastics. This stuff really brings out the luster and shine in your bike. I will swear by this stuff. Use 'Streak-Free' 409 w/ vinegar on all the chrome parts. Mother's polish on the polished frame.

Brian

OK Cool,
Here's one though, what do you do to get rid of REALLY fine spiderweb scratches on your Zero G. DB screen? I tried plexus but it didn't get rid of the little bastards. Any advice would be appreciated...

Hey JWCFBD as for cleaning your chain you might want to try a product called Clean Up by MAXIMA I just tried it today on my chain and calipers and was very impressed and I have tried alot of cleaning product including S100 as for chain lube I use Super Lube by Belray it works for me all I can say is try it you may or may not like it but at least you will know

Soap and water to clean, Satin Creme made by Pro for the paint and Mother's polish for the chrome and polished parts.To clean the links on your chain a rag and some WD-40 spray it on the rag and it will clean the links right up!

OK Cool,
 Here's one though, what do you do to get rid of REALLY fine spiderweb scratches on your Zero G. DB screen?  I tried plexus but it didn't get rid of the little bastards.  Any advice would be appreciated...
I used a product to clean a visor the other day , worked awesome . 'Course now I cant remember what it's called . I'll chec down at the shop for ya today . Look back here tonight.

I use the Honda Pro Cleaner also, with cloth diapers. I also try to clean the nose section as soon as I get home from a ride. It it is a particularly buggy ride, I soak a towel in hot water, microwave it for a couple of minutes, then drape it over the front of the bike. Tucking it into the ram air ducts and just let the bugs steam/soak off. 5-10 minutes later I go out and remove the towel. This seems to take off about 50% of the bugs, and soften up what is left. This makes it easy for Honda to takes care of the rest.

I like the Zymol (Wal-Mart version) for wax. It is a pain in the but if you follow the directions but it gives a great shine to the paint.

Later,

Steve

I've got to put in a good word for the Honda Spray Cleaner as well. It's all I use for wheels, plastic, pipes, etc. Leaves a nice wax layer that makes it easier to clean the bugs off next time. Also great for cleaning your helmet visor.

OK Cool,
 Here's one though, what do you do to get rid of REALLY fine spiderweb scratches on your Zero G. DB screen?  I tried plexus but it didn't get rid of the little bastards.  Any advice would be appreciated...
I used a product to clean a visor the other day , worked awesome . 'Course now I cant remember what it's called . I'll chec down at the shop for ya today . Look back here tonight.
hey Rev....I used it again 2day...worked gr8....
Slipstreamer Heavy duty Motorcycle Windshield scratch remover . Long name...does work thou .

Rubbersidehey Rev....I used it again 2day...worked gr8....
Slipstreamer Heavy duty Motorcycle Windshield scratch remover . Long name...does work thou [/QUOTE].

Cool Thanks Man I will give it a try.

ALLWAYS READ THE LABEL FIRST!!!!
iamwithstupid.gif
Of course I dont read instructions, on my VCR, computer, ... cleaning products... I didnt rinse the S1oo stuff and it kinda discolored the alluminum. It says " ALLWAYS RINSE " OK - oh well - its better now.

I use meguires car wash for just a quick wash.
Sunlight dish soap to remove any grease or grime.
autosol metal polish for the polished aluminum, cuts through oxidization very fast, and leaves a killer shine.
Meguires dual action cleaner/polish on a high speed buffer for any scratches or scuffs, be very careful here though as high speed will cut through the paint on edges in seconds if you sit too long.....always keep the buffer moving and apply minimal pressure!!!!!
LiquidCrystal car wax to really make it shine, leaves no spider webs in the clear if applied properly.

I use Plexxus on the plastics and the tank, cleans and protects at the same time. I know I will get jeers from this but I hate spending hours cleaning tiny little crevices, if I caught in the rain and dirt gets flung up under the fender and all over the brakes I take it to one of those pressure washers and will spray swingarm, spring, brakes, wheels and fenders to clean out all the junk. Of course i have to lube the chain after but saves me hours of cleaning time which means more riding time.
smile.gif

Plexus on the bike and WD-40 on the black wheels.  If it's real dirty I use Pledge on it first since it's cheap and then Plexus.  I have yet to use soap and water.  I wipe it down after each ride and keep a sheet over the bike while being stored in the garage.

Honda pro spray is the way to go. Been using it for a while on all bikes and it works great. Plus if you miss buffing in any areas the spray dries clear (not like most that dry white).

Just dont let your busa know it's a Honda product, otherwise she might get pissed and highside ya. he he. Chris

Just thought of one more. I recently started using "rain-X" my helmet sheild. It says on the back of the bottle not to use on plastics unless reccomended by the mfg. I took a spare scratched and otherwise ugly shield and applied rainx to half of it per directions. Let it sit for one week exposed to the sun. After examination I didn't see any hazing at all, even appeared to remove some scratches. Then I used it on my regular sheild. Love it, doesn't fog as bad in humid weather, bugs (bad in the south) wash right off with water, and best of all I don't scratch my shield with my glove wiping rain off. Chris

Back